External Hard Drive

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

External Hard Drive

Post by woodchip »

While I see any number of external hard drives on the market, can you more experienced types give me some help of what the more durable ones are? I would like to be able to USB connect them and use between two comps. both using winXP. Like to keep cost below 100 bucks. Also is there any software issue involved? I would like it to be little more than a drag and drop system that the comp would recognize like any other CD/floppy type drive.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: External Hard Drive

Post by Krom »

How big of a drive are you looking for? And you want to move files between a couple computers this way, so I take it just direct networking them or transferring over the internet is not an option?

As for the brands, any of the big names like Seagate, Western Digital, or Hitachi should be fine, probably Samsung too. Generally the smaller ones that only need the USB port for power are based on laptop drives and should be able to take the most abuse without breaking down (doesn't mean much though, one drop from a desk is still enough to kill most hard drives regardless of the size). Larger ones based on desktop drives will definitely need a power adapter to work, so the smaller ones are best for just plugging in getting straight to work.

And software support is a non-issue, just plug it in and Windows XP or higher should present the drive to drag and drop files too or from. They usually do come with some type of syncing/backup software but I would generally ignore it because it is hardly ever useful.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

If you go with a model that uses a regular 3.5" drive, I really recommend you get a unit that has a built-in fan. As you know, these drives put out a fair amount of heat, and in a tiny enclosed space...you get the idea.
"One spelling mistake can destroy your life. A Husband sent this to his wife : "I'm having a wonderful time. Wish you were her." - @RobinWilliams
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Doesn't have to be all that large. Mostly word files and pictures. I did a quick perusal at Tiger direct and I see this Hitachi:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... =H450-8508

I just wouldn't know if it is long lasting (years) or will break down the day aftwer warranty expires. No reviews on it so that is why I come here for expert opinions :P
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Hard drives are always a shot in the dark, but finding one that is either a laptop base like the one you linked, or has active cooling if it is a 3.5" desktop size drive will generally keep them running longer, the rest is up to luck and handling.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

alrighty, thanks for input Krom and MD. I looked around a bit and will probably go with this:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=4226

Though as I rummaged thru various reviews this one also came up but never heard of maker before. You guys know anything about it?

http://peripherals.about.com/od/removab ... rSpeed.htm
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

If it doesn't have to be that large, what about a 32gb flash drive? You can find good ones for ~$50 these days. Plus, you can throw them against a wall, and they will usually still work.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

I've heard some very mixed reviews on a Lacie drives.

I just bought these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822136514
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817173042

Basically, 2TB of storage for < $130. And I know what Hard drive is inside.

There is a USB 3.0 version of the external enclosure - mine came with a Sata to eSata adapter, so I was content with that.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Wow, good thing I come here for advice. Jeff, I didn't even know about flash drives. Read up on them and looks like they will fit my needs to a T.
Thenior, I never would of thought about a standard HD inserted into a external cage. I like that idea also for larger storage. Cool stuff. Thanks for all the help gents.