M$ Sidewinder 3D Pro on USB

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

No news yet, I'm still commited tho (what else should I do w/ those 28 CPU's.. :)) Financial situation will clear up next week, so stay tuned !
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Please appologize for the lack of updates recently.

Right now I have to come up w/ the funds for the boards and misc. parts (still got 28 CPU's :))-- unfortunately I have some major changes going on in real life (including moving) that keep me quite busy and my money level pretty low for a while. I should be back up to "normal" operations by mid december.

I do appreciate the offers to pre-pay the converter but I think it makes logistics a nightmare. Thanks for your patience,

G.
Pugwash
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Pugwash »

we dont want excuses Gren we want results. get on with it already! :P

-Rook
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Perhaps a donation fund is in order then?
Genghis
DBB Newbie
DBB Newbie

Post by Genghis »

Where are you moving? Staying in the Pacific NW?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Grendel,

I had asked you about these converters recently and never gotten a reply. Are you just too busy, or don't you talk with me?

Diedel
Pugwash
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Pugwash »

Diedal READ the thread
Grendel wrote:Please appologize for the lack of updates recently.

Right now I have to come up w/ the funds for the boards and misc. parts (still got 28 CPU's :))-- unfortunately I have some major changes going on in real life (including moving) that keep me quite busy and my money level pretty low for a while. I should be back up to "normal" operations by mid december.

I do appreciate the offers to pre-pay the converter but I think it makes logistics a nightmare. Thanks for your patience,

G.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Genghis wrote:Where are you moving? Staying in the Pacific NW?
Yes, moving to Corvallis :)
Diedel wrote:Grendel,

I had asked you about these converters recently and never gotten a reply. Are you just too busy, or don't you talk with me?

Diedel
Too busy, sorry. Saw the PM a couple days after you sent it and figured I'd better post an update..
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Pugwash wrote:Diedal READ the thread
Listen, can't you properly spell English? It should read "Diedal REDA dah threda!"

:P :lol:
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

G,

Had any luck with a board manufactuer? I might be able to come up with some options!

email me specifics, I might even be able to get one of the guys at work to create a gerber file for the board.

koolbear at gmail dot com ....

KB
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

I started modeling an enclosure for this today, I'll see if I can get it done this week, maybe I can even get a few of these made using a sterolitography process :)

I guess we could mold a pyro on it ;)

KB
Unix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Unix »

T'would be dope. I'm still waiting to play D3 on my laptop :)
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

On it.. W/ KB's help this may get moving fast soon :)

Edit: KB, the USB connector should be type B, not type A. I used the type A in my 1st proto since I had that broken memory drive on my desk when I was building it.. :)
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

and it also should be a 15 pin joystick port, not a VGA port.(DB-15 instead of the mini-sub D15)
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

KoolBear wrote:I guess we could mold a pyro on it ;)

KB
i would pay cash money right now for a molded plastic pyro.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

oh really.. I have a model of one that I did in 3dsmax a while back.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

fliptw wrote:and it also should be a 15 pin joystick port, not a VGA port.(DB-15 instead of the mini-sub D15)
I know that's just the connector model I had handy ;)

The j-stick connector is too large to be placed where it is currently located too. It'll need to be rotated 90 degrees and placed along one of the long walls if you want to let peeps purchase that Radio Shack Box.

I was thinking maybe I can get a few boxes specially made :) Here's a cutaway of what I have today.

Also received a quote today for the board, I requested they quote two panels instead of the one, current estimates place 15-20 boards on a panel.

My Precision Pro bit the dust last night :( now all I have is my sons' old sidewinder 3D Pro, I need this converter! AAARRRGGH NO Descenty over the holidays! Can't imaging getting a new stick!

Maybe I'll email Microsoft and see if they have any old ones in stock! Sheese I used to have a contact now where was his name ...

KB
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

KoolBear wrote:My Precision Pro bit the dust last night :( now all I have is my sons' old sidewinder 3D Pro, I need this converter! AAARRRGGH NO Descenty over the holidays! Can't imaging getting a new stick!

