Getting rid of Bloated Windows XP software?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Getting rid of Bloated Windows XP software?

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Hey, I was wondering how to clean out some of the bloated software in windows?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Like?

Here is a useful little tool for windows that can help out a bit: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Though the one thing it can't cure is the built in zip folder support, you have to use \"regsvr32 /u %windir%\\system32\\zipfldr.dll\".
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

Format C: /u

....just kidding. As long as you're using Windows, you're going to strugle with this. Probably your best bet is to create a fresh install CD with nLite, and remove all the bloatware before you even install it.

[subliminal]uselinux[/subliminal]
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Heh, I actually plan to have a Linux partition but I can't use Linux for everything I own, such as Photoshop CS2 and Maya and Windows is a lot more straight-forward as far as installing and running programs goes. Also, Linux requires some knowledge of Unix which I don't understand yet. Hopefully I will be able to learn it over time during this year.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

At least in windows you can install new display drivers without having to resort to shutting down the GUI and entering 3-5 long commands in a command line plus manually editing a configuration file if required.
Moon
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Moon »

Is it still this complicated even with Ubuntu?
Moon's Descendarium - THE single-player guide to Descent 1-3

Maintainer of The 'official' Descent 3 FAQ

Coming soon to a domain near you
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

FunkyStickman wrote:[subliminal]uselinux[/subliminal]
:lol:

Messenjah,

don't make an extra partition. Install another HD and put Linux there. May save you a lot of trouble (speaking from experience). ;)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Actually I got away with using an extra partition just fine, but I partitioned the drive in windows and just left 10 GB unpartitioned space. Then I created the linux partitions manually during the ubuntu install. I may use a spare HDD to image it then blow it away and try some other distro once I get bored with ubuntu though. Grub picked up Windows XP perfectly so dual booting was effortless.
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Moon wrote:Is it still this complicated even with Ubuntu?
Editing xorg.conf manually shouldn't be necessary, as running nvidia-xconfig or the ATI equivalent should do this for you. You also only have to run this once per OS install, since all this does is transition from the open source drivers that come with your linux distro to nVidia's/ATI's binary blobs.

The next Ubuntu (Feisty) will use nVidia's/ATI's binary blobs by default, negating the necessity of this last step.

I recommend going the route of third-party software repository:
http://albertomilone.com/latestrepo.html

Once you set up Ubuntu's packaging system to use it, updating to the latest nVidia drivers occurs like all other OS updates, which is as automatic as you've set it up to be (by default, requires confirmation before installation).
Negatratoron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Negatratoron »

[]V[]essenjah wrote:Heh, I actually plan to have a Linux partition but I can't use Linux for everything I own, such as Photoshop CS2 and Maya and Windows is a lot more straight-forward as far as installing and running programs goes. Also, Linux requires some knowledge of Unix which I don't understand yet. Hopefully I will be able to learn it over time during this year.
The hardware ID (or something) that's used to activate Maya does not change depending on the operating system. I now have the same serial number of Maya 7 on both Linux and Windows on the same computer, and I would be glad to help if you run into problems.

GIMP is a nice alternative to Photoshop, but that's obviously a whole different program. If you need to use Photoshop on Linux and have the Windows installation CD, I can explain how to use the VMware (www.vmware.com) player along with the trial version to run Photoshop CS2 on Windows on Linux.

I use Fedora 6, so that's where I will be the most help, but my trick with VMware should also work on Suse or anything else that uses RPM files to install programs.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

I know PS7 runs perfectly under WINE (and has for a very long time, at least since a year and a half ago), CS2 might work now. Probably wouldn't benefit from any SMP support you might have, but still might be worth trying.

Gimp is so radically different from Photoshop in terms of workflow that I wouldn't recommend trying it. Not to mention that it doesn't help if you have other CS2 programs that you want/need the integration features of.

There was a thread on here not too long ago about someone's problems with Maya under Linux. Turns out that it doesn't like Compiz/XGL, so make sure your DRI implementation is completely up to snuff and turn off any 3D composition managers before attempting it.

@ Jeff: nvidia-xconfig, while an excellent piece of work, doesn't handle odd modelines or Xinerama correctly. It provides a wonderful starting point, however.
Negatratoron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Negatratoron »

DCrazy wrote:There was a thread on here not too long ago about someone's problems with Maya under Linux. Turns out that it doesn't like Compiz/XGL, so make sure your DRI implementation is completely up to snuff and turn off any 3D composition managers before attempting it.
I started that thread. I figured out how to get Maya to work two times with two different problems.

I have never tried using Photoshop CS2 on Wine because I can run it natively on Windows with the VMware player. From my personal experience (not that I have much experience :)), it takes far more tinkering to get Wine to work than it does to get a Windows virtual machine running.