Question about force feedback support

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

rfichoke
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Question about force feedback support

Post by rfichoke »

I've come across this forum because of some of the FFB posts and I thought it might be a good place to ask for some help.

I've been playing around with building a game controller with FFB capabilities and I've got some basic firmware that can act as a generic USB "gamepad." This works fine. But I'm very confused about how to implement FFB. I know a lot of games are using DirectInput for FFB, but I'm not sure about what my firmware will see coming from the host. I've read about the "Physical Interface Device" protocol/standard, and it seems to make sense. But then I've read that it isn't supported by anything after Windows 7 32-bit. I've also read about Immersion's iForce protocol, and some people say you should be using that. I've seen it suggested that DirectInput pretty much is iForce. I've also read that iForce (or TouchSense, which may be the same thing) is required for platforms like the PS4 and XBox One.

Can anyone point me in the right direction so I can stop spinning my wheels? What should I be looking for from most Windows games? I'm interested in true FFB, not just "rumble" support.

Thanks!
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Question about force feedback support

Post by Jeff250 »

Moved this to Tech Forum for more visibility.