Patch Status

Feedback for the Outrage Entertainment D3 dev team members - bug reports, patch issues, your raves (or rants).
Repo Man
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

He's still with us!

Post by Repo Man »

Pugwash wrote:He commited suicide as the US entered Baghdad. I thought that was a shame, he rocked. He had chat show host written all over him.
Infidel!!! Good ol' Baghdad Bob is not dead!!! He has a new gig on Abu Dhabi TV. :)
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

I was just going to say that.... lol
Repo Man
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Repo Man »

Come to think of it...Since he speaks English, I bet Baghdad Bob would be a big hit on the Air America talk radio network! :p
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

I wonder if he and Oprah could switch places. That would be an interesting setup. :)
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

He should be the Special Iraqi Correspondant (tm) that every news station has a dozen of.
Pugwash
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Pugwash »

http://www.welovetheiraqiinformationmin ... _jobs.html

That website seemed a little confused about what he was doing now. I do hope I am wrong and he is alive and kicking. He could be the Iraqi "springer" :P
MD-1224
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

The Information Minister

Post by MD-1224 »

Hey, I remember seeing him...heh. He was the one that said, "We're winning!", while all the while the US planes were flying overhead. That was hilarious!
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

heh, and you posted in this old ass thread to say that? ;)
GehRehmee
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by GehRehmee »

As long as we don't give up our hope in this thread, we don't have to give up hope in the patch :)
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

heh

*points to Multiplayer forum*

Its out dude.
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

It's kinda out. The 1.5 people are using is the old PC-only beta.
Topher67
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

where is the 1.5 patch?

Post by Topher67 »

So can I get the windows only 1.5 beta patch (website)?
Also, if I install it, I assume I will not be able to join any 1.4 multi-player games -- right?
Is there a way to switch between the two patch levels?
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Copy your D3 folder and install 1.5. This way you'll have 2 v ersions.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

GehRehmee
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by GehRehmee »

Unless I'm mistaken, it's been over a year now since the last word from Kevin or anybody from Outrage. Is the hope for an official 1.5 patch (esp. something that would help us Linux players) still alive, or are we more or less finished? Is it even worth having a D3 Dev Team forum anymore?
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

I'd say it's long abandoned.

Although I'm sure Kevin is a busy man, it's a shame he can't take a couple minutes out of a day to speak one way or the other about the patch status.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Either that, or pass the code over to someone who could take the time to finally finish it. I know there are probably legal issues, but I highly doubt that anyone on the planet would care in the slightest if someone got their hands on D3's source code. I'm sure that there's at least one person in this community who would be able to finally finish the thing up.
GehRehmee
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by GehRehmee »

Top Gun wrote:Either that, or pass the code over to someone who could take the time to finally finish it. I know there are probably legal issues, but I highly doubt that anyone on the planet would care in the slightest if someone got their hands on D3's source code. I'm sure that there's at least one person in this community who would be able to finally finish the thing up.
GehRehmee wrote:If Descent 3 is really as dead as it sounds, how much longer will it be before we see an open source release a la Descent 1 and 2? If we're able to just do our own 1.5 patch soon, maybe Kevin's just figuring it's easier to wait?
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Kevin, I was told, has a bad habit of hogging source code. If I remember correctly, it was said that he was partially responsible for bringing down Kahn by hogging code necessary for it to run on certain operating systems.

So this isn't a new scenario.

I did a quickie search a while ago. Pair his name up with his wife's first and you'll find him in Tucson near Davis-Monthan, Arizona. Didn't get a phone # like I wanted, though. I only intended on first congratulating him on the baby (best wishes from the DescentBB, etc.) and them politely asking him about the 1.5 project. :|
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

I called Nate Goudie at work once. I never got an email back from anyone at Outrage ever again.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Skyalmian wrote:Kevin, I was told, has a bad habit of hogging source code. If I remember correctly, it was said that he was partially responsible for bringing down Kahn by hogging code necessary for it to run on certain operating systems.
That's a pretty serious allegation dude..
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Ferno wrote:
Skyalmian wrote:Kevin, I was told, has a bad habit of hogging source code. If I remember correctly, it was said that he was partially responsible for bringing down Kahn by hogging code necessary for it to run on certain operating systems.
That's a pretty serious allegation dude..
I didn't originally say it, but given the current D3 source circumstances, it seems quite true:
The one who told me on March 02, 2005 wrote:I knew the guy back when he was with Stargate Networks (the folks behind Kahn) and he was the same way back then.

He's also partially responsible for the downfall of Kahn.

He hoarded the 32-bit code necessary to let kahn run on 2000/XP, and wouldn't release it, so Kahn eventually died.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Maybe we should get some heat on in that case..

Edit: http://www.samspade.org/t/lookat?a=www.kevlar.net
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Figures that I looked at all the wrong places.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

;)

If someone manages to get the source code, I could maintain the Windoze part and set up & maintain a CVS server on my 24/7 comp so other (Linux/Mac/Win) programmer can access the code. I'd secure it w/ a weekly changing password than would be mailed to "registered" programmers. Or we could set up a source forge project..

Well, one can dream.. :(
Topher67
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Topher67 »

Grendel wrote:Well, one can dream.. :(
That's a sweet dream indeed. With the source released, I'm sure the community could do a lot with the game (bug fixes and enhancements). However, at this stage of the game (oops -- made a pun) this is very much looking like a pipe dream. Itâ??s a shame too â?? D3 could really use a shot in the arm about now.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Screw Descent 3. Between Diedel's D2X and DLE-XP and Pumo's Windows XP revision of DEVIL, we have a serious D1/D2 renaissance coming. Just as much fun as Descent 3 anyway.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Kyouryuu wrote:Screw Descent 3. Between Diedel's D2X and DLE-XP and Pumo's Windows XP revision of DEVIL, we have a serious D1/D2 renaissance coming. Just as much fun as Descent 3 anyway.

X2
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Kyouryuu wrote:Screw Descent 3. Between Diedel's D2X and DLE-XP and Pumo's Windows XP revision of DEVIL, we have a serious D1/D2 renaissance coming. Just as much fun as Descent 3 anyway.
agreed. D3 = stinky
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I'd have to respectfully disagree. While the D1/2 renaissance is great, D3 will always be my personal favorite. Just take a look at the FS2 SCP and imagine if those same type of improvements could be made to D3's source code...the possibilities are almost limitless.
darwinsGate
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by darwinsGate »

There is a link on descent3.com to download the 1.5 patch for windows. I read somewhere that this is Kevin Bentley's and Suncho's site so I presume the patch is legit, right?

dG
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

"legit" is loose phrasiology.... but yea.. it's out there..
Fusion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fusion »

Duper wrote:"legit" is loose phrasiology.... but yea.. it's out there..

and here is how you can get the 1.5 patch:
phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4830
and this is my source:
phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4953

Fus
Nightmare USA
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nightmare USA »

darwinsGate
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by darwinsGate »

Kevin Bentley says "Ok, I do have permission to release patches now!" in this thread - phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=144&postdays=0&po ... t&start=40

Is there some other issue that calls the patch's legitimacy into question?

dG
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

This 1.5 patch was sanctioned for release 3 or 4 (!) years ago. The person who got the permission hold it off expecting a full 1.5 release (incl. Mac/Linux) shortly (at that time). Got pissed enough after a few years to finally release it..
GehRehmee
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by GehRehmee »

darwinsGate wrote:Kevin Bentley says "Ok, I do have permission to release patches now!" in this thread - phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=144&postdays=0&po ... t&start=40

Is there some other issue that calls the patch's legitimacy into question?

dG
Well, its always sort have been assumed that d3 players on all platforms would be able to play each other multiplayer. The existance of an official win32 1.5 patch without a corresponding update for mac and linux.. well... frankly it's sort of a slap in the face. "Thanks for paying for your game, sorry you can't play with 95% of the other players." My hope that I'm reading too much into this is dwindling.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

darwinsGate wrote:Is there some other issue that calls the patch's legitimacy into question?
Kevin wasn't the one who released it; a member of the community did. As such, it isn't an official release in any sense of the word. There are some of us who feel it never should have been released at all in this way.
Topher67
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Patch Status

Post by Topher67 »

Hypothetically speaking, letâ??s say someone released the source code (acquired by whatever means). What do you think would happen?
GehRehmee
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re: Patch Status

Post by GehRehmee »

Topher67 wrote:Hypothetically speaking, letâ??s say someone released the source code (acquired by whatever means). What do you think would happen?
If it's under a moderately open license?

<conjecture>
See if you can't get it hosted on icculus.org. Public CVS and bugtracking. Get it compiling on a few platforms (IIRC the D3 Linux released used SDL, which should be pretty easy to port back to windows & OSX). Once you're down to one source tree for all platforms, fix bugs. All this is dependant on a reasonable level of manpower & interest, but given Descent's slighty-quirky/geeky nature I imagine it would be relatively easy to market to developers.

Put together a package with a D3 base, single-player missions (official or 3rd party), some good multiplayer, and it would offer gameplay that nobody else is really doing under Linux.
</conjecture>