D1/D2 Level Thread

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.
Vlider
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

D1/D2 Level Thread

Post by Vlider »

Discuss levels or level releases here.
Lobber
Emotastic!!
Emotastic!!

Post by Lobber »

I've zipped all of my levels, every last one I've created, into two files, one for D1 and one for D2.
They are hosted on Koolbear's Site!

Lobber's D1 levels 405.3 KB

Lobber's D2 levels 1.5 megs

D1 level pack:

AWOL
Clash 500
Cressida
DoH (Duel of Honor)
Icarus1
Icarus-Lite
Just4Lan
Jysla
Loberva
Miranda
Mothball
Oberon
Ophelia
Opiate ("A level for Opiate")
Penumbra
Portia
Rat-Race
Tempest
Tempest 1.2 (Mega Tempest)
Umbriel
Vault

D2 Level Pack:

1D-3D ("Tour of the First 3 Dimensions")
Ariel
Art of War
Bianca
Butterfly
Chrysalis (Different from Tyranny's version)
Cordelia
Cordelia-S ("Shaker")
Cordelia-S2 (+Observatory)
Corners3 ("Corners Edge")
Cressida 2.0
Dodecahedron
Firepower
Fusion-B ("Fusion-Bianca")
Icarus2r ("D2-Revival Version")
Icarus2v ("Vanilla Version")
Loberva 2.0
Miranda 2.0
NaCl
Opiate 2.0 ("Opiate's Castle")
Portia 2.0
Portia 2.1 (Shaker version)
Puck
PyroDynamis (Firepower in Latin)
PyroDynamis 2.0 (Bouncer Columns)
PyroDynamis 69
Rhombus
Robo-B ("Robo-Bouncer" = play on robo-anarchy for best effect)
Sun Tzu
Sun Tzu 2.0 (Deeper hidden reactor)
Tempest 2.0
Tempest 2.1 (Shaker version)
Tempest 2.2 (Bouncer version)
Torus
Tubular
Tubular 2.0 (Tags on wall)
Umbriel 2.1
Uranus 2.0 (7 level set)
Vault 2.0
Vuck
Ximple
Xmall
Xmall 2.0
Xmallest
Xmallest 2.0

Any Questions?
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

My D1 levels and screenshots can be found here.

Zora is a fast, tight 1v1 power-weapons level (no spread, 1 vulcan, lots of quads / plasma / fusion.) I've had some really enjoyable matches in there.

Tetrafusion is something altogether different from most D1 levels. It's the edges of a big triangular pyramid -- a tetrahedron -- with 4 fusion cannons. There isn't any real "up" or "down" to it.

Those are my 2 favorite self-made levels...
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

I'll Zip up my levels sometime and post em somewhere.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

http://missions.dyndns.org/

mmm...yeah, says it all :)
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

So uh... what are some of the best missions you've done? A list of 30-40 missions is all well and good, but what are your recommendations for the "best of the best" of your levels?
Lobber
Emotastic!!
Emotastic!!

Post by Lobber »

Vader: You can post them on Koolbear's site like I have done. It's an easy upload, with a simple registration to his site. It's like uploading to an open FTP. That is of course, assuming his site isn't down again.

Lothar: I assume that question was directed at me since I listed all the names of all the levels I've made and posted. I'll get back to you on that. Perhaps I'll edit the original post and describe each level and give them one to five stars as to which I remember being good, and which other people didn't like.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

They probably don't all involve mathematical shapes, unlike your levels Lothar. :P

I think that one of your levels is your wife's avatar in disguise. Or is it the other way around?
Lobber
Emotastic!!
Emotastic!!

An Honest Self Level Review

Post by Lobber »

D1 level pack:

AWOL
This is the prototype level for my Icarus level. It is included for archival purposes only.
* One Star â?? for reason that it is out of date.

Clash 500
This level was abit too large and made for long fights with mega missiles. It was conceived of in a dream I had, with a large underground parking garage with many support pillars blocking the space within. Some people enjoyed it, as it was a terrifying place to fight. Fights took longer because of the fact that when you left your spawn point you immediately gained 500 shields, and could handle a couple of direct mega hits.
* One Star â?? for reason that people felt it was too large for one on one fights and too dark to see anything.

Cressida
This level was a conceptual level that incorporated an alarm detection system. By way of triggers, anyone entering a room would set off a trigger in a hidden underground subway that required a trick to enter. It's a very blocky level, and few people played it for any length of time.
* One Star â?? for lack of popularity, and the fact that people hate secrets.

