How to extract HOG file?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

DoTheGeek
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

How to extract HOG file?

Post by DoTheGeek »

Please assist. I'm on Linux.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: How to extract HOG file?

Post by Krom »

The HOG tools I know of only work in Windows (or perhaps they work under WINE).
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Yeah, in fact, ALL of Descent editing tools are made to work on either DOS or Windows, exclusively.
Up to today, it doesn't exist any Descent tool designed to work natively on Linux.

But as Krom says, you might want to try Wine or maybe a Virtual Machine with Windows on it or even a dual-boot installation. :)
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
DoTheGeek
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DoTheGeek »

How about dosbox? Could it get the job done?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Yeah, a DOS based tool could probably work in dosbox. But then the question is finding one, by the time D2 rolled around pretty much everything was win32.
akula65
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by akula65 »

The file format for .HOG files is trivial (an uncompressed archive):

http://www.descent2.com/ddn/specs/hog/

Anybody who has taken a course covering file manipulation in any procedural or object-oriented language can write an extraction program easily. The real question is which content files did you want to manipulate and what exactly did you want to do with them.
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Exactly as akula said, depending on which type of files you want to manipulate, you may get to a point where you can't do anything but use the Windows Descent tools (i.e. for editing polymodels, robots, etc, you may need to use DM Robot Construction Kit, that is a Win32 application).

Fortunately, for level edition there is the old Devil that works on DOSBox and the new SDLDevil source code, if you want to port it to Linux.
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)