Ubuntu question.

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Freakster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Ubuntu question.

Post by Freakster »

So I recently got Ubuntu, for those who don't know what Ubuntu is? It's an OS... Like if Mac OS and Linux had a baby, which is longer then just simply saying based off of Unix.

Anyway, I was curious if A: Descent 3 is compatible with Ubuntu, or if B: \"Wine\", A Windows Emulator, will work just as well.

So my real question is, anyone familiar with Ubuntu? Anyone know of ways I could play D3 while using it, or can I play it straight through like a Windows install or something?

Thanks for the help,
Freakster signing off.
This line is true!
The line above this line, is false.

My in-game name is Freakster as well.

Warning: Use of improper English imminant, it's not my primary language.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

First off: Ubuntu is a Linux Debian-based distribution. It uses the Linux kernel.

There is a version of D3 for Linux, though it's a bit dodgy...
Also, D3 has been known to work through Wine... Though I don't have experience working with either...

You may, however, get lucky and be able to play D3 through Wine on an existing install, though I wouldn't hold my breath for it.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

install instructions (not sure if they work) for the linux version of d3:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1062353
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

1. I had luck getting D3 to run native-ly on Ubuntu (read: linux) Via the copy an existing windows install and dump Linux binaries on top of it method. See:

http://jeffhendricks.net/?page_id=63

2. If you're looking to play multiplayer, a lot of levels fail the checksum test with the Loki binaries because of the way that the hash is done- there's a work-around. See:

viewtopic.php?t=9855

Read through the whole thread... I had it all working on my machine at one point before I changed over to arch.
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Post by Heretic »

If you want Windows base software to run almost flawlessly then run windows.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

I got d2xx rebirþ. I have yet to install it, þough it seems þat it's going to be a better way to run þe game than dos-box or wine. I'm surprised þere is noþing similar for d3...
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by snoopy »

Heretic wrote:If you want Windows base software to run almost flawlessly then run windows.
Actually, the Loki version is Linux based. Thanks for the valued input
Isaac wrote:I got d2xx rebirþ. I have yet to install it, þough it seems þat it's going to be a better way to run þe game than dos-box or wine. I'm surprised þere is noþing similar for d3...
D1 and D2 rebirth are possible because the source code has been released for them. The D3 source code is still locked up. Probably will be for a long time, too, unless it gets leaked when it's not supposed to.
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

like with the 1.5 patch
I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on disk somewhere.