DoH (Duel of Honor)
This level was another concept that I had, for an honorable fight between opponents using only flares. Of course, that would take forever, so there is a trigger upon entering the cage area that drops your shields down to five points, allowing for faster fighting bouts. This level really requires three people to play properly, two combatants and one referee.
** Two Stars â?? some people enjoyed duking it out in the main areas without really using the level the way it was designed, however, implimentation of the level was perfect.

Icarus1
In this level, the rightful heir to the throne of AWOL, I have created my Opus. This is the greatest D1 level I have ever made, or could ever make. It has secrets within secrets within even more secrets. At first glance, the casual pilot would never even know any secrets existed here â?? they are so well hidden. The ultimate power of Descent can be realized here, if you find the â??Wings of Icarusâ?
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

This could potentially become a rather long thread, couldn't it?
Lobber
Emotastic!!
Emotastic!!

Post by Lobber »

Yes, that's why I got my reply in first. :D
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

http://kyouryuu.furvect.com has all my stuff.
LordDeath
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by LordDeath »

Here's my level's page on The Whoopass Cannery (which yes, is still around but hasn't been updated for a few years.)

http://www.thewhoopasscannery.com/descent/ldlevels.html

Nice to see some old fogies here. :)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Hey Lord Death, who did the Fusion cannon on the front page. I've always loved that pic. was wondering if they still have that model laying around.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

hey! what happened to NaCl?
Lobber
Emotastic!!
Emotastic!!

Post by Lobber »

Ferno wrote:hey! what happened to NaCl?
Nothing happened to it.
Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tricord »

I created two levels worth mentioning.

The first, Tricord's Descent Party is an architectural level with different themes (medieval, water, nuclear base, etc..) and sports some nice features (there's even a shoot-and-kill-the-right-hostage-and-win-a-shaker game). You should have seen this level, but that's it. I don't think it's very suitable for actual gameplay.

The second, Bulldogfight Observatory is my original small and action-packed multiplayer level Bulldogfight re-designed to sport a huge observatory area around the level, where other ships can watch all the action below without interfering. I can't seem to find the original Bulldogfight level file, but this one is just the same with the extra observatory. The level sports golden plasma and smart missiles.
This was done at the time observatories were momentarily very popular, when someone (Kruel I believe) first came up with the idea.

Check them both out, even if it's only in singleplayer. They're both unusual in many ways. If you've never seen an observatory level, you should definitely check the second one out, it's pretty cool :)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Wonder if that was the observatory level I found...
Sirian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sirian »

http://sirian.warpcore.org/descent.html

http://sirian.warpcore.org/archive.html

My best levels for Descent:

Black Rose - Birdseye's D1 home level. What more needs to be said about its quality?

Greenland - The classic plasma/quads battleground. kufyit's home level.

The Cannery - The classic fusion dueling ground.

Ugh - Fusion in a Box (TM). Concept thanks to kiln, who used to say this would be his perfect level.

Three Sisters - First level of its kind, another heavily played classic. You must see it to understand.

June Bug - California favorite, one of my last levels.

Rat Hunt - LordDeath's home level. Not for the timid.

Fusion Rat's Paradise - MY home level! Never lost there, to anybody. 8)

http://idl.warpcore.org/homelevs/frp.html

http://idl.warpcore.org/homelevs/greenlnd.html

http://idl.warpcore.org/homelevs/rose.html

http://idl.warpcore.org/homelevs/rat-hunt.html

My best levels for Descent 2:

Gunfight - Laser level for D2. Serious players only! No wussies, sissies or crybabies to whine up and down the halls about lack of their favorite toys. :lol:

Pro Lightning! The ultimate flash missile level and my D2 home. Effect spoiled slightly by buggy 3DFX lighting, which doesn't COMPLETELY blind the player the way the original game did. (I designed this level before 3DFX became common).

Pro Laserdeath - Heaven for keyboard players.

Bow to Phoenix, D1 Boy! - Two levels by Nirvana, but designed to my specs. We collaborated. The first level has one phoenix cannon and is a king of the hill level. The second level is the ultimate two-phoenix dogfight level, and my second D2 home. Defeated Birdseye there 20 to 6 in an IDL match.

White Rose, Greenland Pro, Three Brothers, June Bug. D2 versions of the D1 classics.

Three Brothers is a whoop-your-@$$ phoenix level. The phoenix changes everything.

June Bug with burners is just scary.

http://idl.warpcore.org/homelevs/proltng.html

http://idl.warpcore.org/homelevs/bow2phnx.html

- Sirian
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

thanx for the links sirian. those were fun to read... especially the pilots writing out their version of the events.

mobius one time detailed a kill by kill of a 1 vs 1 between birdseye and DT complete with the d3 demo. that was tight.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Yes, we used to do those quite often. The War Journal was one of my favorite parts about the IDL. Then it got dropped because people stopped submitting stories. That and it saved the IDL staff from doing more updates then time allowed them. EDPR had a few, but again very few submitted anything. Esp and myself were the only ones with more then one War story.

http://edpr.gotdns.com/

As you can see it hasn't been updated in quite a while. Mike stopped updating it because we were pretty much done with Descent. I really wish he would have finished the updated Pilots section including the "honored" portion. It was fun writing tributes to a bunch of the greats of this game :P
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

ooooh, i have one on there!

