Maya 7 causes logout

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Negatratoron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Maya 7 causes logout

Post by Negatratoron »

I use Fedora 5, and I have Maya 7 Unlimited. I usually don't use XGL as my window manager, but XGL is on the computer, so XGL keyboard shortcuts like Shift+Backspace still work. Sometimes after releasing the mouse button when selecting objects, or when grabbing a move, scale, or rotate handle, I get logged out with no message or warning of any kind. In other words, sometimes when I click in the 3D view, the screen turns black and a few seconds later the login screen appears. This seems very similar to what happens when I accidentally press Shift+Backspace, so it might have something to do with XGL. Obviously, I would like to be able to use Maya without being logged out every minute or two. Thank you.

I keep posting problems here because so far, there is better tech support at DescentBB than anywhere else that I know of, including Microsoft's surprisingly effective case management thing. Thank you.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

X is crashing, very possibly because you have XGL running. Try getting rid of XGL.
Negatratoron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Negatratoron »

Thank you. It worked. I don't remember if I have already put this in \"Linux does not boot\", but it looks like there is some sort of character encoding problem. The letters around the little box in the corner, the frame numbers at the bottom of the screen, and all of the convenient HUD features, display strange characters instead of regular text. The characters that they display change as I rotate the 3D view. Screenshots of two different angles are http://home.comcast.net/%7Eterakai/Maya1.jpg and http://home.comcast.net/%7Eterakai/Maya.jpg in case I wasn't completely clear. Thank you.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Hrmm.... looks like Maya is an Xlib application. Maybe it's trying to display Unicode characters? Although the repeated string of E's and the fact that it's rendering in an OpenGL window lead me to believe that something else has gone awry.
Negatratoron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Negatratoron »

I just found out that XGL wasn't really diasbled. When I commented the old XGL line in xorg.conf, the computer added a new one. I don't know why Maya stopped causing the computer to logout, but it's nice that it did. :) Maybe XGL running could have caused this? I believe that Fedora Core 6 uses XGL and Compiz by default. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if I upgrade to Fedora 6, where XGL is built in and tested, it seems logical that Maya should work fine. In any event, I'll wait until Winter Break to reinstall the operating system (if I reinstall it at all), when I will have more time to fix the computer if it breaks. Thank you.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

It would be Autodesks's responsibility for testing Maya against XGL. And given that it's got its own OpenGL rendering going on, I wouldn't hold my breath. XGL and DRI don't really get along perfectly yet.