Microsoft HoloLens

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Microsoft HoloLens

Post by sigma »

Apparently, this is an extremely successful alternative Oculus Rift. If to play holographic Descent need only Windows 10 and HoloLens, I will not only surprised, but also happy :)

[youtube]wB66zwP3OZo[/youtube]
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Microsoft HoloLens

Post by Sirius »

I don't consider it an alternative to Oculus Rift, because they are designed for different purposes. HoloLens is what is called "augmented reality" - meaning it displays graphics over the top of the real world. That is why the screen is partially transparent. Oculus Rift shows you only a virtual world, which would be more suitable for video games like Descent.

However, many of the technologies used in augmented reality are also useful for virtual reality. Therefore, the research work that went into making the HoloLens may help improve Oculus Rift (and other competing VR technologies) as well.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re: Microsoft HoloLens

Post by sigma »

I do not know how it will work in XBox, but perhaps if even Descent will work in these glasses, in my opinion, waving your hands in the air is not the most comfortable way to control the ship in Descent...