The Best Controllers?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

The Best Controllers?

Post by Tunnelcat »

Who makes the most reliable and bulletproof joystick, throttle and pedal units, Saitek, CH Products or Logitech? Or is there something better out there I haven't mentioned? I want to blow some of my Christmas money.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

CH is your best bet for the money.

Siatek after that, then Logitech.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

My Sidewinder Precision Pro joysticks are quite durable, only the hat switches eventually wear out. Although it is only only a minor half hour project to replace them. They aren't made anymore but you can probably still find them on ebay. Watch out for non USB compatible sticks and the Precision 2 (although it is mostly just my personal preference that I don't like the Precision 2).
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

The MS Sidewinder sticks (3DPro, Precision Pro, etc.) have by far the best reputation among Descenters. Partly because they were the best sticks being made during the game's heyday, and partly because they're really quality sticks.

Grendel can give you specifics, but the Sidewinder stick optical sensors are more accurate than most, and I've find them to be pretty sturdy. (Of course, I don't use the hat-switch, which is usually the most often-broken component for Descenters.)
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Re: The Best Controllers?

Post by Grendel »

tunnelcat wrote:Who makes the most reliable and bulletproof joystick, throttle and pedal units [..] ?
CH. Really depends on what you want to do w/ them tho.
ImageImage
S13driftAZ
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by S13driftAZ »

My dad hates his Saitek Cyborg Evo. He complains about how unresponsive it is when turning. He had a Logitech Wingman Force before this one for years and he loved it. Eventually the handle broke right off during a firefight with me.

Can I get a recommendation for him?
Sorry tunnelcat if I'm hijacking this thread.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

It's worth noting that MS is now out of the joystick bizz. (and good riddance) I know most descenters are Precision Pro fanboys, but the 2 I had were crap. Within weeks they had more mechanical slop than an old screen door. i actually returned my PP2 in a week for this.

The Cyborg Evo is a light weight stick. If you are a heavy handed user, I would NOT recommend using it. CH will tolerate abuse. Logitech will not. If you are looking for flight sim stuff. CH is the way to go. The Thrust Master cougar is good too, but very spendy and very heavy. Siatek make good flight sim equipment, but I've known of some players breaking their stuff; but only because they don't know how to treat their gear.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

Duper wrote:... I know most descenters are Precision Pro fanboys...
Actually, most of the ones I know hate the Precision Pro; they go for the original Sidewinder 3DPro (though it needs one of the Grendel-designed adapters to work with USB). I often see the MS sticks on Craigslist for just a couple of bucks.

Never used a CH stick, but I know some folks swear by them, especially their pedals and other components. Bubbalou is probably the resident CH expert.

As for Saitek or Logitech, I've never been impressed. Three straight Saitek Evo sticks broke on me within weeks, and I went through two Logitech sticks in a very short time as well.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

doh, true. The 3DPro was a good stick. (the hat being the exception, but then again, how hard are people on their gear;))

The EVO was a bad stick from all I've heard over the years. The 3D Gold lasted about 4 years and was 30 bucks. My X52 (a flight sim stick & hotass)has been good, not perfect, but suits my needs well.
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zantor »

I like my Saitek Cyborg Evo. It has lasted me a good year and a half, but it doesn't see heavy use, so that might be why; if you get one, watch for sticky buttons (just comes with wear) and a hat wearing out; I had to replace mine thanks to a sticky button after 6 months, so I've actually had one two years, but this particular one for 1.5. Saitek sticks come with a 2-year warranty. Duper, not all Saitek sticks are bad. :P
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Zantor wrote:Duper, not all Saitek sticks are bad. :P
I didn't say that. In fact, I tend to be a Saitek fanboy. :lol:

The Evo is too light for most folks. It was developed for things like easy travel to lans and such. Most folks that play fast action shooters with sticks (like Descent) tend to really hammer their equipment. Someone once told me that the Cyborg 3D Gold was crap because they broke the trigger off. That trigger can handle something like 45 pounds of force. One of two things going on there if they were telling the truth. 1) the trigger was a fluke and defective from the word go (which happens) or 2) they need to learn some self control. I'm on my second Saitek and very happy with it. I'd like to give the X52 Pro a go, but I don't have the money. Also, I have large hands and Saiteks tend to be larger than the average controller with larger throws. This is a problem for some and does take a little getting used to as your hand sits up a bit higher than most sticks. (1/2" - 1" depending on how you adjust it)
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

CH Products..... seriously if you want them to last

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Top Gun »

S13driftAZ wrote:My dad hates his Saitek Cyborg Evo. He complains about how unresponsive it is when turning. He had a Logitech Wingman Force before this one for years and he loved it. Eventually the handle broke right off during a firefight with me.
Wow, really? I couldn't stand my Wingman Force 3D, and the feeling was apparently mutual; the thing quickly developed that glitchy connection pickup issue that Logitech sticks were apparently susceptible to, and it got to the point where the input was jumping all over the place even when the stick was sitting still. Needless to say, that hit the trash a while back.

