Install Descent 3 on Linux/Debian + Patches

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

bayreuthdude
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Install Descent 3 on Linux/Debian + Patches

Post by bayreuthdude »

Hello,

I'm not sure if this post is in the right subforum, so please move it if it doesn't fit in this one.

I am trying to install the official Linux version of Descent 3 on Debian 8 Jessie (64 bit). I bought from ixsoft the Descent 3 CD (two CDs with Linux installer. The setup.gtk files from the CD do not work, so I copied everything from the installation CD to my hard disk and ran setup.sh, but this script can't recognize my architecture (I added via dpkg --add-architecture the i386 arch). When I run it, it says

Code: Select all

./setup.sh: 9: ./setup.sh: function: not found
x86_64
If I run descent3/bin/x86/glibc-2.1/descent

Descent 3 Message(Error: Couldn't find the string table.)

System Error
So I copied the descent executable to the root of my installation directory ("descent3"). When I run it there, my screen resolution changes and the program hangs. If I run it in windowed mode, I get a transparent window with no content.

Then I got the compatibility libraries from lokigames and followed the instructions for Descent 3. If I run the Descent 3 executable with their parameters (with or without sudo):

LD_PRELOAD=/home/arthur/d3/Loki_Compat/libstdc++-3-libc6.2-2-2.10.0.so:/home/arthur/d3/Loki_Compat/libsmpeg-0.4.so.0.1.3 ./descent3
I get:

./descent3: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Am I missing any packages? Or should I maybe use a complete different method for installing/running the game?
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Install Descent 3 on Linux/Debian + Patches

Post by Jeff250 »

See here.
bayreuthdude
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by bayreuthdude »

I reinstalled the whole game and patched successfully the game files (1.4a and 1.4b).
The Descent 3 launcher runs without problems, but if I start the game (with parameters for Loki_Compat) it only shows the intro movie and aborts then. The only I get in the terminal is:

SIGNAL 11 caught, aborting
(No matter if I choose Glade or OpenGL in the d3launcher under graphics)
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

See here. :P