Overclocking an X2 4400 and MB question

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Overclocking an X2 4400 and MB question

Post by ReadyMan »

I'm about ready to purchase my new system and am pretty set on the AMD 4400 X2 dual processor CPU.
but I'm wondering if it overclocks like a single CPU or if more is involved.

I havent OC'd a system since my p3 800 and want to get a motherboard that OCs easily. I was set on the DFI NF4 SLI mb (not the UT version) until I read some articles on OC'ing that mentioned that it was pretty complicated.
So I decided to get an Asus A8N SLI premium mb for its easy software OC'ing...but just as I'm about to make the purchase I read a ton of reviews saying that there are problems with the Bios, with not being able to load windows (I guess there are bios issues with ram timings and such), and a myriad of other problems that I would be unable to deal with on my own.
So now I'm back to the DFI board, unless someone has a good suggestion for me...?

Stability is my prime concern. No problems or issues (I've gone intel chips and mbs for a while now just for stability).

Also, I read a blurb about problems between dual processors and windows XP? Are there any issues with dual processors? Again, stability is my main concern.

Thanks!

RM

Edit---and is a Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu fan worth $12 more than a standard amd retail fan?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Go with the DFI board, the BIOS options for overclocking should be easy enough to figure out. Dual core chips use the same methods for overclocking as single cores, but it's highly unlikey you will get the same level of overclock since it's two cores that have to reach speed instead of just one. My vote would be stick to stock speeds or a modest overclock, spend more effort on stability then raw performance, the chip has plenty of that at stock. I think there are or were some issues with a version of windows and dual core somewhere, but I believe it is easily resolved. Windows XP can handle multiprocessor systems with no problems, if it did have a problem with dual core it can probably be fixed by a short visit to windows update.

On the heatsink, I think the really popular one lately is the Thermalright XP-90c (c for copper), a lot of people say it is the best Athlon x2 / 64 / P4 heatsink.
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

Yeah, I was thinking that with the 4400 I wouldnt need to OC much, if at all.
However, I'm paying a bit more for a couple of the components, just because they will OC well:

The DFI board itself
http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant ... ode=110222

2 GB (2 pcs 1GB) DDR (400) PC-3200 OCZ Dual Channel Platinum
http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant ... ode=140226

The PSU
http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant ... ode=100162

(though I need this for possible future SLI, though I'm tempted to get a PSU that is "SLI ready", like this 550w Antec:
http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant ... ode=100241

and of course the Heatsink.

I wonder if I should stick with a single core CPU with these parts and go for the Overclock, or maybe trade out the RAM / PSU / MB for something a bit cheaper, but not so geared for OC'ing...

or just stick with my item list since they are all great parts.

Opinions?
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

The DBB Tech Forum is the friendliest place on the web.
(double post)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Stick with what you got, if you keep on second guessing everything you will never upgrade. ;) Oh yeah, I heard that fan is a good one too.
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I guess I posted to late in the other thread you had, but check out the Opterons.
Mr. Perfect wrote:Also, look into the socket 939 Opterons. The 4400+ and the Opteron 175 are identical to each other, but an OEM 175 can be had for $461 at Monarchcomputer, as opposed to $512 for the 4400+. There haven't been as many reports on the dual core Opterons as there have been on the single core, but the Opteron chips seem to be the pick of the litter and overclock better then the Athlons. Just something to keep in mind if you're into OCing.
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

I saw that post Mr. P. I'm teh noob when it comes to overclocking, and I know nothing about the opterons. I'll take a look though :)

Krom's right, though, I've been second guessing everything :|

2 more questions:
Do I need a different heatsink fan (other than the retail) if I'm just going to mildly overclock?

The DFI board comes with yellow uv rounded cables. To get them to glow, I need to put a UV light in the case, not just a cold cathode light, right?
I was planning on getting some red rounded uv cables, but if the mb comes with them, I wont need other ones. And after I get the system, I'll get a blue cc light at cooler guys or somewhere and put it in myself (I wonder if they make a duel light: cc and uv?).

Thanks!

I think I'll be ordering it tonight.

RM
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

You don't *need* a different heatsink, but if you get an XP-90c and a quiet fan for it along with the right case your PC should run very quietly and still be plenty cool enough for a mild overclock.
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

excellent. Thanks Krom.
Does a PSU need to be "sli ready" to run it in SLI mode? Basically the 2nd video card plugs into the pci-e slot and connects to the psu right?
What's the difference between this 520w OCZ PSU and the 600w SLI OCZ PSU (or an Antec PSU that is SLI ready)?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

I'm not entirely sure what the difference is, other then SLI requires quite a bit of power, perhaps an SLI ready PSU has two of the 6 pin video card power connectors. I don't think it's absolutely necessary to run SLI mode, but probably wouldn't hurt the stability if you used it, especially while overclocked.
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

just wondering about a possible future 2nd video card and using the SLI. I'd hate to find out I need another PSU to run SLI. I cant seem to find anything on this though.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Ignore it, if you arent going to use SLI now, don't think of it as an upgrade path because it isn't. By the time you would think about it, you could get a single card thats faster has more features then upgrading your existing system to SLI and it would cost almost the same.
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

ReadyMan wrote:I'm teh noob when it comes to overclocking, and I know nothing about the opterons. I'll take a look though :)
The socket 939 Opterons (not the socket 940s), are esentially the same thing as the Athlon 64s. They plug right into your Athlon 64 board, and are overclocked the same way. They're generally considered to be the higher quality chips that AMD picks out for the tough life of server duty.

That and they have a lower price, since you can get them as OEM. :D The OEMs don't have a heatsink of course, but if you're getting a XP-90c, then you don't need the retail heatsink anyhow.