Descent Mission Builder

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

mike8887123
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Descent Mission Builder

Post by mike8887123 »

Hello,

I have been messing with descent mission builder (version 2.1 b) that came with the descent II infinite abyss game. I found this in the basement. Apparently, I bought it long ago and have never played it until recently. For the background, the system I'm trying to use this on is a Windows XP Pro (SP2). I have 3 GB RAM and a 230 GB hard drive.

Anyway, I've been trying to use the mission builder to build levels, but it makes no sense. I've read the entire mission builder booklet, online tutorials, etc. Nowhere does it explain what I need explained.

All I see is a black screen with a line on it. When I try different functions, such as add cube or add object, it just changes the color of something on the line. It is very cryptic and makes no sense. If this is how its supposed to work, then I don't understand how I'm supposed to know what I'm editing. Can someone explain how to get a better visual of the level as you build? Isn't supposed to look more like the map-view (during the game) when you're editing?

PS: I've tried loading other complete levels (that I've downloaded), and they too appear as just a colored line. How am I supposed to know what's what when everything is just a line? Doesn't it let you see what's going on while you edit? Or am I supposed to just work with a colored line the whole time? If this is how its supposed to work, then can someone explain to me how on earth anybody is supposed to edit/make a level without seeing what you're building? Or maybe its an issue with my operating system. I noticed the booklet says for Windows 95 or 3.X. Is there some kind of upgrade I need in order to see what I'm editing?

Thanks,

~Mike
akula65
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: Descent Mission Builder

Post by akula65 »

You might want to check out DLE-XP:

http://www.descent2.de/dle-xp-intro.html
http://www.descent2.de/forum/index.php

Note that there is a DLE-XP subforum on this board as well:

http://descentbb.net/viewforum.php?f=35

Here is a thread with additional developer resources:

http://www.planetdescent.net/index.php/topic,382.0.html
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Something's broken with DMB2 on your computer for sure. I'm not sure how you'd go about fixing it, but I'd recommend using DLE (formerly DLE-XP) anyway - it's probably going to work better.
mike8887123
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by mike8887123 »

Ok, thanks so much for your input. I knew something was wrong with the way my computer was rendering the DMBII editor. So here's my next question: I downloaded the DLE-XP, but the file I downloaded is a *.7z extension (dle-1.11.69.7z). It shows up on my desktop as an unregistered file-type icon. Is this an installer file? If so, then how do I install it? Perhaps I downloaded the wrong thing? Shouldn't an installer be a *.exe type? I downloaded it from the link one of you guys provided, here: http://www.descent2.de/dle-xp-intro.html.

Thanks for your input.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

.7z is basically a zip file, opens with the free 7-zip utility: http://www.7-zip.org
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Yeah 7zip should be your default archive program, don't forget to go into the 7zip programs option and associate it with all types of archives and also integrate it into your context menu

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
mike8887123
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by mike8887123 »

I downloaded and installed 7zip, and installed the program. DLE-XP crashes right at start-up.
akula65
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by akula65 »

What error messages (if any) do you get when DLE crashes?

What make and model graphics adapter does your computer use and what is the version number of the driver? Do you know for a fact that your graphics adapter supports 3D programs (older Intel and/or onboard graphics chipsets frequently don't)?
mike8887123
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by mike8887123 »

One thing for sure- thank you guys for your prompt replies. You're very fast! I appreciate it.

Anyway, there is no error message from DLE. The window starts, but doesn't render completely (you can still see the desktop through the editor because it doesn't fully fire up). It hangs like that for a few seconds. Then the small box pops up like an exception occurred and says something like "this program encountered a problem and has to close." Its the same window that asks if you want to send the error report to Microsoft. I'm sure this is an error message from Windows and not DLE. I get the same message in visual basic when I screw up my code.

I'll have to get back with you later on the specs of the graphics cards you're asking for. I'm in the process of moving to a different state this week, so I have to put this on hold.

It might have something to do with the fact that I downloaded 7zip on my windows7 machine, extracted the files there, and then transferred, via jump drive, the DLE files to my XP machine. Maybe I have to install 7zip on the XP machine and extract everything right on that machine. I'll try that next.

Thanks... I'll be back later.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

7zip is basically like a zip archive - the contents are the contents, doesn't matter where you are - it's not an installer.

Does DLE run on the Windows 7 machine, by any chance? If so that might indicate dependency issues of some sort. You may not have Descent installed on that machine but the editor should at least open.