Version Control Systems

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

sdfgeoff
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Version Control Systems

Post by sdfgeoff »

What do people use? Currenlty I'm using git, but some of the files I work with are large binary files (up to 70mb) and the project is taking up several gigabytes of space. I'm thinking of moving to SVN so that I only have the working copy available locally. As a result when I want to have someone else work on the project, instead of pointing git at my repository I tend to use a flash-drive to give someone the project and then they use git to keep it in sync.

But then I do like the fact that I can take my laptop into a clients location and continue working/committing/pulling-up-old-versions without an internet connection.

So vhat VCS systems do you guys use?
Eh?
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Re: Version Control Systems

Post by fliptw »

git. the neat thing I find about git is all you need is R/W access to a directory, and you can move your repository there. no daemon required
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

When I was beta testing a racing game they were using SVN and I thought it was great. You just had to update it and it took care of everything.
MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK Z490;Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8GHz;EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super KO Gaming 8GB GDDR6;SeaSonic FOCUS GX Series 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold;A-Data XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND PCIe NVMe M.2 2280;WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3;Fractal Design Define 7 Compact Mid Tower;Asus SDRW-08D2S-U 8X Slim DVD-RW External Drive;Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 32GB 2x16 3600 DDR4 C18; Win 10 64Bit
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Over the years, I've used a number of them, including a couple of the popular ones like svn and git, some old ones like SourceSafe, and some corporate systems like Perforce.

...I've arrived at the opinion that you just use what works, and don't change unless you have to. (But if you've established that you have to change, do it right away rather than trying to maintain workarounds for a length of time.)
sdfgeoff
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sdfgeoff »

I have established that the problem is in fact due to an issue between 'data' and 'the thing being developed.'

Including 100mb 3D scans that are processed/displayed by the simulator is not correct. They are data and should not change/have versions. I should separate out all the data from the program, and only version control the program.
Eh?
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I think the FreeSpace 2 Source Code Project moved from SVN to git a year or two ago, but I don't really have enough experience to say why they made the switch. I know one of the lead devs did say that forking and branching are far easier to do in git, so that might be a potential advantage if that's what your project needs.
Verran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Verran »

git or Mercurial. I like both. They're free. For repo cloud hosting: github.com is nice, but so is bitbucket.org.

Yeah, try not to keep files you don't need versioned. Isolate them somewhere else, especially large files. Could you use cloud file sharing like Google Drive, Dropbox or OneDrive for that? Also, learn how to setup your SCM ignore filters to avoid committing stuff you don't need in your repo(s). This will keep them lean and clean.

SVN is antiquated in the fact that it is not a DCVS. A huge thing I don't miss about SVN: tree conflicts during branch switching! No fun when dealing with a giant repo, especially during an emergency! :) Fun times when your boss is standing over your shoulder wondering what's taking so long...blech.

* Been professionally responsible for SCM configuration, deployment, maintenance, best practices, D/R and continuous integration for 14+ years. Have touched lots of stuff. It's fun to see how things have progressed. Biggest tip: stay as far away from TFS as possible! !@#$%* Microsoft. :)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Fun fact: Few teams at Microsoft use TFS either. I forget if VSTS (which is kind of the web-based successor to the "rest" of TFS) supports it for source control - it seems MS is headed primarily towards Git.
Verran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Verran »

Yeah. TFS is a horrid lump of WTF. The sad thing is, most MS shops, at least here around Denver, are using it. Hope that stops soon.