I still swear by my trusty old Sidewinder 3D Pro (plus Grendel's converter) for Descent purposes, but I've also used a Saitek Cyborg Evo for several years without too many complaints. I often wonder just how roughly people treat their sticks to have them break so frequently; my 3D Pro has to be over 10 years old, and other than some slack in the deadzone, it's still holding up just fine. :P
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by BUBBALOU »

Top Gun wrote: I couldn't stand my Wingman Force 3D, and the feeling was apparently mutual; the thing quickly developed that glitchy connection pickup issue that Logitech sticks were apparently susceptible to, and it got to the point where the input was jumping all over the place even when the stick was sitting still. Needless to say, that hit the trash a while back.
FYI the Logitech wires are made of 2 stands of tin and 3 strands of nylon.. instead of an actual core of metal stranded/metal... real cheap wins the contract

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Hey thanks guys for the input. I have an older Cyborg stick (I had to modify the slippery hat switch for Descent use), but I also already have the CH Products yoke and rudder pedal setup. The problem I ran into is when playing Pacific Fighters, I really need the stick and rudder pedal setup to fly the fighters right and the simulation will not properly recognize the stick when I have the pedals hooked up at the same time.

The CH Control Manager, of course, will not deal with an alien, non-CH stick, so I had the choice of either buying all new pedals, throttle and stick, or get a Ch Products stick and throttle to go with my pedals so that they will play nice with each other. I just wanted some input on quality. You helped me make up my mind.

My only choice now is between the Combatstick or the Fighterstick. I noticed that the Fighterstick has more multi-function hat switches than the Combatstick. More button selection availability or not, that's my only conundrum. I've got an old game port F-16 Combatstick, which is now equivalent to the Cambatstick 568. I liked the old F-16 Stick then and I don't recall ever needing more hat switches, but.........
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

it's going to be your preference

I do have both sticks, started with the combatstick

prop sims = good for the combatstick
jet sims - only the fighterstick will do
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

just FYI, Saitek does make pedals. about $100.

Whoa.. and a full line of Flight Sim gear ..er Equipment.
Peter
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Peter »

I personally like my Thrustmaster Top Gun Fox 2 Pro USB (mouthful!) It's still in fine condition after many years serving this pilot in many firefights.
halprin
Another one bites the dust!
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by BUBBALOU »

and a full line of Flight Sim gear ..and the Headaches to boot
:idea:
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

fair nuff!

(yikes)
Glowhyena
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Glowhyena »

I still have a Sidewinder Feedback 2 joystick. It is great but doesn't support on XP anymore. But still works as basic (not programmable) . Now I have a 52x Saitek that has a glitch in the twist axis. I'm feeling sad as wanting to play classic Descent series. I already used Saitek_Recalibration.reg. I'm beginning to make a plan to buy one. I might get a joystick without feedback. Now I'm checking recommends out for that before I do.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Military Grade Be at least 1 year for that throttle to be made into a consumer version
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Tunnelcat »

BUBBALOU wrote:Military Grade Be at least 1 year for that throttle to be made into a consumer version
Oooooooooooooooh, nice! I'd like to have that setup! Looks fantastic! I wonder what the cost will be eventually?
Glowhyena
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Glowhyena »

Ooh, it looks very nice but not for me. Now I'm okay with my Saitek without the twist axis. :)

*plays Descent*
NUMBERZero
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by NUMBERZero »

Jonathan Paskiewicz wrote:Now I have a 52x Saitek that has a glitch in the twist axis.
Oh! I have that problem too! It sort of twitches to the left (at least that's what happens to me)? Go to your controller config in control panel and set the deadzone to just outside of that twitch.
\"PUT THE BALL INNNNNN!!!!!!\"--What I was screaming on 3/7/09 PD Reunion Monsterball game
Descent 3 Anarchy: \"Just you, your ship, and a whole bunch of weapons to turn your enemies into slag.\"--TopGun
Glowhyena
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Glowhyena »

Hello, Numberzero. I know where it is but Kaspersky Anti-Virus program blocks it. I don't know why. Kaspersky is now paranoid. Before I got that program, I've set the deadzone as easy.

So, I have a Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals for Combat Flight Simulator series or realistic flight games.

EDITED
I'm sorry for saying admin are lazy. I didn't read old PM. I haven't use here for a long time. xP
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

FYI update, since this thread is going is in a current topic, I have added a \"CH USB Flight Yoke\" to my Arsenal... now I just need to order 2 CH Multi-Function Panels (MFP) once my Flight-Sim system is built

best place to get CH GEAR is Provantage.com ( search \"ch products\" )