changed drive names on host, now clients are confused...

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

changed drive names on host, now clients are confused...

Post by Will Robinson »

I reformatted the existing drives (to reduce the multiple partitions) and added new physical hard drives on computer #1.
Now the other computers on the network still show the old names and drive letter designations when I browse computer #1 via the network.
So now even though the other computers have permission to access the drives on computer#1 they can only find those drives that didn't get their name changed.

Is there some way to make the client computers 'forget' the old drives and re-learn what is actually available on computer#1?

Probably a simple question for anyone except me...Help!
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

On the clients, Either go to the Folders Control panel, or Tools-> Folder Options.

On the View tab, uncheck automagically search for network stuff. then go the networking neighbourhood on each client, and delete the stuff that doesn't work.

the make use of the add network places item in the same folder.

the Automatic search thing is nice... too bad it doesn't actually keep checking to see if things are stil there.
Bonz
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Bonz »

I've had that before also but usually a reboot on the client computers took care of it