No more red ink!

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

No more red ink!

Post by MD-2389 »

The story

Of all the things to complain about.... :roll:

What's next, setting up color trends? "Hmm, is orange ink the new pink this year?"
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Lol.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

good idea really.

i respond to the colour red a little faster than other colours. indicating a more basic brain (aggressive) link to the colour. which makes sense, red = blood.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Next we'll be using chartruse for stop lights because people will think the light is talking down to them :roll:
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooookie dooooookie
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Avder wrote:Next we'll be using chartruse for stop lights because people will think the light is talking down to them :roll:
red stop lights make sense, coz running a red light IS dangerous.
Vertigo 99
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Vertigo 99 »

uhh, i dunno, i reacted pretty much the same to every color there, .29 (with slight oscillations)

lol i love that word
Plebeian
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Plebeian »

And here I always thought that the red marks were so you could easily distinguish it from your own pen marks on the page (unlike using, say, blue or black). I was never traumatized by seeing red marks of either persuasion on my papers, and I could always tell what the teacher was trying tell me.

But then again, I must be an idiot. I think all teachers should be required to use the exact same pens as the students used on their paper. Since the student obviously likes the color they used, then the teachers won't be offending them by reusing that color (but might offend them on the thickness or consistency of the ink, so should use the exact same pen). :P :lol:
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

Excuse me while I go laugh my head off. :lol:

Whoa, boy... where do I start. Perhaps, first off, if the students didn't study enough to get the right answers, they should have their papers marked up with the teacher's ink, which should be as negative as possible. If someone is traumatized by the sight of red ink... let's just say I pity that poor kid when (IF) he gets a professional job. Secondly, have any students really complained about red ink? How many? One? Two? Out of how many? 500? 1,000? Get some perspective. Do a cost/benefit analysis on the use of red ink in schools.

What the heck am I saying... this country is so screwed up any more it's not even funny.

The day you can't tell someone "no, that's wrong" because it has negative connotations is the day I move to Japan.
Viralphrame
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Viralphrame »

He has instructed his teachers to grade with colors featuring more "pleasant-feeling tones" so that their instructional messages do not come across as derogatory or demeaning.
I doubt some 4th grade kid will feel very pleasant when he brings home a paper with a purple-colored F. :P
Plebeian
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Plebeian »

Viralphrame wrote:I doubt some 4th grade kid will feel very pleasant when he brings home a paper with a purple-colored F. :P
Or maybe a nice, happy, sunny yellow F. :lol:

Your kid is a moron. Have a nice day! :D
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

article wrote:Parents objected. Red writing, they said, was "stressful." The principal said teachers were just giving constructive advice and the color of ink used to convey that message should not matter. But some parents could not let it go.
Yea... I heard about this last year. What a crock. ..."oh.. we don't want to feel bad about FAILING!!! no no.. that SHOULD be a warm Fuzzy occation. :roll:
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Purple or maroon are relaxing colors. How about those?
Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

If you're stupid enough to have that much red on your paper, you should feel bad. Stop being morons, pansies.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

"My generation was brought up on right or wrong with no in between, and red was always in your face," Kazmark said. "It's abrasive to me. Purple is just a little bit more gentle. Part of my job is to be attuned to what kids respond to, and red is not one of those colors."

It makes me just want to puke...all over Mr. Kazmark and his sensitivity!!!
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

I am SO glad I am not going to school right now. Good luck to you parents.

Can I have my bloody mary now? ...thank you ...
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Beowulf wrote:If you're stupid enough to have that much red on your paper, you should feel bad. Stop being morons, pansies.
Exactly. Thats the entire POINT of a failing grade. However, you can't fail anyone ever since the "no child left behind" crap was introduced. :roll: Yes, lets dumb things down even more, and shove even more idiots to the next grade when they can barely read or comprehend basic math. Way to go! :roll: They need a proper education, not to get shoved to the next grade when they couldn't even comprehend what they were supposed to already learn.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

careful MD your eyes will get dizzy
Admiral Thrawn
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Admiral Thrawn »

haha MD, you just gave me ammo for my blog

http://www.korrupted.net/index.cfm?sect ... &newsid=40

Thanks dude!
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

MD-2389 wrote:However, you can't fail anyone ever since the "no child left behind" crap was introduced.
Methinks somebody misunderstands the "no child left behind" act...

NCLB isn't an act that says "you can't be left behind a grade" -- it's an act that says "you can't be pushed forward a grade if you don't understand". It mandates that if you can't pass the test at the end of the year, you retake the year rather than going ahead and being behind everyone else.