Protect my data on my slave HD

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Protect my data on my slave HD

Post by thewolfe »

I have a "slave" drive that I backup all my data to daily. Is there a way to lock that data down and still have an every 2 hour backup to it?
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re: Protect my data on my slave HD

Post by snoopy »

I guess it depends on what you're trying to protect it from.

If you're worried about physical theft/damage - and just your loss of the data, (I.E. fire, burglar, etc) then really you need to have the data in a different physical location.

If you're worried about someone getting their hands on the data and not letting them read it (I.E. burglar, subpoena, etc.) then encrypt the data, put a password protection on the encryption, and make sure you lock your computer when you're not using it - those steps will mean that someone will have to have your password in order to read the data. (I'm honestly not sure about drive encryption packages available out there, so I don't have any particular recommendations for what you should use.)

If you're worried about someone hacking you, stealing your password, and/or doing one of those ransomware things then the only really foolproof method is offline storage.... but that would not allow you to have automatic backups every 2 hours. The bugger about automated backups (unless you do incremental backups, and maybe even then) is that if your data gets messed up and you don't catch it before the next backup, your backup gets messed up, too.

Here's what I'd say would be the most robust backup system: Have a local, connected, and encrypted drive that does your automated backups every two hours. Along with that, have a remote, encrypted, offline drive that you bring in to update about once a week. The first one helps with the "oops I broke something" kind of restores. the second one covers you for the disaster type of events - someone hacks you in the middle of the night, you have a fire, or someone's holding your data hostage and demanding a fee.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re: Protect my data on my slave HD

Post by thewolfe »

Thanks for the info.

I have my computer password protected (not BIOS) but if some one stole the computer, number one, I assume they could bypass it if they knew what they were doing. But if they couldn't then all they would have to do is take the slave out and add it to another computer.

Encrypting it would be a step up.