Blew it yet again with MS14-045

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Blew it yet again with MS14-045

Post by Tunnelcat »

Another botched update from Microsoft. :roll: They recommend uninstalling it for now. Look under "Mitigations" in the More information section in the link below. They must have pulled it sometime on last Friday because the last Win7 computer I updated on that very night didn't get that particular update. All my other computers I updated earlier in the week had it, so I had to do uninstalls.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2982791
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Blew it yet again with MS14-045

Post by Spidey »

Yea, I got smacked by this update, system wouldn’t start, had to do a restore.

Now I have to figure out how to get past this crap. (uninstalled updates)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

This update is installed on my server (has been since the 14th) and is working fine at the moment. Although it is a fairly recent install of Windows 7 and has not been significantly altered from its default configuration. I can't say I'm in that much of a hurry to uninstall or mess with it, since I'm currently several thousand miles away in Costa Rica.

Probably installed on my desktop too (powered off for the duration), I'll have to check and see when I get back.

I see one of them is also installed on this Surface Pro 2 which might explain a couple odd behaviors it had about a week ago, I'll have to investigate that.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

It was installed on 3 out of the 4 Windows 7 computers I have, even my slug of a laptop. No BSOD's or any other weird behavior, but I've never changed anything to do with fonts or their locations. The fourth computer was updated late on the Friday after the release date and the bad update had already been pulled. Microsoft recommended uninstalling it, so I uninstalled it on all my systems. I guess it pays to wait until the weekend to update at this rate. Waiting until Thursday wasn't enough. :roll:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Fixed, sort of. There are still a couple of issues, but they did fix the BSoD problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2993651
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Sheesh, I have at least 500 fonts installed that are not in the “font folder”.

I load, install, unload and uninstall fonts on a daily basis, using a well know font tool.

I have virtually no idea which of the security updates I should go ahead and try to install at this point.

This blows
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I have no idea what's going on here, but it sounds pretty bizarre.