SSD and swap

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

SSD and swap

Post by flip »

I'm am fixing to buy a 256 ssd and slave it for FSX/Prepar3d and assorted programs. The OS will be mostly bare on a 128 gig ssd. Swap on OS or same drive as P3D?
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: SSD and swap

Post by vision »

I would put the swap on whatever drive isn't being used to write temp files.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Ok, that makes sense. More overhead with temp files than swap I imagine, so I guess best is just to install and keep it simple with memory as it is today.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

If you are using the swap file in the first place, you need more memory. It is cheap and getting cheaper, think about upgrading that while you are at it. I have 16 GB of memory and overrode the default swap file size down to 1 GB and it basically never gets used.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

I have about 8 gig, but I'm trying to account for the FSX's uniqueness too. I'm pretty sure a swap is required though I'm not sure. Surely they have optimized P3D of that burden but I'm catering to the lowest common denominator too.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Yeah, depends on the OS. I have mine set to 1 GB because certain recovery and debugging features of windows require at least that much swap space to function even if it isn't actively used.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

That's what I'll do then.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

I have it set to system managed with 8 GB and the swap file is sitting at 1.25 GB.