Converter for MS Sidewinder Gamepad

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

IOHH
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Converter for MS Sidewinder Gamepad

Post by IOHH »

Currently stickied here is a Sidewinder gamepad to USB adapter for some joysticks that use digital signals. I have a Sidewinder Gamepad (game port version) that I refuse to throw away. Is there any chance of that project including the gamepad?

Anyway, I have a "USB-to-Gameport" adapter. This thing works when I take a piece of wire and connect, say, ground to button signals. However, in my attempt to make the gamepad work, I cracked it open and connected a test wire to one of the buttons and... nothing. The resistance of the button's contacts seems a bit too high for the adapter to register it. So now I have a somewhat silly idea: To make an adapter that goes between the joystick and the gameport-to-USB adapter that would read the digital signal from the gamepad and convert it to analog-like signal to feed to the game port. The problem? I have no clue where to start. I searched the Internet forwards, backwards, sideways, ... Still, I am empty-handed. The most I could find was that the information was sent though buttons, selected from two protocols randomly, with clock on the first button. Seems like everyone's just abandoned this controller when its USB version came out. The question that I need answered is how to handle the digital protocol. I saw it mentioned that this was released to the public, but had no luck finding it, and I have no experience making drivers or interfacing with digital joysticks.

Any ideas to assist with this would be greatly appreciated. All my searches have ended up in frustration.
tglaria
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re: Converter for MS Sidewinder Gamepad

Post by tglaria »

I've been searching for this, I think of two solutions:
- Make a converter of the gameport protocol (I think it's already made for some other joystick, should be compatible)
- replace its internals with a cheap usb joystick.

I guess I'll go for the second option.
IOHH
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by IOHH »

tglaria wrote:I've been searching for this, I think of two solutions:
- Make a converter of the gameport protocol (I think it's already made for some other joystick, should be compatible)
That's the idea and the reason I need the information. I have found none that were compatible. Do tell if you find one that is.
tglaria wrote: - replace its internals with a cheap usb joystick.

I guess I'll go for the second option.
What's the point? Just use the cheap joystick the way it is.
fcc-92
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by fcc-92 »

I'm sorry that this has nothing to do with the original post but, Does anyone got the Cd driver of the Microsoft Sidewinder Gamepad (with gameport, no usb)? Because I want the demo of Microsoft Manic Marbles that came inside of it and I can't find it anywhere! :(
I appreciate any help!
Thanks! :mrgreen:
IOHH
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by IOHH »

Mine came in a bundle and I've never even seen the original driver disk. Had no idea there were demos on it. I guess I wouldn't mind getting a copy of it, too.
fcc-92
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by fcc-92 »

Oh, you don't have it? That's a shame :frown:

The cd had 3 demos, Time Commando, Gex and Microsoft Manic Marbles (in the cd is named after Microsoft Marbles). As far as I know it was only realeased in the first Sidewinder Gamepad (with gameport, not the usb)

Well, I wish somebody still has it, because Manic Marbles demo it's impossible to find it in all over the internet :(
ulao
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by ulao »

Hi guys, I enjoy making usb game adapters as a hobby and have done so for 7 years. If I get a warm or otherwise none harsh welcome I'll more then likely stick around. I'm currently looking to add the MS sidewinder to my adapter. For some credentials I'm the author to the Bliss-box. (not sure if links show up but here it is)
http://skunx7.wix.com/bliss-box?~~mode= ... 2080987659

I just finished adding support for the old Xterminator by gravis so I figure i'd try a few more gameport digital controllers. Hammerhead may be next.

So the SW gamepad so far does not do much that I can tell. When I try to communicate with it, it only sends data when the mode button is pressed. I plan on hooking up a analyzer to a 98 system gameport and will attempt to figure out how it works. If any of you google junkies out there found any info on this let me know. I know Grendel from other project I have worked on and about this
https://code.google.com/p/sw3dprousb/so ... 3DProasm.S

So far this controller does not seem to act the same way. Stay tuned and feel free to ask anything you like.
ulao
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by ulao »

Hi guys, I was able to make it work, the side winder game pad lives again. I'll be moving on to the hammer head FX next.
ulao
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by ulao »

Hammer head FX was not to hard as well. Looks like I have this down pat, so I'll take request. These are usb adapters I make, no driver, the way it should be, and on all OS's.

If you need to alert me to the thread just use the PM system or search me out, Bliss-Box author...

Not trying to spam the forums but the FB site is another means to get in touch with me.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bliss-Bo ... 0814471374