M$ Sidewinder 3D Pro on USB - 2?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

steveg
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Adapter

Post by steveg »

I'd like to get in on this for two. I couldn't discern from the thread when the order is going to go through, or if it has already?

Thanks,
Steve
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

I'd be interested in 1 or 2 depending on the price. :)

RM
Fighting villains is what I do!
Buck
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Buck »

Hey folks, I've been away in Costa Rica for a couple of years. Heading back to California in September for a month. Looking forward to playing D3 again. I'll have to use my sons computer there and I'm sure it doesn't have a game port. Please put me down for one if you're still taking orders. Thanks!
Tha Rock
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Tha Rock »

I Need one of these too!! how do I get one?
DelCio
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

After taking the decade off...

Post by DelCio »

Descentile just showed the info on the converters to me & Peart. I just got D1 working flawlessly under vista on my laptop, and have several new sidewinders in the boxes, not game port so the usb converter is the ticket. I know we need at least 4 down here in FL for me, Descentile, Peartman, and Xciter.
zapp
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by zapp »

Holy dead threads Batman!

Are there any still available? I need one more. Also, I have a bare board, and I can solder- at one point I was supposed to put one together and document it for my sidewinder fix-it site- I would still like to do that, but I'll need parts and instructions, etc.
?????
ePsiLON
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by ePsiLON »

I bought a used SideWinder 3D Pro off eBay a couple of years ago. It’s collecting dust as of currently.

I’m very interested in one complete unit, for the purpose of revitalizing the above.
franckv
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by franckv »

Hi there!

Following links (starting from the wiki article there), I finally found this thread and I feel quite enthusiastic at the moment: there's another Sidewinder 3D Pro just waiting to get back to life here!

So, are those USB converters still available, or is a new batch planned (I confess that making one seems beyond my skills and grasp!)? One would be badly needed, indeed.

Thanks for your reply. Cheers!
DelCio
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by DelCio »

I guess as long as there are 3D pro's this thread will never die. Xciter can make them if we have the schematics. Can someone link them?
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Near the bottom of this page.
ImageImage
gerick
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by gerick »

I am not sure where this thing stands,
but I would like to put my order for
one complete unit also.

Thanks.

gerick(at)swbell(dot)net
nebuchadnezzar12
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

need one converter

Post by nebuchadnezzar12 »

VERY NICE PIECE OF HARDWARE!

i would like to have ONE of these converters!
have an old but fully operational sidewinder3dpro and want to use it via usb.

how much do you want for a fully assembled and working 3dvert?
i can pay you in advance!
can you do international shipping (to europe/germany)?

thanks very much!

doncolon AT web DOT de
Wasp
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Looks like this is the only solution

Post by Wasp »

I could use one of these as well. Running Vista 32 bit with a gameport but would like to upgrade to 64 bit which we all know doesn't support gameports.

Please let me know if I can get one of these on your next batch.
Ladyhawk
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Ladyhawk »

Still waiting. I'm getting that stupid \"not connected\" error, so I've stopped trying to play...D'OH!

Please e-mail me when / if you make some more of these converters. You could sell above cost and make a little money, looks like.
3dPrFevr
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re: M$ Sidewinder 3D Pro on USB - 2?

Post by 3dPrFevr »

Hello KoolBear,

I would be interested in purchasing two more of Grendel's 3d pro to USB Adapters when you get ready to make more for people to buy. Just let me know. When you do, just let me know the form of payment. Final Note: I prefer to do business in Paypal if possible.
-Regards,
3dPrFevr
KoolBear wrote:I've receive several emails and some of those actual orders for Grendels 3D Pro Converter - Original Thread and webpage http://descentbb.net/viewtopic.php?t=7090 and http://grendel.koolbear.com/3dpro.htm

If there's enough interest I will see if I can get more made, but I won't do the all the work like Grendel did. I will take them to a shop so I am sure they will be slightly more than the units Grendel sold at cost.

