M$ Sidewinder 3D Pro on USB

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

SuperSheep
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by SuperSheep »

I must say, this is looking really cool.

Kudos to you guys for making one helluva cool looking adapter.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Thanks Sheep.

Quick update: got the boards today (oops, that's already yesterday :)) and built up two units. After about 8hrs debugging I found the problem .. :) Looks good tho, I'll build a few on sunday and take some pictures. Leaving for the FIRST regional competition tomorrow morning, be back on sat evening.
VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by VonVulcan »

There was a problem? :P
(20:12) STRESSTEST: Im actually innocent this time
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

There was a trace that was autorouted near a hole, so near that it was under a pad and that shorted out the timer to ground.

No one caught it, it's a pretty easy fix, if the G-Man is slick you will have a hard time finding it :)

KB
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

[Note to KoolBear -- I moved C3 to the left of the oscillator. Was on AVCC, should be on VCC]

I built up units #3 & #4 today :)

This is how a unit looks like (that's what you will get)

[*]

#3 is the header option, #4 is the DB15 option, here w/ some stuff you can add on

[*]

The board is designed to fit into this box from RadioShack ($3.99, my local RS has them in the store). Note that you will have to cut/drill holes to have it fit.

[*]

Box closed

[*]

Here you see what I used to mount a header option board into my main computer

[*]

Inside view

[*]

Outside

[*]

How the DB15 option can be put into the computer (see also the 2nd picture above)

[*]

Outside again

[*]

[*] Images recycled. Most can be found here.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

[moved]
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Sweet! So yeah....what are the payment options for these suckers?
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

A question for us Linux descenters. Will this thing work under linux? Will it just work under the HID modules in linux? Are special drivers needed for it to work in Windows?

Forgive me if this has already been addressed, I'm just curious but may have missed it early on in the thread.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Re:

Post by Grendel »

Xamindar wrote:A question for us Linux descenters. Will this thing work under linux? Will it just work under the HID modules in linux? Are special drivers needed for it to work in Windows?
It should work w/ Linux or Mac OSX just fine if there is support for HID devices. No driver is needed for 98SE, ME, 2k or XP.

On a different topic, having two options is too confusing. So, here is what you will get:

[*]

This version will be ready to roll out of the box. I would recommend to somehow protect it during operation tho. While working it should not be man/cat/whatnot-handled and it must not come into direct contact w/ metal (change on the desk, etc.)

There is the possibility for having the header option, I'll only create them if specifically asked for.

Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I was just about to ask about all those different pics you posted; they all pretty much flew right over my head. One option = good for non-techies like me. :P So, when we do get these things, you'd recommend buying something like that RadioShack box to put them in? And will we need that USB extender cable that you showed as well, or any other cabling, for that matter? I'm just confirming all of this to be sure that, when they're shipped, I'll just be able to plug in the 3DPro on one side, plug it into a USB port on the other, and get rolling. If I'm under any misconceptions, please set me straight before it's too late. :P
Hostile
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hostile »

I am so excited I can hardly contain myself!!!!!!!!!
Fusion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fusion »

Gren, if the header option is the one shown in this img, I will take one of those...It will prob be the easiest for me. (Plug and Play) a question tho...

1. where can I pick up one of those USB cords that are in your pics?

Fus
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Xamindar »

Fusion wrote: 1. where can I pick up one of those USB cords that are in your pics?

Fus
well it says "RadioShack" on it so I would assume you can get it at RadioShack. But I haven't been lately to check. Is that the one you are talking about?
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Top Gun wrote:So, when we do get these things, you'd recommend buying something like that RadioShack box to put them in?
Like I said, I would recommend to somehow protect it during operation :) If you go for the box (best protection for having the converter outside the computer) keep in mind that you have to cut out holes for the connectors. If you aren't comfortable w/ that use an industrial strength ZipLock bag ;)
Top Gun wrote:And will we need that USB extender cable that you showed as well, or any other cabling, for that matter?
You will need a USB A-B cable like this one. Any USB A-B cable will do, including the hillariousely expensive retractable one from RadioShack I used (because the cable is very flat). I saw one w/ a build-in LED at the dollar store the other day. The cheapest cable may be the one that's on your printer tho .. ;)
Fusion wrote:Gren, if the header option is the one shown in this img, I will take one of those...It will prob be the easiest for me. (Plug and Play)
That is the DB15 option mounted on a slot cover. It's the lower one in this picture. That way is the easiest for having the converter inside the computer. The only problem is getting the A-B cable to the USB connector on the outside. I used the RadioShack retractable for that reason -- flat cable makes for a small hole.

My GF took on getting the packaging material together, I should have boxes in 3 days. As soon I got everything I need I'll start sending PMs w/ payment details (if I have units ready to ship :)). Looks like s&h will be $6 (w/in US) so the whole thing comes to $31.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Top Gun »

Grendel wrote:Like I said, I would recommend to somehow protect it during operation :) If you go for the box (best protection for having the converter outside the computer) keep in mind that you have to cut out holes for the connectors. If you aren't comfortable w/ that use an industrial strength ZipLock bag ;)
Looks like I might have to get handy with a Dremel; otherwise, I'm definitely sticking to the bag. I could always ask my dad to give it a shot; that could result in extreme amounts of amusement. :P
You will need a USB A-B cable like this one. Any USB A-B cable will do, including the hillariousely expensive retractable one from RadioShack I used (because the cable is very flat). I saw one w/ a build-in LED at the dollar store the other day. The cheapest cable may be the one that's on your printer tho .. ;)
Unless that thing takes parallel, I don't think the cable from my printer will do much. :P Thanks for the info. :)
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Re:

Post by WarAdvocat »

Grendel: Looks Awesome! I can't wait! Thanks for all the hard work guys!

