Stupid move of the week...

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

llClutchll
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Stupid move of the week...

Post by llClutchll »

I am so dumb...

So you remember I went through my entire engine bay for the '68, re-doing everything in sight. Stripping, painting, etc...

Well, I was on the freeway doing a debug run on the car when I noticed the temperature slowly climbing. The gauge moved from 50% to 55% to 60%... I was getting worried so I pulled off thinking there was a timing issue generating the heat at speed.

After pulling off the freeway and doing some normal city driving, the temperature continued to rise. Not cool, considering the fact that I also added "Wetter water" to the mix.

I let her cool down for a while, and used side streets to get home... same problem, steadily rising heat.

I got it home, and went through the normal checks, pump flows, thermostat opens, good seal around fan shroud, plenty of coolant, then I see it...

The color of the radiator is the exact same color and shade as the headers! I had mistakenly painted the radiator with high temp ceramic header paint! So what you say? Well, this particular paint is designed to help RETAIN heat in the headers to reduce engine compartment heat. Guess what happens when you put a non thermally conductive paint on a radiator that needs to transfer heat from the fins to the air? Absolutely Nothing! :roll:

On the plus side, I now have a 3 row modern radiator instead of the original 37 year old (never re-cored) 2 row that barely functioned in modern traffic.
Scratch
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Scratch »

Doh! I feel your pain man. I just got done putting on my Turbo Back Exhaust on my evo -- needless to say it didn't go as smoothly as I had envisioned ;) My knuckles love me...LOOOOVE me...all swollen and bloody. hah!

hang in there clutch, it will get done with time. The fun part is going to be removing that paint ;)
llClutchll
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by llClutchll »

Naw, the paint can stay, I put the original radiator in the crawl space with the other stock parts. If I ever decide to go back to stock, I'll re-core it at that time.

And as for the knuckles, I hear ya... I can still feel the pain from the last couple of months work whenever it's gonna rain! :)
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Ouch, thats gotta hurt dude...but atleast that paint will protect it from all that road salt. ;)
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

I would have probably put a new radiator in it anyway. Just, uhh, dont paint this one, eh? :P
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

hahahaahahaha. it sucks that you made a mistake, but you gotta admit it's one of those funny haha oops slap-forehead cue-laughtrack situations you can do nothing but laugh off. :)
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

roid wrote:you gotta admit it's one of those funny haha oops slap-forehead cue-laughtrack situations you can do nothing but laugh off. :)
WORD.
llClutchll
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by llClutchll »

punisher wrote:I would have probably put a new radiator in it anyway. Just, uhh, dont paint this one, eh? :P
Easier said and done when Single :)

I was laughing! After I finished installing the new [unpainted] radiator :) The mechanics and engineers here at work who have been helping me REALLY enjoyed this one!