Noise Cancelling headphones suggestions needed

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Noise Cancelling headphones suggestions needed

Post by ReadyMan »

My sennheiser pc350 headphones are giving me problems (mic goes off if the connector isnt pushed as far forward as possible), so I'm thinking of getting some new headphones.
I use them primarily for pc gaming, so I need a mic, but I'd also like to use them for travelling.

Any suggestions?
Fighting villains is what I do!
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: Noise Cancelling headphones suggestions needed

Post by Krom »

For travel nothing beats a pair of noise isolating earbuds. I had a pair of Shure earbuds I used with my MP3 player for planes, trains, automobiles and even riding lawn mowers, they were excellent but finally one side gave out becoming too quiet after something to the tune of 12+ years of fairly regular use and abuse (I'd say I got my $50 out of them anyway). They are a bit more pricy than regular disposable earbuds but worth it for the isolation and sound quality.

For gaming/music/video at home I have a larger set of beyerdynamic studio headphones and a separate clip on microphone.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

What's your price range RM?

I think Krom is on the right path. Getting separate sets is probably the best way to go. I bought a pair of BOSE OE2's. They aren't noise cancelling, but the sound is decent. ..A bit light on the low end. I also have a gaming set with mic. They considerably more bulky... ok.. they're huge. They ARE comfortable. Oh, HERE they are. Razer made them.
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

I'd like to stay under $300. (been saving a while for this purchase)
Fighting villains is what I do!
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

When i was looking into this (iirc a few months back), most of the talk was about the Parrot Zik ("best noise-cancelling headphones ever", etcetc blahblah), but at ~$400 (can get down to $200 if you look around ebay) they're slightly over your budget :(.
They're also bluetooth wireless, or wired, automatically pause when you take them off your ears (it senses orientation), and have touch-control on the cans so you pause/FF/TrackForward/etc by various finger sliding gestures. I avoided them for a weird primary reason: i wanted something suited for everyday outdoor use and feared the Zik would attract attention, also i wondered if it might get damaged by rain & rough use.
Every comparison i read was pointing to the Zik as the best choice, but TBH i'm never sure if online comparisons/reviews/recommendations aren't just a bunch of paid shills anyway.
Hope that helped.

edit: hmm now i'm interested again, $200 ain't bad.