Hostile wrote:I am so excited I can hardly contain myself!!!!!!!!!
This mean you're gonna come back and teach us how to play BI3 the Hostile way?
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

oh I can't wait. =)
-Suncho
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Gah, my back is killing me. I'm just not used to work hunched over anymore :)

For the curious, here's how a board is put together:
  1. get all 24 different parts together, 10min
  2. bend the pins of Rs, Cs, and the ICs, 10min
  3. compile, program & test the software for the Mega8, 10min
  4. load the board, 30min:
    1. diodes
    2. resistors
    3. orange capacitors
    4. crystal
    5. ICs
    6. blue capacitors
    7. USB connector
    8. DB15 connector
    9. LED
    10. big capacitor
  5. visual check, 5min
  6. function test, 5min (if there are no problems ..)
1hr 10min :|
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

This is exactly why I think you deserve a little compensation! Now add the time you will take to locate packaging, boxing it up, labeling and then the trip to the Post Office!

Gman you gotta get at least 5cents to cover all the time!

Hell we haven't added in the development time either!

I think you need at least 10$ each for the time hell man I wouldn't oppose 20$ to assemble/test/pack/ship

My 2 cents ...

KB
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

I'll add a $10 donation when I pay for mine.
-Suncho
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Let's hear it for the \"goodies for Lefty\" fund!
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Thx, I'll gladly accept any donation.

I will not increase the price for the converter for various reasons, primarily I don't want any trouble w/ the IRS/INS :|. Also: Legal problems, like no FCC/CE approval (even tho it should exceed the requirements). Not lead free. PayPal wouldn't be free. I can't warrantee the converter (I'll try to fix any problems that creep up tho). People won't buy it for a higher price et c.

It's a hobby thing. If I would have gone to an engineering company (like the one I work for) those 40 boards would have cost me around $8000 instead of the $1000 material + time.

I'll be quite happy to get that debt of my CC and a few converters out of it :)
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

So is it about $31? That's pretty good. :)
Hostile
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Hostile »

WarAdvocat wrote:This mean you're gonna come back and teach us how to play BI3 the Hostile way?
Oh yes my friend. It does....... >:)
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Nice. I need someone to distract zero so I can plug him.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Ack ! I just found out that I can't receive PayPal CC payments w/o upgrading my account and pay fees :( This means that you can only send payments via PayPal balance or bank account. Sorry ..
PayPal wrote:Note: Personal Accounts cannot receive payments funded with a credit card. You must upgrade to a Premier or Business account before this payment will be credited to your account.
[..]
If you upgrade to a Premier or Business account, all your pending credit card payments will be completed. With your new Premier or Business account, you will receive a range of premium features, such as the ability to accept unlimited credit card payments. You must pay fees to receive money for a Premier or Business account. The fees on incoming payments are low - just 1.9% + $0.30 USD to 2.9% + $0.30 USD to receive payments.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

A few pictures that are planned to go into the manual. Enjoy.

[*]

Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Looking good! What does the LED do? Light up when it is on?
Fusion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fusion »

Gren,
Yep,This is def the config I am interested in. Thx for designing these critters. :D Is there anything special to do diffrent w/this config of your adaptor than the default design?
Fus
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Xamindar wrote:Looking good! What does the LED do? Light up when it is on?
Bright if no 3DP connected, off if 3DP connected but no USB transfer going on, and dim if USB transfers happen.
Fusion wrote:This is def the config I am interested in. Is there anything special to do diffrent w/this config of your adaptor than the default design?
Well, that is the default dessign mounted on a gameport slot bracket. I don't provide them tho, you'll have to hunt for one yourself (if you don't have one). Besides that you need a hole in the PC to route the USB cable to the outside.

Edit: after some searching -- the ASUS part number for that bracket is 14-000012221. AFAIK the ASUS RMA department sells them. Compudatasystems Frontierpc etc.

[moved]
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Is that a picture of the card resting on an anti-static bag?
-Suncho
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Sure looks like it.

that box looks like some of the ones we use at work. Great job grendel. This is probably one of the greatest things done for the community in years. (er.. besides the server move. ;))
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Re:

Post by Suncho »

Duper wrote:Sure looks like it.
???
-Suncho
SuperSheep
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by SuperSheep »

Yep, that would be an anti-static bag. Probably contained some of the parts Grendel ordered. :P
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Isn't that how you kill circuit boards... by putting them on the outside of anti-static bags?
-Suncho
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Assembled the board isn't very sensitive to ESD, esp. if it's hooked up to the USB port (I zapped mine pretty good a few times w/o it even loose a beat :)). For transport it's recommended to have it in a bag, just in case.
SuperSheep wrote:Yep, that would be an anti-static bag. Probably contained some of the parts Grendel ordered. :P
Actually I ordered a batch, part of the $1 packaging :P