M$ Sidewinder 3D Pro on USB - 2?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Munk
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Munk »

Fee's on Paypal are quite high, so it should be wise to give alternative options.

Personally, I would like to pay with Paypal or Western Union.
DigiJo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DigiJo »

hmm munk, maybe we can combine our orders? than KB needs to ship only 1 big paket to germany and you pass it on to me?

btw forgot to thank you KB and Grendel for the great work on this converter, that thing compares to the invention of sliced bread ;)
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

DigiJo,

You are most welcome, I just wis I could afford to prepay for all of them. But alas that's the life of a single parent of a 9 and 7 year old I guess :)

But I am more than happy to invest the time to get one of these in everyone's hands that wants one!

KB
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

If it would help I can take a second unit... I am sure it will be put to good use sooner or later ;) I have no objection to paying in advance, I can do paypal or whatever.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Re:

Post by KoolBear »

WillyP wrote:If it would help I can take a second unit... I am sure it will be put to good use sooner or later ;) I have no objection to paying in advance, I can do paypal or whatever.
WillyP, that's a great offer but only take a secomd one if you need it. I think our quantites are about where we need them to be. I am finishing up a good size projecct this week and expect that I should have time to pull this together.

If you want a 2nd one I will be more than happy to oblige but please don't feel it a requirement.

Best Regards,
Mike Sullivan
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

PayPal personal account is free -- people just can't pay via credit card, the money has to come from their bank accounts or PayPal funds.
ImageImage
Modak
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Modak »

Paypal would be cool for me!
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

I can Paypal from a bank account. Would be the simplest way for me.
Fredstar
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Pay direct?

Post by Fredstar »

Just another option maybe. I have paid directly into company bank accounts to purchase goods on a few occasions. Seems pretty straight forward I think. You could provide account details and we simply transfer the required amount directly. If there is no cost you can even set up a specific account for this project.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Re: Pay direct?

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Fredstar wrote:Just another option maybe. I have paid directly into company bank accounts to purchase goods on a few occasions. Seems pretty straight forward I think. You could provide account details and we simply transfer the required amount directly. If there is no cost you can even set up a specific account for this project.
Yeah, x2 on that one!
Daffy
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Daffy »

Heya KoolBear! Put me down for two complete units!

I miss my Sidewinder... :(
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Re:

Post by KoolBear »

Daffy wrote:Heya KoolBear! Put me down for two complete units!

I miss my Sidewinder... :(
Logged :D I know the feeling
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

I will get pricing for the components this weekend based on the quantities listed.

I won't get bare board pricing back till next week.

I'll should have pricing on assembly too.

The only thing I am sure is overseas shipping.

KB
joeykork
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by joeykork »

First time poster to descentBB...hi all.

Me want to buy one!!! :P
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Re:

Post by KoolBear »

joeykork wrote:First time poster to descentBB...hi all.

Me want to buy one!!! :P
Welcone joey!

1 unit logged.
crazy328
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by crazy328 »

ok, i have 2 questions..

#1 is it too late to get one?

#2 is there any way that i can get it compatible for a Force feedback pro? or would i have to modify it myself?
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Re:

Post by KoolBear »

crazy328 wrote:ok, i have 2 questions..

#1 is it too late to get one?

#2 is there any way that i can get it compatible for a Force feedback pro? or would i have to modify it myself?
Hi Crazy328,

#1 No it is not too late.

#2 Grendel will need to answer this one., once he answers and if you are still interested I will add you to the list.
crazy328
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by crazy328 »

well, if i can get it modified for FF Pro, then i definatly want one =P.. or if the current version that is being mass produced, kinda, works for FF Pro, then i'll get it
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Question would be: what's your background ? In theory it could be modified since the protocol is pretty close to the 3DP. I don't know if the FFP uses the same two trigger lines tho (X1 & Y2 on the 3DP). Also, you can't do force feedback since noone ever reverse engineered the FF commands.
ImageImage
crazy328
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by crazy328 »

well, what do you mean by background? do i have experience modifying, or soldering parts or stuff like that?.. i have not done that myself, my brother has soldered stuff, same with my dad.. but i just dont want to screw it up.. as for FF.. it doesnt really matter a whole lot.. since it has a power adapter, i can still feel some force even with it only being plugged in.. and that those two trigger lines, where could i find out about that? so that this would be possible?
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Some hardware and some software (C & assembler) skills are necessary to do the changes. Mainly the latter.
ImageImage
crazy328
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by crazy328 »

so i take it i'd have to do the modifications with some guidance from you?.. i know my dad knows some c programming.. and like i've said, he's soldered before.. so is that the case?

