NO Underwater Pic

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Couver_
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

NO Underwater Pic

Post by Couver_ »

Dial Up Warning!!

HUGE PIC!!
Nitrofox125
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Nitrofox125 »

Wow you're not kidding when you say big pic. That's amazing though.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Woof! 4062 x 4544 x 24 BPP ... that, is big!

What a mess! Wish I could do more than scrap together a few donations...
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

What's really disturbing is that almost all of the area shown is flooded. Every little rectangular blip a home destroyed...some still containing a few people that stayed behind and died. When the city is finally drained it'll be a horrorscape of death and disease in the ruins. I don't think the areas under sea level should be rebuilt. Everything should be cleared and people move up on to higher land away from the water. Building any structure under sea level should be made illegal.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Barring under-sea-level construction is foolish. Common sense just dictates that you don't build a city on a floodplain 40 feet below sea level and expect to drain any water into the river that created the flooodplain.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

New Orleans is far from unique in being built on a flood plane. My home is built on a flood plane: if the Waimakariri river bursts the levees in a flood, then only the second story of our home will remain above water, and over 80,000 homes will be swamped. It hasn't happened yet, but it could well do. The only advantage we have here is that the water would find its own way to the sea.

There are literally hundreds and probably thousands of cities worldwide which are built in similarly precarious locations.

The quadruple follies of New Orleans are being below sea level, ocean one side, river another side and a lake on the other. Surely that is just pushing the bounds a little in terms of inviting disaster.

I'm not sure what the plan is for NO, but logic might seem to dictate either abandoning the site all together, or filling the whole thing in and beginning again, which the USA is more than capable of doing, and doing rapidly.

However, I'm sure the outcome will be to reclaim the city, in its existing format, raising the levees an extra amount, and tempting fate once more.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Mobius, What side of NZ do you live on? the West or East?
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

Google Earth has some overlays of the devastation to plug into that program.

http://earth.google.com/katrina.html

Amazing...