Stangulated

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Stangulated

Post by woodchip »

My internet connect is half of what it should be. Cable company hecked the modem and says it is up to speed. I hook directly from my modem to both the ethernet card or directly into motherboard and both are slow. I have a second comp. that is also running half speed (download speed). It runs off the same modem but connect through a router with a netgear wireless connect. First comp uses win7 and 2nd comp uses win xp. Any ideas what is going on here?
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Stangulated

Post by Tunnelcat »

Who's your internet company? Did you ask them about it? I've had CenturyLink cut my upload speeds in half with no explanation, other than they're just being butts. They probably did it to increase bandwidth elsewhere on our creaky system, but they could have told me that nicely in a letter or something. :rant:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Charter is my internet provider. They were the first ones I called. With the newer modum they can check how your modum is acting. They said everything from their end looks good, my modum is putting out 54 megs download and slowdown has to be with the computer(s).
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php
Download the latest stable version of TCP Optimizer and run it as administrator, set the slider to roughly what your connection should be and then hit the toggle to apply optimal settings. Do this for both machines, and for all available network adapters on each machine. Apply, reboot, then run some speed tests and see if it helps any.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Krom, so far using your link I gained 10 meg down but still around 20 short of what I am paying for.

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

How/where are you testing the line speed? Is it different at different times during the day? Try a speed test sometime in the morning, early (5 AM) would be really good, but anytime before noon would still be a reasonable indicator of differences in congestion. Also, try running a speed test from here: http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest (click cable).

List the router you are using, exact model. How the computers are connected to it and via what network adapters (exact models). If you are using wifi, keep in mind in order to get the full 60 megabits from charter, your wifi needs to be 130 megabits minimum.

Also are there any other internet connected devices in the house? (Smart phones, media streaming boxes like Roku, voip telephones, smart TVs, internet radios that play pandora/spotify/amazon music, all qualify.)

Last, a possible cause is if the router is running some type of quality of service feature which is set to reserve too much bandwidth.