(format borrowed from Grendels previous post)

So far the following people have units...
COMPLETE UNITS(various connector schemes)
[??] 2x KoolBear
[??] 2x Grendel
[??] 1x Bold Deceiver
[??] 2x Aus-Red-5
[??] 4x Munk
[??] 1x Wes Topping (by email)
[??] 1x Jan Dujardin (by email)
[??] 1x Punisher
[??] 1x Eathan (by email)
[??] 1x BUBBALOU
[??] 4x Sharpie
[??] 1x joker23
[??] 1x DigiJo
[??] 2x Merl
[??] 2x Joski (by email)
[??] 2x WillyP
[??] 2x Wyre
[??] 1x Fredster
[??] 2x lithum
[??] 1x Jack Duff(by email)
[??] 2x Modak
[??] 1x Genison
[??] 2x splintr
[??] 2x Cyker
[??] 2x Daffy
[??] 1x joeykork
[??] 1x 2fndtn
[??] 2x claancy
[??] 1x petem-j
[??] 1x Grax
[??] 2x Laria
[??] 1x Tony12
[??] 2x Lightnin
[??] 1x Mr.Rsm
[??] 2x dirt
[??] 2x JazzyJet
[??] 1x Mowgli
[??] 1x crazy328
[??] 1x FearlessRahul
[??] 1x Kurgan

[??]BARE BOARDS
[??] 5x KoolBear (if <$15)
[??] 15x Grendel (if <$15)
[??] 2x flip
[??] 5x Munk
[??] 1x Mowgli
Running Totals...
PCBAs <63>
PCBs - blank <28>

TOATAL BLANK BOARDS = 86! I will remove my extra bare boards and Grendel will most likely be willing to reduce his. This way everyone that wants a board should be able to get thiers.

[nn] is the serial no., color code is:
* interested want more info.
* unit(s) reserved
* bare board only
* unit built
* PM or email sent
* PM not picked up
* payment received
* unit shipped
* reservation expired

I will see if we can get more manuals printed too.

KB
{UPDATED - 5:15pm 07/07/25}
3D Pro Rocks!!
Wasp
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wasp »

I guess if you want one, you'll have to take the schematics to a local engineer.

If you look at the dates of replies, you'll notice they're months old.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

hehe months. The list was last updated on July 25th '07.

Well over a year ago. :roll:

Grendel is way to busy and KB is MIA from this project.

As suggested above. You're better off making one for yourself. Check the other M$ Sidewinder 3D Pro on USB thread to find links and info on how to.

Otherwise, you're in for a VERY long wait. :shock:
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Maybe not that long. Some stuff is happening in the background. Planning to create kits (PCB + components.) Not w/in the next 2 months tho.
ImageImage
Usul
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

$$$ mark me down for 1

Post by Usul »

Found my sw3dpro this weekend, now if I could only find my .hogs =/
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

http://www.gog.com

6 bucks for the data files.
rcll
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by rcll »

Oh man I need like three of these. This project looks really cool.

I'm dealing with laptops so I can't install a PCI gameport card or anything. This thing here doesn't work for the 3DPro in XP/Vista right?
http://sewelldirect.com/USB-to-Gameport ... mepads.asp

I don't have soldering skills so I couldn't build one myself.

I wouldn't really know where to take the schematic you made, don't know any electronics shops that do custom stuff from a schematic like that.
Grendel wrote:Made an "official" schematic:

I hope you post a notice to this thread when you're taking orders for a new batch. I'm good for 3.
rcll
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re:

Post by rcll »

rcll wrote:This thing here doesn't work for the 3DPro in XP/Vista right?
http://sewelldirect.com/USB-to-Gameport ... mepads.asp
BTW, Don't bother with this adapter. It doesn't get the 3DPro's hat switch to work. It only works for the X Y joystick axes, the twist rudder, the throttle(which I never used) and the buttons. A 3Dpro with no hat is pretty useless.
Munk
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Munk »

Sorry, it's been over 18 months now since this thread started.

