domain registration questions

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

domain registration questions

Post by Isaac »

When registering a domain do you have to put your address?

I'm with e(ignore this text)nom. Who are you with?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Yes, you have to give your address.

Most registers offer a masking service (for an additional fee) that will hide your address and phone number from appearing in domain look-ups though, if that is what you are concerned about.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

You can also select to register the domain using the address as the domain provider.

For instance, GoDaddy, 1and1, and SimpleHelix all allow you to register your domain using their company addresses.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

I believe that's what Krom was referring to. ICANN doesn't like it when you have fake contact information, so if you get a private domain, the registration companies will use their's instead. A good company will act as your liaison too and not reveal your information even by personal request, but they don't all go that far.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

oh, I gotcha.

I thought maybe Krom was saying that they would hide your info entirely.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

Thanks everyone!
Jeff250 wrote:I believe that's what Krom was referring to. ICANN doesn't like it when you have fake contact information, so if you get a private domain, the registration companies will use their's instead. A good company will act as your liaison too and not reveal your information even by personal request, but they don't all go that far.

I think it's against federal law to falsify whois data, but that's based on info from a yahoo answers post... I'll have to verify it later...

I'm going to find out if I can use my school's address, since the site is for educational use only and not commercial, or continue using my hosts address.

Thanks again everyone!
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re: domain registration questions

Post by Xamindar »

Hopefully people will slowly switch to this: http://www.opennicproject.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
With more government illegally seizing domains this will become more popular. The special TLDs on here are free to register. Of course, if you aren't using these DNS servers, then you wont resolve to them.
Why doesn't it work?
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

I might actually try that. Thanks!
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
forgive
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by forgive »

Yes definitely. It is necessary. If you don't wish to let out your address, You can register the domain with private registration. This could hide your private details from public view. You can get private registration on domain names from http://www.Tucktail.com at low cost with 24/7 customer support.