Increase the FOV ! How ?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Descent-forever
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Increase the FOV ! How ?

Post by Descent-forever »

How can i increase FOV in Descent3 ?
Is it possibly ?
For example in Forsaken the FOV is match bigger.
I think fov in game such is a Descent must be mutch bigger.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Field Of View cannot be changed in D3 (AFAIK).
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Floyd »

remove your cockpit by hitting f3. remove hud statistic displays in the depths of the f6 menu and in options (f2) hud config.
the actual apex angle is unchangable. thousands of pilots could handle this until this day, you will too :wink:
bash
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by bash »

readme.txt instructs on how to alter dimensions for widescreen, IIRC, but FOV is fixed.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Aspect can act like FOV I think?
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Nah, changing the FOV would affect how much you can see around your ship in all directions (a FOV of > 180 lets you see above, below, to the left/right, and behind your ship, for example -- such a lens is impossible in the real world).

A better explanation is here.
Descent-forever
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

I saw in Descent3 FOV=180

When you reburn you will see a fov=180 (or something like thet) So it smells like the engin of D3 can do things like that. So i'v ben wanderring, why so many people in so long time (6 years it seems) where do nothing whith this engin, and do not dig out this thing in engin, and don't fix this for us ?

Second exsample - one good weapon "MP" works with fov in one direction, why some programmer man or someone can't fix the fov in enother direction ?
Engin can do it, becos i saw it every time, and it let me out of sleep !!
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

FOV is fixed, this is not QUACK

increasing your FOV will not make up for lack of skill....
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Post by Richard Cranium »

BUBBALOU wrote:increasing your FOV will not make up for lack of skill....
Hear hear! What he said... most of the time I'm just cannon fodder anyway.
Descent-forever
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

"increasing your FOV will not make up for lack of skill.... "

But for D3 this is something like suicide. The game like D3 must have variable FOV. Right (or good) FOV increase skill not only one player, it's increase skill of every one, so the game becomes match more smarter, cunningly and cleverly. So the gamepley becomes better.
Quake3 is a good multiplayer game becaus of many things, and right fov is one of them. D3 can be good multiplayer game too, if some realy ugly things go out from his way.

I still can't understend, why MP can decrease FOV, and no body among D3 fans can not increase it, for better gameplay.
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Floyd »

how long did you say you play this game :?:
Descent-forever
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

:? Why ?
With the advent of Descent 1 demo . Until this day .
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Floyd »

because you are the first to come up with this to my knowledge.
however, this discussion is pretty pointless, since there is no FOV setting in the game, neither will there be one, ever (search this board for "1.5 patch").
Descent-forever
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

you meen thet 1.5 can have something like console comand included ? Or even more - 3-4 mouse axes in menu ?
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

No. 1.4 is what you are stuck with until someone feels like releasing the source code.

You couldn't change the FOV in descent 1 & 2, why start complaing now? Heck, you'd have to force the same FOV for all players in a game - changing the FOV in quake3 doesn't do much if you suck already.
Descent-forever
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

"changing the FOV in quake3 doesn't do much if you suck already."

I'm talk about gameplay, not about gamers. Cool gamer can become in every enother game, like "mines", or "lines" ? It's tell's me nothing.
Every god demen thing which turns Descent's gameplay into a something like "Mines", or "Lines", and which makes gameplay stupidly, whill be stream out from the game in hell !
And experience of best multipleyer game in ever (Q3A)is good pattern and example to check it, and use it
for (and in) GAMEPLAY(!) of Descent3 .

"You couldn't change the FOV in descent 1 & 2, why start complaing now?"

I think D3 is more promising project in all Descent family. I realy LOVE Descent1 and Descent2 but, for the future and Descent gameplay success, D3 have mutch more potential. Espesualy in multiplay. And multiplay is extrimly emportante for Descent !
Because multiplay is onely thing, which can returne popularity to the Descent series in society.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

This thread really isnt getting anywhere...
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Im sorry but most here do NOT consider Q3A to be the greatest multiplayer game, and if you believe that you are waaaay off.

