Router Woes

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Router Woes

Post by Gooberman »

My computer is constantly losing connection these days.

When I go to my router, and click "DHCP release" and then "DHCP renew" it usually connects, (usually I can skip the release part). Sometimes I have to reset my cable modem, and then it connects.

Any clue where the problem lies? I talked to a cox cable guy recently who told me they were upgrading my firmware. (I have no no idea what that means).

So do you think that is what is causing it?

I disconnect from the internet about 4-5 times a day. It doesn't reconnect on its own, I usually do one of the above, or both, to make it connect.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

What router is it? Firmware updates?
Cuda68-2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Cuda68-2 »

If they upgraded the firmware they most likly, inadvertantly, reset the DHCP lease time to the default value of 4 hours. Ask them to check what your lease time is and if they come back with that answer or something close, ask them to kick it up to 3 to 5 days.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

You're saying your cable ISP updated your router's firmware? Since that's supposed to be impossible (only internal computers are usually allowed to connect to the modem's internal FTP server), I think they may have updated your modem's firmware...
suicide eddie
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by suicide eddie »

dcrazy, isps are tending to use thier own built in access upnp or ftp with their own supplied modems and routers. aol and bt in the the uk for example, they claim its for the benefit of thier customers. another good reason to chuck away the "free" modems and install
a good unaltered brand instead.

gooberman have you checked that the router is getting enought power if its usb, also check for power saving settings for the router and any network cards its running thought.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Yeah, actually I went to install someone's DSL today and the router and modem were integrated into the same unit. And the only way to configure it (Verizon) was to use the supplied CD. Ick.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Yeah, I think that is a growing trend, I've seen a couple DSL modems with intigrated NAT.
KompresZor
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by KompresZor »

My Westell 2200 (verizon) is like that, it will do routing, DHCP, NAT ect. I could configure mine by connecting it to a PC and browsing to the default IP. (192.168.1.1) You can set it to Bridged and disable the other functions that way it will just pass through to the router.
Arbitar
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Arbitar »

is it a dlink goob?