RE: My discs are toast

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

RE: My discs are toast

Post by Thenior »

No idea why that topic was closed...
Bubbalou wrote:

Lets translate the above
So if I had a receipt that I purchased Descent3 but then i later sold it or destroyed it, Now i have the right to download an illegal ISO because I once owned it.

Makes perfect sense!

Ace: instead, resist the urge to go for a super-sized value meal at McDonalds everyday for lunch for one single week. Then you can buy it online legally and make 10 copies for yourself, not to mention the 10lbs

Point:

Just because he refused to take care of the only media that was considered tangible in this whole meaningless thread, he gets a 'free pass' to be stupid and download illegal content.

It's obvious who lives at home still attached to the umbilical cord.
Huh? That was really an unnecessary jab. I work 9-5 like everyone else, receive my yearly promotions on review, attend college half time with A's, been married for nearly 2 years, and have a 7mo son. You really have no idea who I am.

Read the OP:
AceCombat wrote: can someone help me with a ISO of the D3 Discs? my two are scratched beyond repair, and money is tight for me right now. id love to get back into the game
Torrents, in and of themselves, are not illegal. They are simply a tool to download software.

Analyze it backwards: If I had a disc, then I decided to make a copy of it (for backup purposes), and then my original was destroyed, is it illegal for me to use my copy? That doesn't make any sense.

Read this:
Electronic Frontier Foundation wrote: 4. What's been recognized as fair use?
Making a personal back-up copy of content you own - for instance, burning a copy of an audio CD you own.
Using the reverse of that logic, if I own a paid license to a piece of software, I am allowed to use a backup, mine or someone else's, of that software, and it would still fall under "fair use".

This is why many software companies are switching over to licensing a key. For instance, World of Warcraft, Microsoft Products, most online downloadable programs. If I lost my Windows 7 Disc, guess what? I can login to Microsoft and re download an ISO. Though this is not quite synonymous with a piece of software like Descent, the same concept applies. If I am allowed to backup and use my software, the whole point to having the backup is so that you don't damage your original, or so if the original is damaged, you have a backup!

So it would stand to reason that it really doesn't matter where the backup came from, as long as it is an identical backup of your current version.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re: RE: My discs are toast

Post by BUBBALOU »

Thenior wrote:Read this:
Electronic Frontier Foundation wrote: 4. What's been recognized as fair use?
Making a personal back-up copy of content you own - for instance, burning a copy of an audio CD you own.
Yes...
Using the Physical Media..
you physically own...
and are currently physically using...

To make a Working Backup..
to keep THE ORIGINAL safe and secure and in your possession

(at no time does it imply directly or indirectly the original is damaged or missing)

------------------------
General MIS 101 dude
------------------------

No where does it state the original is from a p2p download

Case in point your own words
Thenior wrote:If I lost my Windows 7 Disc, guess what? I can login to Microsoft and re download an ISO.
Interplay never has given anyone that right

-------------------------------------------

Fixed to be legal
Thenior wrote:Torrents uploaded by the publisher and or authorized distributor, in and of themselves, are not illegal.
-----------------------------------------------

If you would like to discuss the validity of criminal acts and how to justify them by using excerpts from online sources without actually understanding what they actually entail..

by all means go right ahead ...

I really need some comedy in this stale place

look forward to your reply

Also, do you really think your name is Ace.. other than the first line (makes perfect sense) the rest is about AceCombat... a wee bit paranoid
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Thenior should read the D3's EULA.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by BUBBALOU »

fliptw wrote:Thenior should read the D3's EULA.
The

! DO NOT DISTRIBUTE THIS GAME !
DESCENT 3 IS A COMMERCIAL PRODUCT

at the beginning means nothing to him nor any of the other kiddies in this forum

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I would guess that the other thread was locked because it violated the DescentBB terms of use...
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Actually Yes... violated by one of the DBB's own Moderators no less... go figure

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

\"Fair Use\" does not exist. The Descent 3 CD does have a type of copy protection applied to it (dummy data written to fill the disk), thus copying it is illegal under the DMCA even if you legally own it.

And I'll keep on locking it because it is stupid!