4 Desktop icons vanished

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

4 Desktop icons vanished

Post by Tunnelcat »

I was just glancing at my desktop today and suddenly noticed that 4 icons had disappeared (facepalm). 2 of the programs I remember, my shortcuts to D2X-XL and DXX. For the life of me, I can't remember what the other 2 were, although they were probably 2 programs I had to create the shortcuts myself. Nearest I can figure is that these disappeared after this week's Microsoft Update. I restored the 2 I knew about, but to get back the other 2, I'm kind of screwed, unless I can remember what those programs were. Anyone else have this happen to them this week? I guess I'd better take a damn screenshot of my desktop and save it somewhere if Microsoft is going to do this when they update my system. :rant:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: 4 Desktop icons vanished

Post by Krom »

That is pretty bizzare, I don't think the desktop cleanup wizard exists anymore since XP, and I don't think there are any relevant logs for that. Might just have to go through the list of installed programs and see if you remember what it was from there.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Yeah, I didn't even notice it until today and I updated this system on Wednesday. The other computer still has all it's icons. I've looked through all my installed programs and I still can't remember which ones are missing. Weird. It'll come to me that one day when I decide to run some old program and I can't find the stupid shortcut and I'll go: AH HAH! :roll:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I found the culprit, but I don't know why. A while back, I had downloaded and saved the most recent versions of Nvidia Inspector and Nvidia Profile Inspector. I again needed to use those programs, so I created shortcuts for both of them, all because I wanted to use a frame rate cap for one particular game I was having issues with. Everything was working just peachy. Then I walked out of the room for about 10 minutes leaving the computer idling on the desktop. I came back and viola, both of the created Nvidia Inspector shortcuts had vanished, along with 2 others, my shortcuts for D2XXl and D2XX Rebirth. Why those particular ones disappear is beyond me. That means I can't have those shortcuts on my desktop without them self-destructing minutes later. Any ideas? :?