Windows Update fail

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

User avatar
vision
DBB Defender
DBB Defender
Posts: 3420
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:54 pm
Location: Mars

Re: Windows Update fail

Post by vision » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:23 am

Top Gun wrote:...getting it to run reasonably well was a whole other story.
Thanks for sharing. Very few games run on Linux and it's video quality is horrible in general. This is one of the reasons I play Descent Rebirth so much — because there is nothing else to play!

Ok, I leave this thread now. Sorry for side convo.
This post may have been edited by moderators for content and delivery.
User avatar
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master
Posts: 6386
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 1999 2:01 am
Location: ☃☃☃

Re: Windows Update fail

Post by Jeff250 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:09 am

ATI/AMD video cards have always had shitty linux drivers (even shittier than their Windows drivers). If you use (or think you might ever want to use) linux, then you just don't buy that crap.
User avatar
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master
Posts: 4390
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 3:01 am
Location: Corvallis OR, USA

Re: Windows Update fail

Post by Grendel » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:48 am

tunnelcat wrote:Foil, Holy crap! I've got 46.1 megs of cbs.persist.log files. I'll have to read your link a little bit more and see if I can deal with them.
My little server at home went from 58G free space to 72G free w/ some elbow grease :) CBS files: stop the "Windows Modules Installer" service, delete the cbs* files, restart the service.
User avatar
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender
Posts: 4900
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:31 pm
Location: Denver, Colorado, USA

Re: Windows Update fail

Post by Foil » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:00 pm

Grendel wrote:
tunnelcat wrote:Foil, Holy crap! I've got 46.1 megs of cbs.persist.log files. I'll have to read your link a little bit more and see if I can deal with them.
My little server at home went from 58G free space to 72G free w/ some elbow grease :) CBS files: stop the "Windows Modules Installer" service, delete the cbs* files, restart the service.
Yeah, I had ~30Gb of those in one instance.

BTW, I'm betting tc meant 46.1 gigs, not "megs". The latter would be negligible. :P
User avatar
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master
Posts: 7118
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2002 3:01 am

Re: Windows Update fail

Post by Top Gun » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:51 pm

Jeff250 wrote:ATI/AMD video cards have always had shitty linux drivers (even shittier than their Windows drivers). If you use (or think you might ever want to use) linux, then you just don't buy that crap.
To be fair, even on Windows AMD's support back then was fairly shitty. The 4670 had only been out for a couple of years, yet AMD put everything through the 4000 series on their "legacy support" cycle, where they didn't really do anything with the drivers unless there was something system-breaking.
User avatar
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master
Posts: 10605
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:32 pm
Location: Corvallis, Oregon, where you don't tan, you rust.

Re: Windows Update fail

Post by Tunnelcat » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:12 am

Foil wrote:
Grendel wrote:
tunnelcat wrote:Foil, Holy crap! I've got 46.1 megs of cbs.persist.log files. I'll have to read your link a little bit more and see if I can deal with them.
My little server at home went from 58G free space to 72G free w/ some elbow grease :) CBS files: stop the "Windows Modules Installer" service, delete the cbs* files, restart the service.
Yeah, I had ~30Gb of those in one instance.

BTW, I'm betting tc meant 46.1 gigs, not "megs". The latter would be negligible. :P
Oops. Fixed it Foil. I meant Gigs. :mrgreen: I also went through the process of paring those files down. I'll see what happens next time Windows Update Tuesday comes around.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
User avatar
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master
Posts: 10605
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:32 pm
Location: Corvallis, Oregon, where you don't tan, you rust.

Re: Windows Update fail

Post by Tunnelcat » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:44 pm

OK, I want to thank Jeff250, Foil and Grendel. Between all your suggestions, it's appears to be fixed. I booted up the affected machine today and within 5 minutes, it had found all the relevant updates for August. What a difference. :)

I might just install Jeff's suggestion on my gaming rig too, because even it seems to be taking hours to find the updates, however, definitely not as long as the HP machine did. :wink:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
User avatar
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master
Posts: 10605
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:32 pm
Location: Corvallis, Oregon, where you don't tan, you rust.

Re: Windows Update fail

Post by Tunnelcat » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:08 pm

Well, I HAD to finally install KB3172605 on both of my other Win 7 machines. Windows Update slowed to a crawl. Thanks for the help Jeff250. You helped all 3 of my Win 7 machines. :)

One other note. The installer wouldn't run if Windows Update, specifically if that one instance of svchost.exe was already running. It just put up a little window after launch that said, "searching for updates" and ran and ran and ran. I had to reboot and quickly run the installer before Windows Update went active. Then it installed OK.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Post Reply