;)
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

ahhh, so that's where EDPR went. I was looking for the kufyit comic for my Chicago writeup...
Sirian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sirian »

::Checks out EDPR::

Wow, I made a level called Shoebox? :?

::Tries to remember...::

Well, I probably did. Must not have been a memorable one, though. The level title probably says it all. :lol:

- Sirian
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

hehe
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Find my D2 levels here (check the side menu).

My top 3 multiplayer levels are Pyromaniac, Diedel's Playground (D2 and Unreal textured versions available), and Unreal-D2.

Pretty good levels are 1999, Fubar and Pyrotechnica (the latter imo is a piece of art, rather on the big side though).

Then I've built two new levels in 2004: Circus Maximus (dogfight/ratting) and Dogfight!.

No wait, there's a third one: It's called "With Flying Colors" and is a CTF level. Rather large and 900 cubes though ... :roll: ... as this does not pose a problem on today's computers and broadband connections.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Okay... the various missions DarkHorse and I built... more than a hundred individual levels in total I do believe... are here:

Descent 1
Descent 2
Descent 3
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

forgotten levels

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Most of my levels (spread out across all 3 Descents totaling over 100 levels) are scattered across the database of planetdescent.com. No doubt I have a website of my own, but the download links went down a long time ago and I still (to this very day) can't understand why they don't work, even when the links are pointing to the right locations. Ah well, the most notable ones are Bahagad Outbreak for D2, Lost Levels for both D1 and D2, and Chocobo series for D3.
Riot
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Riot »

Sirius wrote:Okay... the various missions DarkHorse and I built... more than a hundred individual levels in total I do believe... are here:

Descent 1
Descent 2
Descent 3
What a bunch of dead links :P
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

God, I remember using Chocobo Racing as an OG3 test bed. Then after Chocobo went standard multi, we started using Chain of Grass. MAN that was long ago!
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Thought I'd submit my D1 mission/ level here.
I made this back in 1999. So its old, and go easy on me. I was young back then! :lol:

There is a README.txt in the ZIP file for info about the lvl.
Download DIGG

Thanks guys.
Enjoy! :)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Suspect I missed that.

Blame the web host, Riot. I plan to get it back up soon, but I do need to re-find a host that has what I want (adequate storage space, PHP, MySQL and not too obscene advertising). They are often hard to come by unless you happen to have some money on hand...
RatoN
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by RatoN »

I just finished this anarchy level for Descent 2 called Thanatos I figure I'd share.

http://mortalvision.dyndns.org/thanatos.zip

Enjoy :)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Good effort. Looks quite interesting.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

RatoN,

your level is good and solid work. It might however be a little on the large side, and personally I'd prefer it to be somewhat darker. ;)
RatoN
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by RatoN »

Diedel wrote:RatoN,

your level is good and solid work. It might however be a little on the large side, and personally I'd prefer it to be somewhat darker. ;)
Haha... Suncho said the same thing, but I guess I perfer well lit levels.

Regarding the size, I personally thought it was a little on the small side, but it works good with 2-4 players.
Tankie2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Descent2 Single player - Cooperative missions

Post by Tankie2 »

I'm looking for some good missions that will play in ORIGINAL and 3Dfx exe. I've downloaded a few that simply will not load and some that in fact crash 3dfx Elusions Design missions. I've done the Orion Nebula Project and Vertigo so many times I know them like the back of my hand now even after it's been a year or two since I last played them.

I know someone will say I shouldn't be using 3dfx or Descent2.exe, and I say that I have played the ellusions and some others using D2X (from the Bradley era) but hey, I'm OLD SCHOOL and there ain't been no sdl or ogl yet that compares to glide for prettiness inspite of all the extra pixels you can pack into the textures using opengl or sdl or whatever. But I digress.

If you have any old school single player missions could you zip them together and post a link here or PM, or perhaps offer them on Kali next time you see me? At this point I'd even appreciate some bad ones.

Thanks.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

If you don't know them, try Bahagad Outbreak and Lost Levels from DarkFlameWolf, and The Apocalyptic Factor. Find links on my D2 site.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

She was having trouble getting the newer levels working on regular old D2 and/or the 3DFX mod.

You can catch her on Kali if she doesn't respond here anytime soon.