Spam Assassin + Mozilla = better internet

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

De Rigueur
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Spam Assassin + Mozilla = better internet

Post by De Rigueur »

My school recently got spam assassin -- so now my mail box is free of spam. After installing Mozilla, I have no pop-ups and Spybot/Ad Aware are finding much less spyware. What a relief! Without these distractions I can waste even more time surfing.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Just be sure to check SA because occasionally it'll mark legit e-mail as spam. (like forum registration confirm e-mails)
SSX-Thunderbird
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by SSX-Thunderbird »

I currently use Yahoo mail. It is marked 95% of the forum registration emails I've gotten as spam, which is kinda annoying.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Better solution: join an ISP who filters all spam mail for you!

I was *INCREDIBLY* surprised to get an actual spam e-mail yesterday! It's the first one I've had since November when my ISP started filtering.

This one had the subject "sandwich" and uesd taht sytesm wehre teh lttrees aer lal mxied up. It was selling p3n15 enlargement and "Vairga" - LOL!
De Rigueur
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by De Rigueur »

Yea, let the ISP filter for you. Before, I tried to filter spam with the .procmailrc file and I made 100's of rules. It was a losing battle because of all the spelling combinations they use.
ixion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by ixion »

procmail isn't exactly the best thing to filter spam with.. I use it as a message filter for custom folders, but not as a spam filter... Spam Assassin works like a champ, you just gotta know how to configure it..

Btw, your ISP filtering SPAM... what do you think they're using? I think it's a VERY good bet they are using SA.. Image
De Rigueur
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by De Rigueur »

As I said, my school (which is my isp - at least my email provider) is using spam assassin. It works by inserting a couple of lines in the email header which can be processed in the procmailrc file with:
:
* ^X-Score-High: .*YES.*
/dev/null

I just hope the bit bucket doesn't fill up. Image
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by ixion:
<b> procmail isn't exactly the best thing to filter spam with.. I use it as a message filter for custom folders, but not as a spam filter... Spam Assassin works like a champ, you just gotta know how to configure it..

Btw, your ISP filtering SPAM... what do you think they're using? I think it's a VERY good bet they are using SA.. Image</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or PostINI.