Hosting a Website

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Negatratoron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Hosting a Website

Post by Negatratoron »

I am trying to host my own website. I am following the instructions at http://www.boutell.com/newfaq/creating/hostmyown.html which lead me to http://transposed.org/article/2

Everyone that I have spoken with can access the website from my IP (24.245.1.109) but I haven't figured out how to run a DNS server. I have attached the BIND zone file at the end of this post. I would appreciate it if someone would try to find a flagrant error somewhere, but I am so totally lost that I don't even know how to help you help me. :) Ports 53 and 80 are not blocked by Comcast, and I have the router forwarding them to my computer. I have tried just about every variation on the zone file that I can think of.

I am currently trying to host the website on Windows XP Home, but as soon as I get enough parts, I will build a cheap computer, install Linux, and run the server from there.

Thank you.

Code: Select all

$TTL 1

@       IN      SOA     ns1.negatratoron.com.      hostmaster.negatratoron.com. (
                        2007022354	; serial number YYMMDDNN
                        28800           ; Refresh
                        7200            ; Retry
                        864000          ; Expire
                        86400           ; Min TTL
			)

NS      ns1.negatratoron.com.
$ORIGIN negatratoron.com
ns1 IN A 24.245.1.109
www IN A 24.245.1.109
By the way, negatratorons are subatomic particles that a friend and I arbitrarily made up because we were bored. I like negatratorons. Most of them decay into hydrogen-3, but sometimes they go as far as lithium. :)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Did you buy the domain?
Negatratoron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Negatratoron »

Krom wrote:Did you buy the domain?
I'm trying to host a DNS server. It shouldn't be necessary to buy a domain.
Genghis
DBB Newbie
DBB Newbie

Re:

Post by Genghis »

Negatratoron wrote:
What did you think step 2 of your linked tutorial meant?
WWW FAQs wrote:2. Get a DNS hostname for your home Internet connection.
How did you "get" negatratoron.com ?

Your DNS server needs to be pointed to by existing, well-known DNS servers already on the Internet. This is the service you get by buying a domain.
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

I host a bunch of different domains myself, I use Windows Server 2003, their DNS server function IMO is alot easier than BIND

You have to purchase the domain name from a registrar (I use go daddy), and then tell the registrar where your name servers are

wtf, go daddy is censored??????????
I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on disk somewhere.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

ROFLZ - are you trying to setup an internal DNS server for your own network - you need some host file additions to do that - since you do not own squat. that will only work for inside your network. otherwise you need to chump out some change

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re:

Post by Krom »

Negatratoron wrote:
It doesn't work that way, domains aren't free no matter what you do. If they were, you could easily steal microsoft.com by setting up your own DNS server.

Most outfits you can purchase a domain from can also handle the name server for you. I use domainpanel.com for d3k.org, it was around $40 for 4 years, and they handle the name server (running your own is optional, but not recommended).
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Re:

Post by MD-2389 »

ccb056 wrote:I host a bunch of different domains myself, I use Windows Server 2003, their DNS server function IMO is alot easier than BIND

You have to purchase the domain name from a registrar (I use go daddy), and then tell the registrar where your name servers are

wtf, go daddy is censored??????????
And not to sound spammy, but you can save an additionall $5 off of a $30 order or more if you use the code "DIGG2". (Gotta love Diggnation podcasts)
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

ahh dns.

you can have any domain you want, provided every computer you'd ever use points to a DNS server you are operating.

its a bit of work tho.
Negatratoron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Negatratoron »

Krom wrote:
Negatratoron wrote:
It doesn't work that way, domains aren't free no matter what you do. If they were, you could easily steal microsoft.com by setting up your own DNS server.

Most outfits you can purchase a domain from can also handle the name server for you. I use domainpanel.com for d3k.org, it was around $40 for 4 years, and they handle the name server (running your own is optional, but not recommended).
Thank you. That makes sense. This is going to sound dumb, but I honestly can't figure out how to add a domain at domainpanel.com. I understand that domainpanel is supposed to ask for $40 at some point, but it has never even suggested a payment. When I try to add the domain, it just says, "Failed to add domain [negatratoron.com]". Is domainpanel supposed to create the domain name or connect to an existing domain name?

EDIT: Never mind. I recently discovered the website, "active-domian.com" that will supply registration. Thank you anyway.