I'm not sure if the people for whose I booked the adapters are still interested... so I need to cancel my order.
3dPrFevr
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by 3dPrFevr »

Nothing posted here. Somehow posted two items.
3D Pro Rocks!!
3dPrFevr
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Updated Quantity for 3d Pro Adapter

Post by 3dPrFevr »

Hello Grendel,

I would be interested in purchasing four units of your 3d pro to USB Adapters when you get ready to make more for people to buy. Originally, I put an order for two units but have decided to change this. Also this sounds like your second run and Koolbear appears to have left the scene for some reason. Regardless, Just let me know. When you do, just let me know the form of payment. Final Note: I prefer to do business in Paypal if possible.
-Regards,
3dPrFevr

Also, this list is definitely not up-to-date. Maybe this list can be updated some other way so you know more easily how many units to make. Futhermore, don't give up on your product adapter plan. I think you have a great idea here and the possibilities are endless!!

Note: I have included my user name with quantity desired in a previous list that you posted some time ago. (3dPrFevr)

It appears KoolBear or Grendel wrote the unit list below: (I modified the count since KoolBear appears to be missing from the project.) -Updated 01/04/09-
-3dPrFevr.

(format borrowed from Grendels previous post)

So far the following people have units...
COMPLETE UNITS(various connector schemes)
[??] 4x 3dPrFevr
[??] 2x KoolBear
[??] 2x Grendel
[??] 1x Bold Deceiver
[??] 2x Aus-Red-5
[??] 0x Munk (It appears Munk has canceled his order)
[??] 1x Wes Topping (by email)
[??] 1x Jan Dujardin (by email)
[??] 1x Punisher
[??] 1x Eathan (by email)
[??] 1x BUBBALOU
[??] 4x Sharpie
[??] 1x joker23
[??] 1x DigiJo
[??] 2x Merl
[??] 2x Joski (by email)
[??] 2x WillyP
[??] 2x Wyre
[??] 1x Fredster
[??] 2x lithum
[??] 1x Jack Duff(by email)
[??] 2x Modak
[??] 1x Genison
[??] 2x splintr
[??] 2x Cyker
[??] 2x Daffy
[??] 1x joeykork
[??] 1x 2fndtn
[??] 2x claancy
[??] 1x petem-j
[??] 1x Grax
[??] 2x Laria
[??] 1x Tony12
[??] 2x Lightnin
[??] 1x Mr.Rsm
[??] 2x dirt
[??] 2x JazzyJet
[??] 1x Mowgli
[??] 1x crazy328
[??] 1x FearlessRahul
[??] 1x Kurgan

[??]BARE BOARDS
[??] 5x KoolBear (if <$15)
[??] 15x Grendel (if <$15)
[??] 2x flip
[??] 5x Munk
[??] 1x Mowgli
Running Totals...
PCBAs <59> New Count <63> (3dPrFevr Update)
PCBs - blank <28>

TOTAL BLANK BOARDS = 86 <91>(3dPrFevr Update-I count <91> for some reason. THE PCBAs were added to the PCBs)!

I will remove my extra bare boards and Grendel will most likely be willing to reduce his. This way everyone that wants a board should be able to get thiers.

[nn] is the serial no., color code is:
* interested want more info.
* unit(s) reserved
* bare board only
* unit built
* PM or email sent
* PM not picked up
* payment received
* unit shipped
* reservation expired

I will see if we can get more manuals printed too.

KB
{UPDATED - 5:15pm 07/07/25}
3D Pro Rocks!!
Sleeper
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Add me to the list

Post by Sleeper »

I want to get 2 units as well.
Wasp
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wasp »

Grendel,

Your official schematic \"3D-Pert2.pdf\" doesn't coincide with the Board2.jpg image or the photos of the vert2 board AND the BOM list.

The BOM list seems to match the schematic yet the photos of the board and the overlay of the circuit path don't match the schematic or the BOM.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

The BOM belongs to the PDF. The proto shematics have their own legend in the pictures. You'll have to match the BOM and pics by component name not designator. Board2 doesn't have the ISP connector, both protos use headers in place of the DB15F connector, as stated in the readme.
ImageImage
Wasp
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wasp »

Thanks for the quick reply.

After studying the schematic and the BOM, I see that there were slight changes to the components but not to their placement on the circuit board.

It was a little confusing at first, but probably just as well in my case, it forced me to understand what I was doing before I moved on to soldering.