i'm mainly just concerned about ruining something.. lol, would rather it done right by someone else than done what i think might be right by me =P
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Re:

Post by Grendel »

crazy328 wrote:so i take it i'd have to do the modifications with some guidance from you?.. i know my dad knows some c programming.. and like i've said, he's soldered before.. so is that the case?
That's probably not enough -- take a look at the project, you can find it here -- the archive is behind the "Project archive 2007-01-19" link near the bottom of that page.

The only way I see how this could work would be me modifying the software and you testing it and maybe building a little DB15-DA15 adapter. I'm not sure I want to do it, I'll take a look at the FFP protocol. tho. If it's simple I could give it a try.
ImageImage
crazy328
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by crazy328 »

well, i've been looking for some time.. i've come across several things i could try.. i needa get a sound card for some.. looks like someone might have made a driver to make a gameport work with vista x64.. if modifying your design, and all the other stuff cant be done too easily.. then i suppose i can try that driver.. if that doesnt work, i'll just have to revert to vista x86.. or win XP..

i appreciate all your help.. if you are able to do it.. i'd be willing to pay a little extra for all your trouble.. thanks again
fndtn
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

M$ Sidewinder 3D Pro on USB - 2 units, if you are still open

Post by fndtn »

Since I own 3 of the MS Sidewinder series (stick, wheels, and the motion sensing pad thing), I'd be happy even if they just basically work again.

2 units, fully-built, boxed or not (if not available).

I have rec'd a number of sound overseas shipments via FedEx and DHL, which seem pretty electronics-compatible.

Los Angeles, CA - USA

Paypal's good for me.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Re: M$ Sidewinder 3D Pro on USB - 2 units, if you are still

Post by KoolBear »

fndtn wrote:...
2 units, fully-built... me.
Added, welcome to the party!
crazy328
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by crazy328 »

fndtn, just remember, this is for the 3D pro.. dunno myself if it will work with those 3 things.. might want to confirm it.. just a thought

Grendel - any progress thus-far? i honestly dont want to be too much a bother.. if you cant do it too easily then dont feel obligated.. i do appreciate you looking into it for me though.. thanks again!
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

I did a quick peek, nothing too deep so far. Problem is that I have to reverse engineer the FFP's data structure from the linux SW driver source (it's the only reference for the SW protocol there is..) Not easy and I haven't had the time to dig into that yet. Maybe over the weekend.
ImageImage
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

1st pass complation

Post by KoolBear »

1st pass draft compilation of expendetures related to this effort.

This spreadsheet is based off assumptions. I should have detailed pricing for the board early next week.

At the top of the pdf are two PRELIMINARY/BUGETARY prices one is for a completed unit the other for blank pcb.

AS I get formal quotes in I will update this sheet.

I have it saved in a pdf file CLICK HERE

KB
crazy328
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by crazy328 »

the reverse engineering is for if i wanted Force feedback, correct? or is it so i can also have all the buttons available? if i can get all the buttons, and not worry about the force feedback, that would be fine
Bold Deceiver
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re: 1st pass complation

Post by Bold Deceiver »

KoolBear wrote:PRELIMINARY/BUDGETARY
Great, thanks KB. Extremely reasonable, albeit preliminary.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

I just saw an error the first set of boards (60) was $440 not $400 I have in the spread sheet :(

Man I think I have an error on my spread sheet. please dis-regard my previous post. I got a detailed quote from Digikey.com for the electronic components. And it was considerably lower than my spreadsheet. Guess I need to see where my error is :P I did notice that nearly all componets were cheaper.

