D2X-XL Bug Reports - MS Windows

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

D2 Level 2. I started playing on Level 1. Everything seemed fine. Finished level 1. When level 2 came up I immediately noticed I was staring at a wall and not a door. When I tagged the door with lasers, it turned into a door and opened up.
loobusk
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by loobusk »

Nosferatu wrote:Version 1.4.51

OK now the bots looking through doors thing seems to be fixed but now the doors being rendered as walls when closed thing is back.
Yup its the latest one directly from his site, 1.4.51, it didnt work with 1.4.50 too. Im not sure if its the deal with the pilot profiles, since cant get it to work after numerous clean installs and stuff.
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

So maybe something is wrong with the D2X config Ioobusk.
I don't know if you already have done this, but check the D2X.INI file.
If you see the line: ";-fullscreen" then put away the ; so it looks like this: -fullscreen

In that way, the game will run in Full screen mode and some problems may be gone.
Well, at least that worked once for me ( the windowed mode crashed my PC sometimes).

Ah, and BTW, i recently seen a bug on D2X-W32. I don't know if is an issue of my cheap video card, but in levels with colored light, D2X-W32 renders the light as completely white in secondary textures (lamps, doors, grates, etc...). But when a Clip is present (example: when you open a door) the door is right colored, but when it closes again, it backs to the white color.
Is just me or there is a way to solve that? :?
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I had the same thing, just for the record.
VPN-User
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by VPN-User »

Diedel, thank you for adding the Notebook resolutions. But for me it still does not work. When I select 1400x1050, it says "This mode is not supported by your graphics adapter" which is just not true. I play Counter-Strike 1.6 with OpenGL at 1400x1050 without any problems so it should in D2X as well... :cry:
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I can use that resolution on my computer here (GF FX 5200), and that error message comes from querying DirectX via SDL for available video modes, so I will have a hard time fixing this.
VPN-User
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by VPN-User »

I have an ATI mobility FireGL T2 GPU (128MB) which is based on a Radeon 9600.

I can play SDL DirectX based games in 1400x1050! I play OpenTTD all the time with that resolution so it can' t be SDL or DirectX...
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Interesting considering it's pretty hard to get the code for that wrong.... :)

Edit: At least in a way that it's possible to get it to work for anyone at all, that is...
VPN-User
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by VPN-User »

Hoho Diedel :P

You did something wrong with 1400x1050...

If I turn off fullscreen, I get a smaller window than my native 1400x1050 resolution (and then´selecting 1400x1050 works). So there is something wrong with your implementation. I think it could be just a typo or something like that. Please check.

LOL when I select 1440x900 it in fact uses 1400x1050... What the...
VPN-User
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by VPN-User »

I have another request:

Switching resolutions on my (And I am sure on others, too!) TFT takes about 1-2 seconds which sucks when starting D2X-W32 because it switches two times, even when the native resolution is selected: First, when starting the exe before showing the playerprofiles and between showing playerprofiles and the main menu.

Could these (unnecessary) switches be avoided so that it just directly starts with the selected resolution and never switches?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Learn to use the edit button. You get 1400x1050 when chosing 1440x900, but the other resolutions work fine. Looks like your gfx driver doesn't support that resolution in fullscreen mode.
VPN-User
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by VPN-User »

Heh, my GFX driver supports all resolutions in fullscreen, except the widescreen ones.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

What D2X-W32 (actually the SDL) does is querying the driver for all available screen resolutions at a certain color depth (e.g. 32 bits -> true color) and window setting (fullscreen/windowed). The driver returns a list of available screen res at given color depth and window setting. SDL then compares the requested settings to those available and returns an error code if the requested one isn't available. Nothing I can do about that.

Feel free to get the source code and fix this problem. It has nothing to do with my code, rather with SDL/OpenGL stuff.
Edward
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Edward »

Hello I am curious about a few things.

Is it posswible to have multi monitor support? IE. One with front wiew and one with rear view?

I would like to be able to not olny have a rear view but a up down left and right view. Is this possible?

Is it possible to have more than two view screens.

I want to make it clear that I'm not asking you to DO this I just want to know if it can be done.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I know you're just asking, "is it possible" leaves no room for interpretation here. ;)

I am afraid I am not gonna add such things. I don't have the time, and I am pretty tired of constantly chaning D2X-W32. I will smooth out bugs seriously hampering gameplay, but that's it for now. :)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

General rule of thumb... when it comes to computers there ain't much that can't be done.

What becomes the issue is a) is it practical, and b) is it worth it.... :)
Edward
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Edward »

Ok thats cool.