Having one game be based on another that involves different concepts is a bad idea altogether. Quack is a mindless shoot-em-up game and we want something more stimulating. For god's sake playing Quake 3 is like watching paint dry...
Pugwash
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Pugwash »

there is a way to increase your vertical fov but not your horizontal. you dont change anything in descent. if you can figure out what to do d3 will adjust the fov for you. its not really practical to do however it but it can be done.

as for knowing if peeps are around that you cant see, buy some headphones.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Ok I will let you in on a little secret.. you can increase your FOV in Descent to a whole 144 degrees.

While in game press SHIFT+F1!!

Not even Quake can achive that kind of bliss!!!

ENJOY!
Descent-forever
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

2 BUBBALOU

Shift F1 (f2) turns on mirrors. For turne sight from one view to enother eye expend 1.5 - 2 second. It's realy big price for this possibility.

2 Top Wop
About Quake3Arena.
It's good strategy gamen, and action element (if you are not dummy) borrow not a firste place, but a last one, believe me.

2 Pugwash

"there is a way to increase your vertical fov but not your horizontal."

How ?????? Tell me please !
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Descent-forever wrote:Shift F1 (f2) turns on mirrors. For turne sight from one view to enother eye expend 1.5 - 2 second. It's realy big price for this possibility.
1. they are actually cameras, not mirrors (common newb mistake :P) 2. keep in mind that the game was designed the way it is. What you suggest is beyond what the developers had in mind and would change game play substancially. I would call it a cheat.

Edit: and BTW, D3 has a console..
Descent-forever
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

O'h yes, designed.... I'v almoust forgot... It was designed in such the way, which bury down whole Descent ganre in non-existence forever. So deep inside, thet Descent4 (which was planed before) now will never get out at all. D3 has good engin and potential, but awful instant realisation in the game in every thing which touchs the gamepley desitions.
So the gameplay itself becomes weak.
And it's not surprise me. Descent - is a very very unexplored gameplay territory, whith very much underwater mines. And so price of every misteike is realy stupendous.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Anyone else have absolutely no idea what he was trying to say there? :P
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Not really. :P
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Floyd »

Top Gun wrote:Anyone else have absolutely no idea what he was trying to say there? :P
he says that d3 sucks as it is and that it is unplayable :wink:

Descent-forever wrote:O'h yes, designed.... I'v almoust forgot... It was designed in such the way, which bury down whole Descent ganre in non-existence forever. So deep inside, thet Descent4 (which was planed before) now will never get out at all. D3 has good engin and potential, but awful instant realisation in the game in every thing which touchs the gamepley desitions.
So the gameplay itself becomes weak.
And it's not surprise me. Descent - is a very very unexplored gameplay territory, whith very much underwater mines. And so price of every misteike is realy stupendous.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

D3 is unplayable? Crap. Wonder what I've been doing then :(
Descent-forever
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Descent3 shipwrecked on the open market(it's floped). Nothing happendes, just one more death of some strange ganre.
I'm Descent's fan, i can endure everyting, and you do, but someone, who never seeing befor Descent1 or Descent2 were not satisfiected whith Descent3's SUMMARY gameplay (according on the D3 weak sales).
And there was a serious foundation in this discontent.
After Forsaken's succes, ganre have a chance to stend up as a independent and successful ganre, but after Descen3 collapse the ganre becomes dead forever.
And it is sad.

I mean D3 is realy cool, but as it is a separate ganre it must be cool twice, and thrice, and have no mistakes perpetrated in his gameplay at all.

So there is very long way where to grow to.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

D3 flopped for many reasons, one of them having a weak single player gameplay. It was not as suspenseful or exciting as D1 and D2 and those old games are still fun to play even by today's standards. It was not a FOV or ANYTHING. Just exactly what it is. Not everyone plays games online and what made D1 and D2 popular and sell was its singleplayer since not everyone had an internet connection or knew how to connect to other players at that time those 2 games were released. Changing something like FOV is not going to save it, not one or another, nothing.

