Overclocking my AMD 3800+ Venice

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Overclocking my AMD 3800+ Venice

Post by TigerRaptor »

Well I think its time overclock my CPU and see how much I can get out of it. I?m planning on going from 2.4 to around 2.8,2.9, and if possible I?ll take it to 3.1. (if it can go that high) Unmodified my cpu is runs 25c-28c on idle, and 39c when running games. System temper stays around 24c-28c with two side fans and one fan in the back. Couple of hard drive fans as well.

Now this where I have every thing set at the moment and seems stable. CPU is 32c on idle, active 38c. System temp stays around 27c to 30c. When I ran UT2004 for about ten minutes temp jumped up to 49c. I also ran prime95 and every thing check out ok. The CPU temp stayed around 48c-49c when conducting these tests for over an hour.

High Performance Mode: Set from Optimized to Manual

CPU FSB Frequency: set from 200 to 216

Extra CPU Voltage: Set 3.3% over VID

MF4 Voltage: set from 1.50v to 1.55v

End results, CPU is at 2.6

All below the Red Zone.

My system.

CPU: AMD 64 3800+ Venice single core
Mobo: MSI K8N Neo4/NVidia nForce 4 Chipset Based
Ram: 1024MB DDR PC3200
Video: Evga e-GeFore 6600 256 mb pci-e
HD: 20 and 60 IDE
DVD burner and Cd-rom
Power Supply 400w

All I need now in order to go higher is a good cooling system. Any recommendations on a good heatsink.
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

have you thought about liquid cooling?
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

I have thought about it, just its going to cost a little bit more green.
CritterB
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by CritterB »

I'm in the same boat. I have a 3700+ running at 2.6. It currently idles at 36 with stock heatsink and fan and I don't want to go any higher until I get a nice, quiet fan and heatsink. I've been looking at the zalman 9500 but it is expensive ($59 at newegg). I remember seeing one a little while ago that used a similar design with equally impressive results but I can't remember what it was and can't find it again. I'll be interested to hear what you go with Tiger and how well it works.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

This going to cost more than just a heatsink. There is a good chance I'm going to need to upgrade my power supply as well. All it?s give a model number and no brand name, and god help me if it?s a PowerMax power supply. I should have looked when I bought this ATX case.
CritterB wrote:I'm in the same boat. I have a 3700+ running at 2.6. It currently idles at 36 with stock heatsink and fan and I don't want to go any higher until I get a nice, quiet fan and heatsink. I've been looking at the zalman 9500 but it is expensive ($59 at newegg). I remember seeing one a little while ago that used a similar design with equally impressive results but I can't remember what it was and can't find it again. I'll be interested to hear what you go with Tiger and how well it works.
As for your question, these two heatsinks have caught my eye.

THERMALRIGHT XP-120

Thermaltake SONIC TOWER
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

The XP-120 and SI-120 are solid heatsinks, though as of late a lot of people are opting for the Scythe Ninja.