Modern monitor useful for old dos games

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Modern monitor useful for old dos games

Post by Avder »

Alright so I have an older computer set up to play old dos games such as doom, terminal velocity, etc. But the problem I am currenly having is neither one of my monitors can display lower res screens in proper aspect ratio.

So I was hoping someone here might know of a modern monitor in the 24 inch range that is native 1080p but also has manual aspect ratio control on the VGA input. That way I can play dos games in proper aspect ratio and still use the monitor as part of my multi monitor setup with my modern machines.

I am not interested in responses along the lines of getting an old CRT, or an old 4:3 LCD. Old CRT monitors are a pain in the ass and old 4:3 LCDs had terrible performance.

So does anyone know of a current model that has manual aspect control in all VGA modes?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: Modern monitor useful for old dos games

Post by Krom »

AOC G2460PQU appears to have aspect control, VGA (d-sub) analog input, and 144 Hz refresh support so it can actually display the native DOS 720x480@70Hz mode without dropping frames like a 60 Hz monitor will. Modes above 75 Hz appear to be limited to digital inputs only though.
ASUS VG248QE is another option that looks a little nicer overall, but lacks the VGA input (DVI-D, HDMI, DP only).

My Dell U2412M has 16:10, 5:4 and 4:3 modes available in its OSD, but my BenQ XL2420G doesn't have any apparent aspect controls (at least in gsync mode). Most modern "gaming" LCDs have options for aspect correction, but not always. Check reviews and manuals before you buy.