Another reason why D3 didnt do as well: Quake 3, yes that very game you so love has bastardized the very gaming world as we know it. It gave access to pimple faced teenagers with nothing better to do and opened the door for lemmings to glorify mediocre gameplay and every game that was a clone of another. It brought forth the attitude that if you werent playing a FPS then you are not "leet". People here will disagree with me, but think and realize why every other game that comes out is a FPS and not anything else?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Ground Pounder != FPS

Descent is also a FPS game.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

My bad.

I meant GP.
pATCheS
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pATCheS »

D3's FOV can be changed, but it's tricky and it can be considered cheating since few have the technical know-how to do it. I did it once a long time ago, was nice for seeing those damn shakers chasing after you :)

[Plebedit - So tricky it fell off the board completely. :P]
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

pATCheS wrote:..it can be considered cheating since few have the technical know-how to do it.
It is cheating since it gives you an advantage over virtually every other player. Thx for sharing that..
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

That's a hack I want for a three-monitor setup! Dually screens are usless for gaming unless you can center the reticle in the middle of one of the screens. i.e. Quake in dual-head mode sucks donkey testicles.
Descent-forever
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

It will NOT be cheat.
Small FOV like 10 or 20 is useless, a big one like 160 or 180 is useless too. So the better one FOR GAMEPLAY is somewere between. So why dont we release some thing like patch to fix this unfairness ? It will only makes gameplay muche more intellectual and better.
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Floyd »

yay, another cheat discussion.
short definition for you: if the "update" is not required to play on the servers, which is but the case for all official updates, some will have it and some will not. which means, these who have it will have an advantage over those who don't have it. artificial advantage over others = cheat.
end of story.

if you can't play descent 3 as it is, like thousands did in the last 6 years, find another game.
Descent-forever
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

If someone bury down Descent - i will never stend near and watch it calmly. Descent3 was prepare for us a 6 years ago and did not take some kind of MINIMAL overpatching since thet time(for gameplay).
You bury Descent, YOU did it !
Who needs this kind of game ? Only fans. So boile together in your oun juice.
It came to fact thet Descent3 is not much better then Descent1 !!!!!
Can you imagine thet Doom 1 is better then CS and Quake3Arena ?
Or people around the world playing in Doom and say "NO" to Quake3Arena ?

With DEscent it happen already, and it is one of the reason why D3 floped. And you just bury it deep inside.

We must to save the situation and never take pride in fans steadfastness. It's just stupid.

Servers must support this putch and many more if it improve descent3 gameplay itself.
Better FOV for Descent3's GAMEPLAY is something around 100 or 110. And it must be done.
Garak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Garak »

There's not a damned thing wrong with the FOV in Descent. And it certainly isn't to blame for Descent's lack of popularity as you seem to suggest.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Descent-forever wrote:Servers must support this putch and many more if it improve descent3 gameplay itself.
Better FOV for Descent3's GAMEPLAY is something around 100 or 110. And it must be done.
Sorry, I disagree. The gameplay as-is is just fine. Since it would have to be applied on the client (the server has nothing to do with it) Floyd is right -- some would have it, most wouldn't. Since it creates an advantage for the ones that have it, cheat.
Descent-forever
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Someone have atlonXP+GF2MX, someone Athlon64+GF7800,
so why it is did not consider as a cheat in Doom3 or F.E.A.R ? Someone can play in 1280x1024x90fps
and some one can't even 800x600x15fps ! It is not cheat, but right fov in Descent3 is ? Totally ludicrous.

I never belive thet patch will not be installed for everyone, if it comes, and lie on PlanetDescent as utilite.
So everyone who play Descent3 will inevitably know about such useful thing for playing DEscent3 on the network. It will be installed inevitably for everyone.
ONE - it's increase gameplay itself.
SECOND - someone who never hear about Descent will try it once and it may like him.
So we MUST do every thing to make better D3's gameplay itself.

Of course there is a lot thing to do.
Weapon's revolition one of them.
Will do a mode with vaus-like-onely weapon(MD, Vaus). And meny meny more.