Getting Back Into Descent Part 2

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Nexus_One
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Getting Back Into Descent Part 2

Post by Nexus_One »

OK, so I was able to successfully play 2 games so far. Now the damn game wont even work, I keep getting a main.exe error when I try to join a game.

I can't get the f*cking game to install on my Windows XP hard drive so I'm having to run it off of my old hard drive. WTF am I supposed to do to make this thing work?

I cannot get the install to complete ever. F*ck the FAQ's and the stickys, this has nothing to do with them. I'm getting pissed off here and need to fix this damn problem now. I know some people out there are running D3 on XP, I need to know how. Someone please post an answer here that I will be able to understand and duplicate.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Tech forum is there for a reason bro.

btw, I seriously suggest you go to the website for your hard drive's manufacturer and download their diagnostic tool and run it.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

If the game won't install on your OS HD you've got bigger problems than D3.

game won't run checklist:

Patched properly? (start a singleplayer game after initial install, quit and THEN install Mercenary and/or 1.4 patch)
Commandline?
Graphics Quality Settings? On high? Turn to LOW. Weapons effects seem to cause crashes.
Change renderer to OpenGL? Else, Change renderer to D3D.
Correct audio device set in launcher?
Sound Settings? (use most basic sound option available in launcher. The closer to the top of the list the better. Software is best)
Install latest video drivers, else DOWNGRADE.
Install latest sound drivers, else DOWNGRADE.
Posted in TECH FORUM? Used DBB SEARCH FEATURE?

D3 runs fine on my Athlon 64 3000+/Geforce 6800 GT system under WinXP. The only issue I have is crashes with weapon effects turned on.
Nexus_One
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Nexus_One »

War, what settings are you using for running D3? I'd rather not have to go through the hassle of trying to install D3 again, as it just will not install. I think maybe I have a bad disk, although I don't see how that could have happened.

What are some other people settings who have similar machines to mine? My specs can be found in the tech forum under the post "Ordered My New Machine Last Night."
Scratch
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Scratch »

If you still have your old hard drives with D3 installed -- you could just copy the contents of that drive to your new one and create a new short-cut.

That's what I have done in the past and works fine.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

I've installed and run D3 on XP (SP2) at least four times now, without any issues.

If one of your D3 disks is bad, I can see that causing the problem(s). In that case, copying from a previous (good) installation, or somehow getting a replacement disk, would be your best bet, I think.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

First off, let's have this post moved to the tech forum, please :)

Second, when I get home I'll run down my settings exhaustively for you.

Thirdly, there is a "multiplayer-only" version of D3 that should be available if you look in the right places. (ie: ask in IRC chat and spend more than 3 minutes logged in. I know I am usually near the keyboard on that computer, but playing other games, so I only look over occasionally)

Watch this space for more :)
Nexus_One
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Nexus_One »

If a mod could please move this to the tech forum I would appreciate it greatly, thanks. And thanks for the help War.

I'm not sure just moving the program would help much, that just changes the location, it doesn't fix the problem does it?
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Sorry, I got tied up last night... I'll get it tonight.
Scratch
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Scratch »

Well the d3 really doesn't need to be installed. You really don't need that D3 launcher eh? I've had new systems built in the past and I just copied it from one system to the other without running the install.

Created a shortcut with all my command line options and the game ran flawlessly. You could give that a shot...
Nexus_One
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Nexus_One »

Well gosh, thanks for the help WarAdvocate. Scratch you never did tell me how moving a file will fix it. Maybe I should just try to locate a new D3 on ebay?
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

My computer is much crappier, but I never had any differnece from running it on XP than on '98.

I think "New" D3 is like 3 bucks on Amazon?
Scratch
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Scratch »

I was thinking that you had D3 installed on 2 drives...if you have the main.exe on another drive you could just copy it over...that was my point.

And now that I think about -- I never had problems installing this on XP either...get on Testi's FTP and copy is main.exe to your pc...see if that works.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Nexus: Sorry I work in roofing in a hurricane State ;)

Directx 9.0c
78.01 Nvidia Forceware (drivers)

D3 Launcher Settings:
Video Tab: OpenGL
Audio Tab - Device: Realtek AC97 Audio (my onboard sound. I had problems using primary sound driver)
Audio Tab - Available Mixers: DirectSound.
Speed Tab: Medium (don't bother autodetecting)
Network: LAN/Direct + T1,ADSL, ETC
Misc Tab - Commandline: -deadzone0 0.0 -deadzone1 0.0 -framecap 0 -width 1280 -height 1024 -nointro -nomusic -nopentium3 -nooutragelogo -nosparkles -nomotionblur -nocompress -z32bit -usesmoothing -playermessages

I don't know how the z32bit snuck in there but it's probably not necessary.

D3 INGAME settings:
Video - bilinear & mip mapping on, vsync off.
Detail - fast headlight, dynamic, fog, scorch marks ON. Object complexity LOW
Sound - LOW QUALITY, SFX Quantity 30 (this is default)
General: All default except autolevel off.
Hud: All text
Config: Adjust as you see fit :)
Nexus_One
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Nexus_One »

In a lot of levels I get a purplepyro.oof error that shuts down D3 altogether. Anyone know how to fix this?

Changing the Graphics settings seems to have fixed some of the problems I was having. Now if I could fix this I might have more problems fixed.
Scratch
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Scratch »

sounds like you are missing the mercenary pack..