Avast Antivirus reporting false positives in latest update

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Avast Antivirus reporting false positives in latest update

Post by Zantor »

Hey, folks. I don't know how many people here use Avast Antivirus, but when I updated today, it reported a false positive in Skype.

There is an article about this on DSL Reports: http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/The- ... lem-105773

I thought I'd provide people with the heads-up so that they/you don't get too confused. The article says that false positives were also reported in Spybot Search & Destroy, and other programs.
S13driftAZ
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by S13driftAZ »

Just to throw this out there...

On planetdescent.net, there was a thread about Spybot Search and Destroy reporting a false positive when scanning vortex....

http://www.planetdescent.net/index.php?topic=187.0
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zantor »

I'm aware of that; I'm registered on PD.net, too.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Arrrr!

...anyway, I have both that and Skype on the same machine and it pretty much updates itself whenever it wants. Curiously I haven't had that come up... yet. Maybe I need to update Skype.
S13driftAZ
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by S13driftAZ »

Zantor wrote:I'm aware of that; I'm registered on PD.net, too.
:D lol, Im aware of that too. It seemed like a convenient thread to tell everyone else in.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Re:

Post by Grendel »

Zantor wrote:I'm aware of that; I'm registered on PD.net, too.
He has a valid point -- there are other people besides you reading this forum that aren't registered at PD.

False positives are going on w/ all AV programs, hardly something to write home about. AntiVir is usually pretty quick to fix these, prefer it over Avast.
ImageImage
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

I was wondering what was up with Avast the other day. It went crazy after I fired up A-squared. But I figured it was a false positive so I just ignored it.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

TigerRaptorFX wrote:I was wondering what was up with Avast the other day. It went crazy after I fired up A-squared. But I figured it was a false positive so I just ignored it.
Does that mean you were almost pregnant?? :mrgreen:
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Yeah, I've seen a few false positives before. A quick google search usually tells you if its a false positive or not.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re:

Post by TigerRaptor »

Duper wrote:
TigerRaptorFX wrote:I was wondering what was up with Avast the other day. It went crazy after I fired up A-squared. But I figured it was a false positive so I just ignored it.
Does that mean you were almost pregnant?? :mrgreen:
No. But I'm sure that's the way you look after the holidays. Must be from all that eggnog you drink. :wink: