Antivirus?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

sdfgeoff
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Antivirus?

Post by sdfgeoff »

Howdy guys. I've just got a new PC, and am dual booting it (windows 10 and arch linux).
However, seeing as I've never spent much time with micro$oft, I'm rather behind times on antivirus products.

Any suggested software? Or can I just ignore it entirely?
Eh?
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re: Antivirus?

Post by TigerRaptor »

There is just so many of them out there, and everyone has a different opinion. My only advice is stay away from Baidu, Clam AV, IO Bit Malware Fighter, and Vipre. The detection rate with those are complete crap.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I use AVG Free.
MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK Z490;Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8GHz;EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super KO Gaming 8GB GDDR6;SeaSonic FOCUS GX Series 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold;A-Data XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND PCIe NVMe M.2 2280;WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3;Fractal Design Define 7 Compact Mid Tower;Asus SDRW-08D2S-U 8X Slim DVD-RW External Drive;Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 32GB 2x16 3600 DDR4 C18; Win 10 64Bit
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

No amount of antivirus software is a substitute for user awareness and being careful about what you download or run from the web. At the end of the day, antivirus software simply doesn't work anywhere near as well as many people think.

For what its worth, Windows 10 includes Windows Defender by default if no other antivirus software is installed, its detection rates are pretty mediocre but it has a minimal resource usage advantage over a lot of other names. The best I've seen for resource usage while having decent detection rates was the basic paid ESET NOD32. Anything Nortion/Symantec is awful and bloated. Mcafee doesn't stand out in any way good or bad. Avira and AVG are free but nag you endlessly.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

Going to second what Krom said. Things like keeping your OS/Browsing software up to date, minimizing attack surface by removing/disabling plugins, running some form of ad blocking, and just generally thinking before you click will be better real time protection than definition based AV products can provide.

On Windows 7, I used EMET, but it looks like they folded most of those protections into Windows 10. I don't use any AV software past Windows Defender on my desktop. (Windows 10) When I need to open something I'm unsure of, which isn't often, I use virustotal.com for scanning. If I need to browse shady sites, I do it in a Virtualbox VM. (currently Ubuntu Mate)
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I've been running MS Security Essentials on XP/7 for more than half a decade now, and I plan to continue along with MS Defender if/when I set up a 10 install. I can't remember the last time I've even had a sniff of infection on my system *knock on head*.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Vander wrote:On Windows 7, I used EMET, but it looks like they folded most of those protections into Windows 10. I don't use any AV software past Windows Defender on my desktop. (Windows 10) When I need to open something I'm unsure of, which isn't often, I use virustotal.com for scanning. If I need to browse shady sites, I do it in a Virtualbox VM. (currently Ubuntu Mate)
Yeah. EMET is kind of pointless now for Windows 10. Many of the techniques used to protect IE don't apply to Edge.

I was using EMET until version 5.0 in Windows 8 and I had to get rid of it. Comodo Defense+ and EMET had to many compatibility issue at the time. Now I'm using HitmanPro.Alert and it works flawlessly with my security setup in Windows 10.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Edge discovered that other way of making a browser more secure: don't support anything.
Glowhyena
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Glowhyena »

I'm using ESET and Malwarebytes.
MD1985
Verran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Verran »

Avast here. Not great, but decent.

Panda's detection seemed better, but I prefer local heuristic scanning as opposed to cloud-based scans (bandwidth).

And, if you use multiple computers, Avast for Business is free. In addition to the desktop app, it provides a web-based central management console, which can be handy.

For smaller file(s): to be extra safe, upload to virustotal.com before doing anything with it and always select "reanalyse".

And Malwarebytes.
Aggressor Prime
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Aggressor Prime »

I use Symantec Endpoint Protection. It has a 100% detection rate and has continuous updating. It also is very light. Better yet, the license never expires for unmanaged client installations. See here.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Aggressor Prime wrote:I use Symantec Endpoint Protection. It has a 100% detection rate and has continuous updating. It also is very light. Better yet, the license never expires for unmanaged client installations. See here.
You might be interested in A/V Comparatives test results too.
http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-conte ... sym_en.pdf