Maybe I'll email Microsoft and see if they have any old ones in stock! Sheese I used to have a contact now where was his name ...
Try this guy on eBay. I got about 12 3DPros from him over the last two years -- all NIB $11.25 shipped :) The 3D Pro Plus might be what you are looking for, ask him for the type number to see if they work w/ the native USB converter.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Thanks G,

Let's see I'll need at least one 3DPP to hold me over until the ol'dreaded 3Dp to USB converter is done! :D
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Wow: ordered the rest of the parts for 30 boards at digikey about 2 hours ago -- just got the message that the order shipped :)
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

I have posted this elsewhere on the DBB but Sickone has adjusted a radio shack USB convertor to work specifically with a 3D Pro he changed out one resistor to make the hat work correctly. This was the time he convinced his work to give him a new laptop

now if we could break into his dimension then we could get an answer
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Believe me -- the RadioShack converter runs the 3DP in analog mode. You wouldn't want that.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

So how long until I can get one of these? Ive got some xmas money I need to burn, and something that makes my 3dpro work on my current comp would be a very nice thing to get.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Parts will come in today, KB is looking into getting a layout done this week. Seems that the board manufactor may have some lead time (2-3 weeks). I'm starting to put converters together as soon I got all parts at a rate of maybe 3-4 a day, more on a weekend :) ..
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Please forgive me, I finally finished the relaying out the schematic this past Tuesday. Grendel had a nice layout but we couldn't import the data and I'm a mechanical type :P

During the conversion process I found a few errors most likely misspellings ;) for you Mob. A little late I know :P anyway next week I'll have the schematic to Gren to review and once that happens and he's happy with the schematic and layout then he just needs to turn the valve on! :)
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by d3jake »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:You might even think about marketing this outside of D3. Old controller... upgrade to new computer with no gameport... "whatever will I do?!"... ;) Seriously.

I realize it is probably a rare need, but a rare need among as many computer users as there are in the U.S. alone could still be worth looking into.
This project is a really cool thing to have. I have a Gravis Blackhawk Digital Pro that works *really* well for D3 (also using the keypad for slide, flare, Counter meas., bank, headlight, and afterburn.) Works so nicely!!!

D you suppose there could be a version for this for laptops? Ro would it be too complicated and dependant upon the brand, etc.?
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

d3jake,

I can't see why it wouldn't work for a laptop, is has 2 bulkhead connectors. 1 for the joystick and the other is a Type B USB connector :)

KB
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Great, as soon as I own a laptop with a USB port I'll order one!
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

You might want to talk to Grendel to see for sure if it'll talk to your joystick. From what I gather, the commands are a tad big different.
"One spelling mistake can destroy your life. A Husband sent this to his wife : "I'm having a wonderful time. Wish you were her." - @RobinWilliams
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

The converter is designed to \"talk\" to the Microsoft SideWinder 3D Pro only (Digital OverDrive protocol). It is possible to rewrite the software (and probably change the hardware) so the converter would talk to different sticks (eg. the Logicrap Wingman series) but I don't really have the time (or drive :)) to do that, sorry.

Edit: and yes, it works on any USB port, including the ones on laptops.
Unix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Unix »

Cue chorus of vocalizing angels.
-Unix
My Music
Skywzrd
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Skywzrd »

Are there enough parts to handle 1 more request? Sorry for the late reply Grendel, but I first heard about this project of yours only 2 days ago. It's a long story, but I haven't touched Descent since '99, but hopefully all of that's about to change.

The reason I'm in need of a 3DP -> USB adapter is because my motherboard (Abit NF7-S v2.0) doesn't have a game port, nor is it compatible with my old ISA game cards. My story probably isn't much different from the rest of the folk who are interested in your adapter. Well, aside from the \"not playing for 6 years\" part, perhaps :)

Sky
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Genghis
DBB Newbie
DBB Newbie

Post by Genghis »

Actually, my need for 6 has kind of diminished since June. Can I reduce my order to 4?
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

k
Skywzrd
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Skywzrd »

Awesome! Thanks, Grendel. Being one of the lucky few to use your adapter has me really pumped.

Btw, do you have a final price for the adapter yet? Perhaps some people are waiting on the final price before committing to more than 1. Just a thought.

Sky
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Put me down for one and let me know where/how to send the money. =)
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Ok.

moved
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

Looks good Gren!
Cant wait! I have 6 used 3dpros (sick one fixed the hat on these way back when) and 4 NIB! I'm totally ready for Core Decision.

RM
Fighting villains is what I do!
Fusion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fusion »

Count me in on 1 adaptor please, Gren.

Fus
Proud member of Team [RIP]