System Restore not working

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

My Windows Me System Restore is not working. I have looked at different posts and also tried disabling and enabling System Restore to no avail. I have also looked on Microsoft's Web site and didn't find anything there except to disable and enable.

Any suggestions?
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Does your system have any restore points?
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

No, however when trying to fix the problem I turned off System Restore which I believe deletes all the restore points.

And am still unable to "create" one.

I did do the old DOS "scanreg restore" and found 3 restore points from July of 2003 but since the computer is running OK now (except for the System Restore utility) I didn't want to mess with it.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Time to install Windows XP Image J/K

Try running disk cleanup, sometimes it asks to delete all the old system restore points. Also make sure you have enough free space and system restore isnt already full.

-Krom
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

How would I tell of system restore is already full?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

In system restore options you can tell it how much disk space to use, make sure its not like 20 MB. Then run disk cleanup and clear out all the old points.

-Krom
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

From memory - each restore point is a minimum of 16MB or so. I have 6GB devoted to restore points. Image