FireFox 5

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

FireFox 5

Post by TigerRaptor »

I mean really? Version 4 is still in beta and they are already thinking of version 5?

http://download.cnet.com/2300-2137_4-10006754.html
Glowhyena
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re: FireFox 5

Post by Glowhyena »

Maybe... Firefox 7.
MD1985
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

TigerRaptorFX wrote:I mean really? Version 4 is still in beta and they are already thinking of version 5?

http://download.cnet.com/2300-2137_4-10006754.html
Why not? It's typical (and accepted) standard practice with a lot of companies. For example: When Intel is introducing a new processor on the market, they already have the next processor in testing and later stages of development and the processor that will come after it is in early stages ... meanwhile the next processor after that one is going through the initial design stages. With Microsoft, when they release an OS, they already have a team hard at work on the next OS, and the OS after that is in it's early stages. With automobile manufacturers, they are building the car that will replace the car that has been released today, and the car that will replace the one being built ... is in the later stages of development with new ideas being thought up down the road.

This allows companies to keep their whole staff busy selling, finishing, manufacturing, testing, designing, brainstorming ... the whole process of bringing a product to market.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

x2 TechPro.

Stay ahead, or get left behind. ;)
Prepare for DESCENT!
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

AMD(ATI) and Nvidia usually have something to the tune of 4-6 different graphics chip design generations in flight at any given time. A new generation comes out every 6-18 months, but it takes 3-6 years to design and build a chip, so it is pretty obvious that they have a number of teams working on different chips and different stages of development at any given time.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Thanks for the lesson Tech on something I already know. :wink: In all honestly I know where you're coming at.

But seeing how steady Mozilla has been over the years with the resent version numbers. The sudden leap to whole numbers feels really out of character. I know Google has been doing this for many years and that comes to no surprise. But bring out 4 major versions within a short period of time. It is almost like Mozilla is admitting that Firefox 4 is inferior to the other browsers, because they have bigger numbers.

It just feels too soon.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Krom wrote:AMD(ATI) and Nvidia usually have something to the tune of 4-6 different graphics chip design generations in flight at any given time. A new generation comes out every 6-18 months, but it takes 3-6 years to design and build a chip, so it is pretty obvious that they have a number of teams working on different chips and different stages of development at any given time.
There's the key. When your product takes 4 years to develop, you have to have multiple projects going in parallel to achieve a next gen release each year.

On Topic:

Tiger, I tend to agree with you, maybe for a different reason:
I really am liking arch's rolling release model. I understand that for purchased software, you need to delineate version numbers in order to justify charging for upgrades; but when your software is free for download, who really cares what the version number says? My vote would be that Mozilla should release version according to the convention (Major updates being a full version number, increasingly minor updates being increasingly less significant digits in the decimal tree), and release small updates often.

Though, if the jumps in versions is an indication of heavy development, then I'm all about it.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
SirWinner
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by SirWinner »

I think it is great that the Mozilla crew are forcing Microsoft to make a better browser just to keep up with Firefox.

Internet Explorer (MSIE) took too long to add TABS that Firefox had more than 6 months to a year ahead of MSIE!

I applaud the efforts done in Firefox... it is great to see people that are security concerned to the point that they are PROACTIVE on fixing security holes unlike the REACTIVE team that works on MSIE that often takes way too long to fix glaring security issues!

Firefox's automatic notification of software updates and the smooth updates is very commendable.

This long time Software Developer appreciates all the hard work that is put into keeping Firefox out front in innovation.

Bill G.
Computer Programmer / Systems Analyst / Lead Software Developer for over 33 years.
- Age 54 (February 24, 2011)

8)
Glowhyena
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Glowhyena »

Beta 12 is worse than before. It sometimes freezes.
MD1985
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

http://www.canweshipyet.com/

A RC should be out by the 9th.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Paskiewicz wrote:Beta 12 is worse than before. It sometimes freezes.
Not been a problem for me. Maybe create a new profile for it, and copy over your bookmarks? I've seen dodgy plugins/extensions do some strange things. Did you install the extension tester?
"One spelling mistake can destroy your life. A Husband sent this to his wife : "I'm having a wonderful time. Wish you were her." - @RobinWilliams
Glowhyena
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Glowhyena »

MD-2389 wrote:
Paskiewicz wrote:Beta 12 is worse than before. It sometimes freezes.
Not been a problem for me. Maybe create a new profile for it, and copy over your bookmarks? I've seen dodgy plugins/extensions do some strange things. Did you install the extension tester?
Nope. I think the fox ran off a cliff and crashed into snow.
MD1985
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

:mrgreen: I find it hilarious that the only blocking bug is caused by third-party virus scanner crapware. Figures.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

I find it ironic that the vast majority of anti virus solutions approach the very problem that they're intended to prevent.

That being said, I've found virii on my computer before, so I guess I'm not immune.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Drive-by javascript exploits in your browsers cache don't count (and antivirus programs don't protect you from them anyway).