tv speaker replacement

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

tv speaker replacement

Post by ReadyMan »

The wife is bugging me to find a replacement for our blown tv speakers (panasonic flatscreen).
Any recommendations for a soundbar?

Thanks for any input!
Fighting villains is what I do!
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re: tv speaker replacement

Post by snoopy »

You set on a soundbar?

I have a 5.1 system and love it....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 0022-00010

with

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6882290174

It's in a small room so I've never really tested exactly how loud it can go, but The quality has been great to my ear. It's strange to watch things without surround these days....
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

Vizio and Sony make great sound bar setups
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Seconding the Yamaha, I have a Yamaha 5.1 system on my PC even.

Actually the major reason I prefer a home theater system over TV speakers or sound bars is because for whatever reason they seem to be easier to hear over background noise at lower volume levels. I can clearly hear the evening news or any other talking at what feels like half the volume level it takes to get it from TV speakers. It really makes a difference, the TV alone has to be so loud it hurts, but you can clearly hear the home theater system at a much more comfortable volume level.

Of course I've also heard plenty of home theater systems turned up wayyyyy to loud and with the subwoofer set to double that, so there are plenty of ways to make even a expensive home theater system sound bleeding ear cancer awful if you take it too far. But if you hook one up with the right inputs, position the speakers reasonably, and keep a leash on the volume dial, even a relatively inexpensive system can be pretty hard to beat.
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

Good points.
the Yamaha system and Bose system at Costco seem like good buys.
I have a stereo system I'm going to try and set up first...but if that doesnt work, I'll go for the Bose (once I get some cash).

Thanks for the input!
Fighting villains is what I do!
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Don't get the Bose system, overpriced and they sound awful.

Get the Yamaha, mine is like 10-12 years old now and it still works perfectly fine, the only thing it doesn't have that I would like these days is an HDMI input (since it is from before HDMI existed). Mine is 650 watts RMS total for the system, the volume adjustment goes from -80 to +16, the loudest I listen to it is about -50 for music and -40 for videos (because they are normalized lower), otherwise it gets too loud. At +16 you could probably hear it clearly in the basement across the street.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I second Krom on the Bose speakers. Cost too much and sound pathetic.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.