VR musings

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Darkside Heartless
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

VR musings

Post by Darkside Heartless »

I don't see how VR isn't mainstream yet. I mean we already have 3d animating to an art, all we need to do is put a pair of camera points instead of just one. If I had any skill in programming, I could turn D1-3 into VR games. All you need is 2 small led screens on a pair of goggles, a second camera point, and a little programming skill.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

All the needed equipment is expensive and out of reach to the mainstream gamer ... We do this a lot in military viz apps but in order to make it any good you need to invest a few grand in some really good equipment.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

www.essentialreality.com

this VR glove is only $150US (cheaper 2nd hand on ebay etc)
it's pretty cool too, we've been programming some cute things for it to see what it's capable of.
now all we need is zee cheap goggles.

so yeah, the prices are comming down on VR stuff.
but another reason that VR hasn't taken off yet is because the game market has concentrated mostly on tried and true methods.

everyone knows howto use a mouse in a FPS game.

do you remember when FPS games were new? it was kinda hard to get into them coz it took a while to get used to aiming with the mouse. but now it's 2nd nature for everyone.

so with VR, people have to learn a new way to control their pc. all over again. personally i love new control methods, but most people don't and just prefer what they are used to. everyone is used to the mouse.

back to the VR glvoe i linked earlier: the company is worried about the strangely small amount of games out there that can even use VR. the glove has a mouse-emulation-mode on it for this very reason, because people are so used to using mice and prettymuch all games currently use a mouse. i mean think of it, what games out there can you use a VR glove in? NONE!!!! they all have to be patched or made specifically. one game they have patched is Black and White, looks well suited to VR in theory yeah, but most games they have had to patch are just FPS games, because of the lack of popular games that could benefit easily from a VR glove.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

WB roid! Image
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

Woohoo, roid's back!
roid
DBB Master