Mozilla-Comcast deal. DNS over HTTPS

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Mozilla-Comcast deal. DNS over HTTPS

Post by TigerRaptor »

I can't help but feel Comcrap is going to abuse this.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/202 ... comments=1
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: Mozilla-Comcast deal. DNS over HTTPS

Post by vision »

TigerRaptorFX wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:21 am I can't help but feel Comcrap is going to abuse this.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/202 ... comments=1
Almost certainly they will. However, I think part of the reason they are on-board with Mozilla's TRR program is because those users are bypassing one of Comcast's "services" by using a different DNS resolver. ISP's don't do a whole lot, and if something threatens to make even the slightest service irrelevant then they will fight to keep it alive.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

The order my router is set to look up DNS through starts with quad 9, then opendns, then google, then cloudflare. I don't even pull my ISPs servers from DHCP.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Krom wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:10 pmThe order my router is set to look up DNS through starts with quad 9, then opendns, then google, then cloudflare. I don't even pull my ISPs servers from DHCP.
Mine router set for OpenDNS then Couldflare. Never heard of Quad 9. What's the main advantage, in your opinion?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Redundancy, otherwise its pretty much just like OpenDNS in that they both filter malicious domains, I don't rate one better than the other.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Thanks for the heads up. I've got Comcast for a provider (no other choice if I want a decent speed) I and don't want them sniffing through my traffic either. This deal is only going to make the evil empire even bigger.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

vision wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:09 pm Almost certainly they will. However, I think part of the reason they are on-board with Mozilla's TRR program is because those users are bypassing one of Comcast's "services" by using a different DNS resolver. ISP's don't do a whole lot, and if something threatens to make even the slightest service irrelevant then they will fight to keep it alive.
They’re going to have one hell of a fight on their hands. Hopefully it can be disabled through about:config. I would hate to lose Firefox, but there’s always Vivaldi, Brave, and many others.
Tunnelcat wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:59 pm Thanks for the heads up. I've got Comcast for a provider (no other choice if I want a decent speed) I and don't want them sniffing through my traffic either. This deal is only going to make the evil empire even bigger.
Anytime. Figured others here might want to read it.

Do you have WOWAY in your area? I had them as my ISP for while before I moved. They where a little slower than Comcast, but the pricing was much cheaper. Not sure where WOWWAY stands now.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

TigerRaptorFX wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:34 pm I would hate to lose Firefox, but there’s always Vivaldi, Brave, and many others.
I was a FireFox fanboy since version 2.7, but last month I switched to Vivaldi because FF has just been stupid lately. I used to donate to Mozilla because of FF and Thunderbird, but they don't support Thunderbird anymore so I don't see any reason to support them anymore. I hate that I'm just using another Chrome variant, but whatever, I have stuff to do and FireFox's usability keeps getting worse.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

TigerRaptorFX wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:34 pm
Tunnelcat wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:59 pm Thanks for the heads up. I've got Comcast for a provider (no other choice if I want a decent speed) I and don't want them sniffing through my traffic either. This deal is only going to make the evil empire even bigger.
Anytime. Figured others here might want to read it.

Do you have WOWAY in your area? I had them as my ISP for while before I moved. They where a little slower than Comcast, but the pricing was much cheaper. Not sure where WOWWAY stands now.
No, I don't have WOWAY in my area. We do have a couple of others, but their speeds are not as good. CenturyLink DSL royally sucks since they don't maintain their equipment and it's always crashing. Plus they don't have anything in my neighborhood over 40Mbps. Comcast is giving me 170 Mbps download speeds, which is sufficient if I want to download a game. I also don't rent their modem or router, I bought my own, so I can easily do what Krom does if need be, which may be soon from the looks of this deal. I may change browsers now too. :roll:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

I only use an insanely overpowered router that can go through a list of practically every DNS server one can find because I have gigabit fiber. If I was on ordinary cable at <200 mbps I wouldn't bother with something this extreme.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

the chromium based broswers are also adopting it DNS over HTTPS. it really should be opt-in
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

vision wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:21 am
I was a FireFox fanboy since version 2.7, but last month I switched to Vivaldi because FF has just been stupid lately. I used to donate to Mozilla because of FF and Thunderbird, but they don't support Thunderbird anymore so I don't see any reason to support them anymore. I hate that I'm just using another Chrome variant, but whatever, I have stuff to do and FireFox's usability keeps getting worse.
I'm starting to reach that point. If Mozilla doesn't get their act together soon, it's bye bye. I already deleted Firefox for Android since the new design is complete utter ★■◆●.