japanese guy pilots a working MECH

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

japanese guy pilots a working MECH

Post by roid »

babelfish translated website
(look at the 2 movies)

japantimes news article

this thing is so cool. only took him 2 years to build according to the japantimes article.

disclaimer: it's feet are individually wheeled - although it looks like it is walking it doesn't actually LIFT it's feet at all. but it still looks awesome
Phoenix Red
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Phoenix Red »

This thing is useless (especially with a screaming top speed of less than 1 mile per hour). It upsets me that so much work would be put into producing something so rediculous.
Cuda68-2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Cuda68-2 »

Mech's are coming :evil:
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Phoenix Red wrote:This thing is useless (especially with a screaming top speed of less than 1 mile per hour). It upsets me that so much work would be put into producing something so rediculous.
You could say the same thing about the Wrights first plane and attempted flight at Kittyhawk.
Phoenix Red
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Phoenix Red »

Woodchip, the wright plane was showcasing a concept that had obvious applications but no prototype capable of carrying them out.

This thing has no reason to exist. There's a reason the military/industrial sectors haven't built one of those, and it's because it's a stupid design. The existing blueprints are objectively better.

Seriously, name something that even a refined and developed "gundam suit" could be applied to more appropriately than something that exists, such as a tank.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

LOL

Extremely impractical, but with a fairly high cool factor, specially in Japan.

How to make these bad boys walk? Gigantic gyros? A ginormous Flywheel?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Phoenix Red wrote:Seriously, name something that even a refined and developed "gundam suit" could be applied to more appropriately than something that exists, such as a tank.
About the only thing a "gundam suit" could do that a tank can't already cover would be terrain that would be otherwise impossible to travel in with any wheeled vehicle. But then again, why bother when you can just fly over said terrain? :mrgreen:

I've seen this mech posted a couple times a year, it wins some nerd points but thats about it. :P
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

Amazing, Just amazing!
Edward
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Edward »

The concept of these suits is to simplify opperation of a wepon playtform. A person in one of these would be able to use wepons more efficientally. Take for example sniping, in a tank everything has a limit IE tirret turrning speed and requires a degree of controle that requires lots of training and as many as 6 men to opperate. A well designed mech would be much more capeable of doing more damage than a tank.

Mostly it is more the cool factor.

I think the use of platforms like these could be very effactive the problem being the cost.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

It's the death of the Ebglish Language.

"ridiculous".
"weapon".
"turret".

**SIGH**

They should call it the "Land Shuffler" - because all it does is shuffle. Walking involves picking your feet up off the floor. This thing is about as mobile as a Dalek.

Nice try dude: 9.5/10 for effort. But 1/10 for operational functionality.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Mobius wrote:It's the death of the Ebglish Language.
Can't say I've ever heard of that particular language, Mobius. Care to elaborate? :P
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

What a piece of crap!
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

The whole not-walking thing is killer. It's just an extremely top-heavy tank right now. Walking is what gives stability.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

LOL, could prolly tip it over with my pinky.
bash
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by bash »

Great Halloween costume, though.
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

Interesting mechanical stuff going on there, especially at the "knees", but most people here are right--an ounce of lead would put the thing on its back.
Edward
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Edward »

why lead?
Battlebot
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Battlebot »

cuz lead is heavy
Edward
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Edward »

No it isint.
How much does an ounce of lead weigh?
How much does an ounce of feathers weigh?
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Edward wrote:why lead?
I think he was implying that if you shoot it, the kinetic energy transfer would tip it over.
Sligar
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sligar »

Some possible uses for a working mech:

- urban combat. A mech that was small enough could be an excellent weapon for storming an enemy position inside a building, where a tank can't go.
- Jungle terrain might be a possibility, the mech/armored suit could be a bulletproof point man for an infantry column.
- In the mountains you could climb over ridges that are impassable to conventional heavy weapons.

From what I read there is currently research going on in powered walking assistance, there's some guy in japan working on this. Once such a thing exists, the next step is to add heavier weapons and armor, and scale up from there.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Phoenix Red wrote: Seriously, name something that even a refined and developed "gundam suit" could be applied to more appropriately than something that exists, such as a tank.

Ummm (closes eyes, strikes thoughtful look) shoot orgasmowads at each other thru magnetic railgun penii tubes?
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Phoenix Red wrote:This thing is useless (especially with a screaming top speed of less than 1 mile per hour). It upsets me that so much work would be put into producing something so rediculous.
haha, come on mate he's an ENTHUSIAST, he made it solely for the cool factor - which i think it delivers quite well.
this wasn't made for the military or any company.
Pheonix Red wrote:Seriously, name something that even a refined and developed "gundam suit" could be applied to more appropriately than something that exists, such as a tank.
off the top of my head?
- large scale construction
- difficult terrain

there are quite a few mech projects out there. some serious (see below), some not (see above).

i've been loosely following the MECHAPS project over the years, it's is the most serious one out there if you ask me.
Unlike the guy in the OP, the MECHAPS guys are building a true walking and working mech, not for a personal project but as a prototype for true industrial use.
WarAdvocat wrote:How to make these bad boys walk? Gigantic gyros? A ginormous Flywheel?
i'm not sure what this guy is using, but you can hear the engine/s whirring along in the first video.
the mechaps guys are using simple diesel engines (not hydraulics).
will_kill
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by will_kill »

I see the Japanese storming the industrial market in the not too distant future. I'm a semi-retired heavy equipment operator and I see all kinds of potential here...remember what woodchip and Cuda said @ the very beginning??
Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

This thing is perfect for killing that pesky Robocop.
bash
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by bash »

And his little Robodog!
Phoenix Red
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Phoenix Red »

Urban combat? Tanks shoot through walls.
Jungle combat? Tanks drive through trees.
Large scale construction? Glorified cherry pickers are simpler and more flexible.
Rock climbing? ...lol?

ps mobius you made a typo once
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Phoenix Red wrote:Rock climbing? ...lol?
(note: "rock climbing"... you said it first)
why not, you're the one who suggested a "Gundam Style Mech" in the first place. i've not seen the show before but i imagine they are dextrous enough to augment their footing with their arms/hands.

back to reality though. walking vehicles are already around in some forms - generally because of their terrain advantages. but these have all had 4 or more legs (more often 6, like that long forestry logging vehicle we saw years ago - i can't remember it's name). 2 legged walking vehicles are quite rare however, as it stands now there are no 2 legged large vehicles - this is changing.
will_kill
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by will_kill »

roid wrote:......this is changing.
as is technology :)