4-8TB external RAID5?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

4-8TB external RAID5?

Post by Topher »

I'm looking to get a RAID5 setup going with 4 drives, each 1-2 TB in size. My current case doesn't have the space or power to do it internally and I don't want to buy a whole new PC just yet.

There seems to be a ton of options, like USB, eSATA or gigabit ethernet. It doesn't have to be super performant, but good performance would be nice and it must be RAID5.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience or recommendation.
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

QNAP makes some nice NAS drives.
I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on disk somewhere.
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zantor »

RAID5 in an external array will probably be available in business or enterprise grade only, so you may be spending hundreds on an array enclosure. I suggest eSATA or gigabit Ethernet for the interface.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

USB interface on a 4-8 TB drive array? Yeah, that would take several days to copy all the data to or from.

Obviously eSATA or Gigabit are superior options since they will get the job done in hours instead of days.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

The only usb Connection on a Drive should only be for adding additional storage in a pinch or for a direct transfer for a system/network patch

but if you start with a 4TB that can upgrade to 8TB it's logical just to do the upgrade.

Also caution should be used, some NAS devices can not be backed up to one another... a key feature that that would be a deal breaker for me if missing

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.