fire sticks

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

fire sticks

Post by woodchip »

I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about these items as remotes?:

Impression I get is they somehow enhance sound and visuals. Do they or should I just stick with the remote that came with my Samsung QLED set?

curious the links don't seem to work.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re: fire sticks

Post by Vander »

The remote itself won't improve content quality, though it apparently adds Alexa if that's something you're into. If your Smart TV's Amazon app already does 4k content, I doubt a Fire Stick (which you plug into the TV with HDMI and use instead of the Smart TV's Amazon app) will improve things. The Fire Stick will have a different GUI and might be more supported as far as other apps you can install and get updates for (Disney+, Netflix, etc).

I prefer keeping my TV dumb and disconnected, using it only as a monitor for the cable box or Apple TV.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

A fire stick cannot make your TV look or sound better. If someone told you that, they are lying to you to get a sale.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Amazon has its own TV now.

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Thanks for replies Vander I think the same. My samsung tv has something called Bixby but I never activated it. And if the program has 4k then it can play it. Watching a King fisher fly up from underneath the water in slo-mo and in 4k is truly a amazing view.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

OMG! Samsung put that thing on their TV's? Ugh. I'm glad a got a Sony, which is bad enough with Google sniffing and listening all the time. Bixby is Samsung's attempt at a virtual assistant. Like Siri on Apple but not as well implemented. Google's assistant is much better. Personally, I don't like talking to my phone unless it's a live person. Button presses or swipes do just fine. I certainly wouldn't like to talk to the TV to get things done and I wouldn't want it listening all the time either. Who knows where your conversations are going in the ether. I don't even use Comcast's voice remote even though they nag me on screen how easy it is to use. It's just too damn creepy.

https://nerdschalk.com/samsungs-bixby-t ... -the-ugly/

How to turn it off if your TV is a 2021 model.

Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.