I can't tell you how grateful I am that you took the time and effort to mastermind such a useful device for those of us who absolutely refuse to part with our sidewinders.

I would like to add that radioshack no longer sells the project box and pc board combo 270-283A. I had to substitute with project box 270-1802 and PC board 276-149. These two are not matched so some slight sanding to one edge of the pc board had to be accomplished to fit the board perfectly to the box.

I believe a huge THANK YOU is in order here. I've built my last 4 PC's around this joystick and now I am forced to move on to a 64bit operating system. With your solution, I can't wait to upgrade.
rcll
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by rcll »

If anyone is up for building some of these I'm definitely in for buying a few.

I don't know what I'm doing enough to build one. I can't find any electronics shops who would do this.

Grendel you have no plans for another batch? Is there a clear no answer there?
Wasp
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wasp »

As I mentioned earlier, I couldn't find the combo pc board and box so I had to make due with what they had. The board was slightly larger than the box so one edge had to be sanded. In order to get a flush mount of the DB15 and the USB I had to mount them on the side of the PC board instead of opposite ends. The box had to be completely re-worked to receive the finished board. I think I spent as much time on the box as I did soldering the board.

btw, I couldn't tell a resistor from a crystal but I managed to put this thing together thanks to the fantastic documentation and photos provided by Grendel.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Haven't plugged it in yet, it's late and I'm tired. Tomorrow I'll quality control check it against the schematic and finally program it.
Wasp
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wasp »

Update....

Got her programmed and all seems well. When I try to calibrate it from within control panel, it shows the responses going all over the place as I move the stick to its extreme angles and throttle positions and such yet after I click \"finish\" on calibration, the stick shows perfectly normal and stable.

Grendel:
When I used atmel's avr studio I had to select an ISP frequency manually, is that going to be a problem? The \"read\" was 1.00x and I got a warning when trying to program at a value under 5. I selected 125k as I remember and all went fine for the flash. I hope I don't have this thing dorked up.

I tested it immediately afterwards on the Windows 7 beta (64bit :mrgreen: ) and it found it right upon boot. Same problem in control panel calibration, but it results with a perfectly stable stick and all functions working.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Congratulations, very cool :)

125k ISP programming frequency is just fine, the rule is it shouldn't be above 1/4 of the target frequency which during ISP mode is 1MHz minimum (before the fuses are set).

It's not necessary to run a calibration, the SideWinder sticks are auto-calibrating. In fact I never even tried it :)

I still want to have some boards made, thinking about selling them at cost along w/ the components as a kit. No ETA yet tho, eyeballing Q2 or 3 '09.
ImageImage
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Cool. I'm still in. ;)
3dPrFevr
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Anticipication of 3d Pro Adapter Release

Post by 3dPrFevr »

Same Here!! I am happy to see this project is still going strong. It will be great to try the old 3d Pro Sidewinder joystick on a newer windows XP computer that only supports USB. Thanks GRENDEL! :D
3D Pro Rocks!!
crazy328
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by crazy328 »

i would love one as well, but if i only got the flashed chip that i need, then i could potentially get everything else and solder it myself
ManiacCoder
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

I'm in for 2 of these too

Post by ManiacCoder »

Good afternoon! I just stumbled across this forum while looking for some way to revitalize my old Sidewinder 3D Pro joysticks. The board looks like an answer to my prayers!

I'm not brave enough to try and build one of these on my own right now, though it might be a good project for the future when I have more time to tinker. For now, if a batch is made, I'd definitely like to get 2 of the boards. Thanks!
Kernel_Panic
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Kernel_Panic »

Very Cool Grendel! :D Please keep me posted if/when the kits become available. I'm still very interested in at least 2.

Thanks again!
Kernel_Panic
cougarjcm
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Count me in for 2 if you make them

Post by cougarjcm »

I am dying alot with this precision pro 2 and need the 3dp bad. Thanks.

Count me in for 2 if you make them
joker23
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by joker23 »

I threw my name in a while back for one.

I am still interested.

Please keep us updated!

As a side note, I recently updated my sound card to a Sound Blaster X-fi xtremegamer (so extreme they spell it with an 'x') and I didn't realize until I was done... no gameport!