There was a problem with the main chip either it wasn't available or it was obsolete. I will check with mouser.com.

KB
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by flip »

KoolBear wrote: There was a problem with the main chip either it wasn't available or it was obsolete. I will check with mouser.com.

KB
New part number at Digikey is Atmega8-16PU-ND. They made the chip ROHS compliant and obsoleted other part number.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Thanks flip! I'll post a qote from digikey later today.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Something wrong w/ the quote. The price in the BOM is for the quantities specified already. The number in () in the BOM are minimum order quantities (sorry for not pointing that out more clearly..) Eg. the LEDs are $2.78 for 10, ie. it would be 50 for $13.09. Same goes for C6-9, R5-7, R3-4, R2 & R1. Also take out the 28-pin sockets, don't need them in a production board (spendy). Components should be below $15 that way :) I'll run it through DigiKey and append the exact price.

Code: Select all

Quantity|Part Number|Description|Unit Price USD|Extended Price USD

47  ATMEGA8-16PU-ND IC AVR MCU 8K 16MHZ 5V 28DIP     2.30000 $108.10 
47  LM556CNFS-ND    IC TIMER DUAL MONO 14-DIP        0.36000 $16.92 
47  X227-ND         CRYSTAL 12.000MHZ 20PF HC-49/US  0.51800 $24.35 
94  1N5226BDICT-ND  DIODE ZENER 3.3V 500MW 5% DO-35  0.21000 $19.74 
50  200QBK-ND       RES 200 OHM 1/4W 5% CARBON FILM  0.05400 $2.70 
50  4.7KQBK-ND      RES 4.7K OHM 1/4W 5% CARBON FILM 0.05400 $2.70 
95  82QBK-ND        RES 82 OHM 1/4W 5% CARBON FILM   0.05400 $5.13 
145 2.2KQBK-ND      RES 2.2K OHM 1/4W 5% CARBON FILM 0.05400 $7.83 
47  P5177-ND        CAP 4.7UF 50V ALUM LYTIC RADIAL  0.07700 $3.62 
94  399-4332-ND     CAP 15PF 200V 5% CER RADIAL      0.21200 $19.93 
190 BC1095CT-ND     CAP .010UF 50V CERAMIC X7R 10%   0.05010 $9.52 
94  399-4329-ND     CAP .1UF 50V 10% CER RADIAL      0.15700 $14.76 
47  ED90064-ND      CONN RECEPT USB TYPE B PCB       1.13000 $53.11 
47  182-15FE-ND     CONN DB15 FEMAL .318\" R/A NICKEL 1.46200 $68.71 
50  67-1647-ND      LED 3MM SHORT LENS SUPER RED CLR 0.27800 $13.90 

Subtotal $371.02
Notes: do not use the 16PI Atmega8, it's the industrial version and is not in stock. Found a cheaper LM556. Both chips have price breaks at 10 units. Total cost per board: $7.90 :)
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Cool Grendel.

So when and how do we start with the payment option/s?
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

KB, another quick note regarding the DigiKey quote above -- the components are not selected for automatic loading, they probably have to be loaded manually. If the solder guy needs reels or whatnot you'll have to work w/ him to find the right stuff.

P.S. Haven't had the time to check the FFP out yet. Looks like it's almost the same as the PP tho. I got one of those so I could run some tests. Wonder if the native dongle of the PP would work on the FFP.. And yes, it would be without any FF functionality. Limp stick. :)
ImageImage
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Qick question for crazy328 -- does the connector of the FFP look like the top one in the picture below ? (top one is a PP, bottom one a 3DP connector)

ImageImage
crazy328
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by crazy328 »

yup, looks just like that top picture.. if you can get FF to work easily, go ahead, but if not, dont worry about it
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Put the project on the backburner, turns out that the data stream from newer model PP is very different from the older one. I'll look around if I can find a PP or FFP for cheap and try again. The good news is that the hardware mod to support the PP or FFP is very simple -- a short wire betw. pins 11 & 13 on the DA15 connector is all that's needed. Even backwards compatible to the 3PD :)
ImageImage