On another note I cant get D2X WIN 32 working on one of my computers and I don't know why Diedel if your interested Ill send you a Dxdiag file or any other information just ask. I don't want to post my specs on the forum. I appriaciate your work Diedel.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Edward wrote:I don't want to post my specs on the forum.
Why? Top secret computer or something? :roll:

I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours! lol :lol:
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by 3803 »

Edward's idea sounds cool to me. I'm not sure if it can be done though. I don' know if the screen can be split when the card is in opengl mode. (but it is definitely possible at desktop mode)

Imho this kinda thing really fits descent 1/2, but it would ask a lot from the 3D card...4 screens yay:)

I don't ask nothing, just dreaming :wink:

off topic:
It somehow remembers me of this thing i saw on tv 4 years back or so: this girl playing descent II with a special chair that moved along with the axis of the ship. That was really cool.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Aus-RED-5 wrote:
Edward wrote:I don't want to post my specs on the forum.
Why? Top secret computer or something? :roll:

I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours! lol :lol:
Maybe he doesn't want to be accused of being so lame to show off an uber leet machine. ;)

I love to see specs of uber leet comps. I don't have problems with envy. I mean, if I would like to have such a machine, where's my legitimation to deny it to others? Have a Porsche and be glad with it, I'd be too if I had one. :D

Edward,

it's not the scissor hands causing problems, right?

/duck

j/k :D

I doubt a dxdiag file would help me much. Some basic info about OS, CPU, gfx card?

D2X-W32 also doesn't work properly when certain programs run in the background. See my D2X page for more info.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Honestly, someone has to have a 7800 GTX SLI system. ;)
Edward
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Edward »

It's not a big thing why I don't show my specs it's just that I get yelled at because my video card does not belong is such an unworthy system.

Processor: P III 800 MHz
Ram: 384 MB SD (I think) 3*128 MB
Hard Drive 1: 18 GB 7200 RPM
Hard Drive 2: 28 GB 7200 RPM
Optical: CD 48X Read Olny
Video Card: NVDIA GeForce FX 5500 OC 256 MB at 350 MHz

Note that the mother board olny supports 2X vid cards and olny uses 64 MB of the video ram.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

My system is somewhat worse actually... not much but it is... well, except it supports AGP 4x but that doesn't do much good.
Edward
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Edward »

Well think about it my video card is worth as much as my computer (used) and its hardly preforming at 25% capicity.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Edward,

what OS?
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Edward, If you're uncomfortable posting your specs on the board here, "PM" (private message) Diedle with them. There's an Icon along the top of his post.

and Welcome to the DBB. :D
Edward
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Edward »

I use windows XP Professionel with sp 2.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Did you try to start it in windowed or in fullscreen mode?

You can enable fullscreen by writing "-fullscreen" in d2x.ini, and disable it by writing ";-fullscreen" (the semicolon makes the command a comment).
Edward
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Edward »

Gee do I feel dumb. I haven't even told you the problem.

When I run d2x-w32.exe everything works fine until I try to start a game. Once I go to "New Game" it goes through the brefing then to the "prepare for descent" screen after this point I have to hit Ctrl+Alt+Del.

I get differen't results when I run DESCENT2.EXE. Once I get past the "prepare for descent" screen I get a garbled image like I'm using bad refresh rate.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Reinstall the game and try over. Looks like some corrupted data to me.
Edward
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Edward »

No luck. I put the files on a CD ran them on both computers right off the CD and they worked on one and not on the other. So I'm now 100% sure it's not data corruption.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Small request: Could you please make the deadzone slider be able to adjust by 1 percent instead of every 5? As it is, going between 5 and 10 is like going from having it be way too stiff and way too sensitive. Theres no middle ground for me to choose.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

I just upgraded with D2X-W32 and noticed how annoyingly slow my ship rolls (spirals or banking.. I thinkâ?¦ ).

Is there a way to increase how fast i can roll my ship? Tilting and panning rotation speeds are fine.

oh and here's a pic i made for you all!
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Roll speed is fine imho. It should be just like in D2 (about 2 secs for a 360 deg roll/turn).
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

for fun... by yourself try making the banking rotation speed faster... and see how diffrent you fight. You will like this alot.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

When I played single with no turnspeed cap, it did spin a lot faster.

Counterintuitively, I actually couldn't stand it. Exaggerated response makes for less precision...
spud
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by spud »

bug repot:

I'm using .52. I want the 'widescreen' (looks cool and has best fps) view so I hit f3 a few times to select it. When I die and respawn it switches to full cockpit mode.

spud
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

spud wrote:bug repot:

I'm using .52. I want the 'widescreen' (looks cool and has best fps) view so I hit f3 a few times to select it. When I die and respawn it switches to full cockpit mode.

spud
Well best you not die then huh?? lol j/k j/k :P
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

MD-2389 wrote:Small request: Could you please make the deadzone slider be able to adjust by 1 percent instead of every 5? As it is, going between 5 and 10 is like going from having it be way too stiff and way too sensitive. Theres no middle ground for me to choose.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Negative.